Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
bobpo

Default Front end wobble

I just went for a ride and a couple of miles down the road where I had to cross a set of RR Tracks. Quite uneven at that.

As I crossed the angled tracks slowly, the front end of the coupe started wobbling badly. I couldn't have been traveling more than 5-8 mph. I had to brake to a complete stop and head back home.

I could not find anything loose, so I am wondering why at this time, I would I be getting the wobbling. I have crossed these same tracks many times before in the same manner.

Any help would be appreciated..................: confused:
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
cliffy

Default Re: Front end wobble

my car wobbles when going slow after hitting bumps and i've been told the steering needs rebuilt but im not sure it would be same for your problem
cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Gord. B by the bay

Something in the steering parts and pieces are loose, or out of line, such as toe-in or toe out, loose wheel bearings Gord, B by the bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Ifr you think of all the different parts that move in the steering of the Model A.
All the balls that can get out of round, springs that can weaken, bushing wear, etc, a very little play in each of these areas add up to a great deal of play and wobble.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Special Coupe Frank

What everyone above said...

My coupe used to do this every time I hit a significant bump travelling between 10 & 20 mph... did not / does not do it at speeds above 25-30 mph.

After tightening-up stuff like steering-arm to spindle bolts and related hardware, that largely went away...

My steering gear (Gemmer) is worn, the pitman-shaft bushings are way beyond "shot", and there is some slop in the drag link... then there is a slop in the king-pins.

I am planning to rebuild the steering gear and front axle while the car is laid-up for the winter.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Tacoma Bob

Well granted it can be all of the aforementioned stuff but don't overlook your wishbone ball. This will surely start a 6X6 conversation (six voting one way and six the other) as to which way to cure it. Either the rubber ball or the correct method.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
bobpo

Wow..! Well, I'd have to start with the fact that the font end suspension is all new, so I have to think that something is just not tight enough.

So, that's where I'll start. Thanks.................
Old 10-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

bobpo .....................
As people have said, many things can cause this.
My '34 used to do that. I tightened each tie-rod end, a half turn, and it has not done that since. Perhaps, you can be so lucky.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Special Coupe Frank

Things might have loosened-up / seated / worn-in to a working fit during the miles since it was "all-new"...

Definitely check the steering-arms where they bolt into the spindles ( big castle-nuts & cotter pins on the front side of each steering knuckle ); the steering arms area tapered-fit, and if they weren't entirely seated at time if initial assembly, they could have loosened...

Could be a similar thing with the ends on the tie rods and drag-link...

Trace your way through the steering linkage with a helper, from road-wheels back to the steering wheel, noting any place you see lost-motion...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
V4F

i use the nylon cups in my ends . after driving it for awhile , i rechecked my ends . i think i only found one that would tighten up enuff to put the key back in . maybe check the toe in ... steve
Old 10-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
BigErn

Hello Bobpo,

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and got a lot of great help from this site. Mine did not shimmy until I hit a bump. I checked everything for loosness and the only thing I could find loose was a sloppy steering box. I started to check everything in the Anderson book, and this is the embarassing part, it turns out that the tire pressure was low (like 10 psi) . I pumped the tires back up to 34 psi and wobble was gone.
BigErn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Is this the first and only time it's happened?? You say e/thing rebuilt?
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
bobpo

Yep, the whole front end was rebuilt before I got it.

HOWEVER, I jacked the front end up and found the left front wheel was really loose. I popped the cap, removed the cotter pin and turned the nut in about 3 full turns before it bottomed out. Backed it off a bit and now hoping that this did the trick. Can't take it for a drive until later this week, so we'll see.

I'll let you know........
Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
Yep, the whole front end was rebuilt before I got it.

HOWEVER, I jacked the front end up and found the left front wheel was really loose. I popped the cap, removed the cotter pin and turned the nut in about 3 full turns before it bottomed out. Backed it off a bit and now hoping that this did the trick. Can't take it for a drive until later this week, so we'll see.

I'll let you know........

That would do it. Any looseness in any part of the steering system will do it.

good luck with the test drive
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

I think you found the cause with the loose wheel bearings. I drove a guy's Model A that also had a shimmy and found his left wheel bearing 3 or 4 turns loose and his right wheel bearing 2 1/2 turns too loose.

Also, many flywheel covers have worn packets for the two bolts that hold the wishbone ball caps in place. When the bolt head pockets wear the bolts drop down lower and can leave the caps a bit loose. I've had to make spacers to bring the bolts back to the correct height.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
bobpo

Sorry I wasn't able to respond to this post in the last few days (had to undergo some radiation in my brain area, very small I might add, LOL) but I did take "Miss Tillie" out for coffee this morning. (@30 degrees) Had to cross several sets of RR tracks of course and I did get a bit of wobble once.

I will now check the wishbone mount. In answer to Flamingo's question, it is a new rebuild so I'm sure lots of things will need to be re-tightened. I will now be doing that too.

Thanks for all the input "again". You fellas are life savers.............
Old 10-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #17
Mike

bob,
try pulling the cotter pins on the spring perch nuts! tighten those then check your front spring shackles

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #18
bobpo

Now are you talking about the "spring Perch Nuts" that secure the ball of the front wishbone? The castle nuts on this cup is about 3/4". If so, I will try that too...

I also noticed that the bolt that secures the right front balljoint to the tie rod has the nut about 10 turns loose. It was just barely on the bolt. That has now been tightened too.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
Bill Goddard

Seems to me you should recheck the entire front end rebuild. Also look at the steering box weather that's the cause or not. My steering wheel had excessive slop and I found the roller bearings had fallen out of the cages and were floating around in the grease. Could have caught one in a gear sector and jammed the steering.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote