Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default Whhat happens to the Title ?

What happens to the title of a old car with a title that is sold to someone that lives in a state that does not require a title on old cars. it is then registered & in a short time is sold to someone from a state requiring a title??
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Tony, NY

Default Re: Whhat happens to the Title ?

The new state, where registered, recognizes the old title or registration as proof of ownership (signed over) and takes it with the paperwork.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Most likely now it gets electronically copied then shredded
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
woodiewagon46

I had a beautiful title, issued by New York State in 1946. It had assorted colors and engravings almost like dollar and other denomination bills, so it couldn't be forged. When I went to my local DMV, I asked if I could keep it because I wanted to frame it, but I had to surrender it and it was shredded. Broke my heart but the clerk didn't want to hear it.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
zedbyers

Maine won't title anything beyond 25 years. they could have cared less when i went to see them with the title i had, and would not even accept it. so i have a Michigan title for my vehicle that will remain in my possession. the problem with this that i see, is what if a title wasn't conveyed at a sale, the new owner wasn't worried about it because their state doesn't require them, and then someone showed up later on with a title that indicated they were the owner? could get messy....
zedbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
WRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
I had a beautiful title, issued by New York State in 1946. It had assorted colors and engravings almost like dollar and other denomination bills, so it couldn't be forged. When I went to my local DMV, I asked if I could keep it because I wanted to frame it, but I had to surrender it and it was shredded. Broke my heart but the clerk didn't want to hear it.
Think I would have figured out a way to apply for a lost title. About 15 years ago a family member, cleaning up an estate, turned in a valid 1947 California Pick Slip, or title for an old Ford. The car had been registered every year since 1954 and was non op. All because of a name change. They photocopied it but it's history now.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #7
41LjH

North Carolina requires a title on every vehicle regardless of age
If a title is not available the vehicle must be appraised and bonded for the appraised value. After that it takes 3 to 6 months to get in North Carolina title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
34pickup

In Alabama, you cannot get a title for a car built before 1975, even if you have the title they won't recognize it. So I registered my car and sold the title to a guy who buys and sells them. The numbers didn't match my car anymore anyway and I will never sell it again so the title was a useless piece of paper to me.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
BILL WZOREK

I Guess I did not SPLAIN my self good >>> Titled car is sold to someone from a non titled state & registered in that non titled state said title becomes null & void >>> Then in a bit of time said car is sold to some one in a titled state what happens then ?
Wouldn't a title search show the car is owned by the previous owner ?
Old 06-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

In Kansas, you can send in the frame numbers, they do a check and issue you a title(s). I sent in four set of frame numbers and received four titles. My other cars had existing titles so that is what they use. My understanding is they run the numbers, no mater what the source, and if the numbers come back clean they will issue a new title. What you need to register/tag a vehicle is normally a bill of sale.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
redmodelt

I guess if the numbers match car/title send it with the car.
I would think if I bought a car from someone in Maine and had it shipped to Oregon (requires title) they would have to accept the paper work issued by the state of Maine used to register the car there and a bill of sale from the seller/owner releasing the car. If everything was in order and a few $'s and a out of state VIN inspection, the Oregon Title would be issued.
The original Title would only be good if it came with a bill of sale, sold to me the Oregon buyer if you had not put it in your name.
If you were to keep the title and later pass it on to someone else and they tried to use it, and if the the VIN was checked, there could be a real mess.
I am not a professional in this matter these are just my observations.

To put a little more info in dealing with the Oregon DMV. To get the lost title for the 1948 F2 (it was in my Great Uncle Joe's name RIP) in to my Dad's name, Dad had been through probate more then 10 to 15 years ago when he inherited the farm he grew up on but didn't do anything about getting the title. The PU has been sitting for that long. It took Mom 6 trips to the DMV to get all the i's dotted and t's crossed the right way with the necessary wills and death certificates before a new title would be issued in Dads name, and let me tell you each time something different was needed.

Oregon is one of the states that you better have all the right paper work or it's a no go.

Last edited by redmodelt; 06-06-2015 at 08:17 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #12
Tony, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
I Guess I did not SPLAIN my self good >>> Titled car is sold to someone from a non titled state & registered in that non titled state said title becomes null & void >>> Then in a bit of time said car is sold to some one in a titled state what happens then ?
Wouldn't a title search show the car is owned by the previous owner ?
You're making this more complicated than it is. A title is a piece of paper that says you are the owner. A new title will be sent to you. The title is only good in the state where issued.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
BILL WZOREK

The point is the car once had a title / then registered where no title is needed or recognized / upon then trying to register once again in a titled state would the old title rear it's ugly head ?
Old 06-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #14
Tinker

I would think... If title was sold and used somewhere else on a running vehicle you would certainly be up for some fun. Otherwise If there was no lean and/or if it was not reported stolen then it'd be fine. Who knows though. Probably depends on how many years too.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
BILL WZOREK

Tinker check your email >>
Old 06-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #16
redmodelt

You need to check with the state it's going to. Truth is, this is one of the 50 states do as each states want things. Each state has their own rules.
Once you have the car IN YOUR name that becomes the current proof of ownership. The old title is just a piece of paper that traces the history of the car if someone wanted to check it's provenance.

To put a harry twist on this, if I sell a car from Oregon to someone out of state, and if that title is still on the books here in Oregon and if* I do not send in the paperwork that shows the buyer and date sold to the DMV, that car can still show up in my name. Same thing for cars sold in state if the title is not transferred to new owner name if I don't send a sold notice to them.

Bottom line is I would get the car put in my name and then contact the state it came from and check with them.

Last edited by redmodelt; 06-07-2015 at 09:11 AM. Reason: *added the word if
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #17
5851a

The USA needs a SAE standard for vehicle registrations and titles. They change the rules here every time I go to the courthouse, you bring in every last thing you needed last time including the corpse of the previous owner and they ask "where is his wife"? They are the Gods in power and they know it. Put your best smile on, give them a compliment, bring doughnuts coffee and flowers and pray.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #18
Cecil/WV

Bill, you could have the same scenario if I had got duplicate title and gave it to the person going to a non title state and would still have the original in my hands?
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #19
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
The USA needs a SAE standard for vehicle registrations and titles. They change the rules here every time I go to the courthouse, you bring in every last thing you needed last time including the corpse of the previous owner and they ask "where is his wife"? They are the Gods in power and they know it. Put your best smile on, give them a compliment, bring doughnuts coffee and flowers and pray.
come to taxachussets they don't work for the same company, they want to
be a separate country. they look at you as a crook they act like the SS.
I went thru this with a 1923 Ford all state paper work from the state i bought
it from REJECTED. These brain deads actually wanted me to get a signed
bill of sale from the origional owner. So I dig her grave up? so, owner no.1
died in 1943 no.2 didn't do anything with it as well as owner 3, so I am
no 4 owner. After high blood press= I think I'll tell em I stole it, call 911
throw a monkey wrench in there shut em down. When I left I said "you
know what a jolley roger flag means? No problem unscrew my pick up
plates and go for it. Hell $100 fine equals getting stoped 10 times same
thing as plates & insurance. And then my kid says give me them papers?
within 20 min. he comes back with plates & registration, he even got a
sticker for it. OK, the reg says 1923 Ford 4 dr sedan ? it is not its a touring
car, know what? run with it, dont go back don't do nothing, if you do, its
all over again. Mass RMV is the richest money scam maker and they claim
poverty. This weeks run in with them+we bought new 1950 F6 I have title
from 1972 when titles started here. These new dopes never seen titles like
this, it says mass rmv right. they say prove it i say you printed it ?????
sorry for ranting but I hate the registry since day one. Once upon a time
you go there and 5 bucks stamp done. Then dastardly computors come along
now. Why would a gov dept put more investigation on a 100yr old vehicle
then worring about a Boston bomber????? I pitty our children
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #20
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRA View Post
valid 1947 California Pick Slip, or title for an old Ford.
Slight typo, its a PINK slip.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #21
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
In Alabama, you cannot get a title for a car built before 1975, even if you have the title they won't recognize it. So I registered my car and sold the title to a guy who buys and sells them. The numbers didn't match my car anymore anyway and I will never sell it again so the title was a useless piece of paper to me.
Sad to say, but when you are gone eventually SOMEONE will have to sell it, and I'll bet they would be happy to have a title to make their job easier.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #22
Scott H in Wheaton

I was fortunate here in Illinois. Bought my 36 pickup locally from what started as an Ebay ad. Met the seller and did a cash deal.

Frame was so pock-marked with rust there was no way to see any of the supposed frame numbers. Engine and trans had been swapped. Basically no more numbers remaining from original. But it DID come with a Michigan title for a '36 Ford pickup from the 1960's.

Turned in the title with my $$ and 3-4 weeks later got my brand new Illinois title. So here anyway, even an old out of state title can be helpful.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #23
47 flatbed

There should definitely be some standard titling system for all states. Ohio is horrible! Bought my wife's 41 pu with bill of sale from montanna (don't ever buy am thing from Missoula montanna Kevin Littel is a crook) ohio still has not issued me a title 500 in attorney and court cost and as far as their concerned there is no record and will not issue me a title.
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
I was fortunate here in Illinois. Bought my 36 pickup locally from what started as an Ebay ad. Met the seller and did a cash deal.

Frame was so pock-marked with rust there was no way to see any of the supposed frame numbers. Engine and trans had been swapped. Basically no more numbers remaining from original. But it DID come with a Michigan title for a '36 Ford pickup from the 1960's.

Turned in the title with my $$ and 3-4 weeks later got my brand new Illinois title. So here anyway, even an old out of state title can be helpful.
Sounds so simple, huh? I really hope you never have to PROVE that truck is YOURS, like if you go to sell it, or if it's stolen, or if you ever have to make an insurance claim (the adjuster WILL inspect the serial number), or if someone makes a liability claim against YOUR insurance on "that" truck. Just sayin'.......! It could get really ugly. That little piece of paper don't mean squat if there are no numbers to back it up. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #25
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Sounds so simple, huh? I really hope you never have to PROVE that truck is YOURS, like if you go to sell it, or if it's stolen, or if you ever have to make an insurance claim (the adjuster WILL inspect the serial number), or if someone makes a liability claim against YOUR insurance on "that" truck. Just sayin'.......! It could get really ugly. That little piece of paper don't mean squat if there are no numbers to back it up. DD
If I care to re-title it the DMV says to bring my existing title along with the bill of sale of the replacement frame I used (because the replacement frame was rust free and had clear numbers on it) and they will issue a generic number from Illinois. The point being is everything is much easier if you have documentation!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #26
34pickup

Quote:
Sad to say, but when you are gone eventually SOMEONE will have to sell it, and I'll bet they would be happy to have a title to make their job easier.
Not if they sell it here in this state or other non title states. The title didn't match anyway so someone must have found a title and registered it to this car. Not really legal I think.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #27
TagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post

That had to be a registration, not a title. NYS never issued titles until 1972.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:47 AM   #28
WRA

Quote:
Slight typo, its a PINK slip.
Thanks, blasted auto correct, didn't even see that one
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote