Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
Russell Reay

Default Torque wrench

This isn't specific to Model As, but that is the challenge du jour. I just replaced an axle shaft, and need to reassemble the carrier. Fortunately I was able to punch the corresponding halves to be sure they went back together correctly, and was able to hold the spider gears in place so they are all back where they belong. The book says to torque the carrier nuts to 30-35 lbs. I have a torque wrench--probably from NAPA- that I haven't used for 15 yrs. It is the type with a knurled handled which you turn to the desired setting, then lock in place with a knob at the bottom. When the setting is reached the handle snaps--very easy to use. However, the nuts never get tight enough to trip the wrench. I set a nut and bolt into the frame of my A to use as a test site, and the wrench trips every time at a modest pressure-35 lbs seems realistic. Having no luck with my wrench, I borrowed a neighbor's. His is the same design, made by Tekton, but my experience is almost the same. In tightening the carrier nuts, I think they are way too tight before tripping the wrench. I was able to trip two, did not dare tighten others any more, then stripped the threads on one before it tripped. Fortunately I have another carrier I can rob nuts and bolts from. Do they still make the torque wrenches with a needle pointer ? What's the problem?
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote