Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
bobpo

Default Loud muffler...?

The Muffler on my '30 coupe looked new but it seemed to be loud. Especially after we returned from French Lick last year and heard all the others.

So, I bought a new muffler from LeBaron-Bonney, heat painted it and installed it on the coupe. Sounds the same. All connections are tight. All the noise is coming out the rear.

Now since my car is a driver, would there be a problem cutting the muffler off the pipe and welding a newer muffler in it's place? Like a glass pack.

Has anyone done this?
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Default Re: Loud muffler...?

The cheaper mufflers are louder than the Aries mufflers. I had one of the old Midas mufflers from the 70s on one of my cars and it was alot louder than the Aries that's on the other cars.

I understand there's someone else making a 'budget' muffler, so maybe they're using the same design as the old Midas mufflers.

You can put a modern muffler on your car, but you'll loose alot of that unique Model A sound. It's quieter, but it doesn't sound like a Model A anymore. Your car your decision!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
bobpo

No I don'twant to loose that Model A sound. That's what these little cars are all about. They have the coolest sound in existence. Not to mention the sound of the transmission. Definitely cool.
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Tinker

I have the Aries HiPro muffler. It sounds great. The HiPro is supposed to be the louder one of the two types they offer. It's still quiet! Which I like. It definitely sounds like a model A.

I would think a glass pac would be really loud? I had a straight pipe on my A when I received it. Sounded like an airplane! Way too LOUD!!!!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
MrTube

I have to respectfully disagree. The Kohler K series has the coolest sound.

http://youtu.be/eGvPW-GNsAk

MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
The Muffler on my '30 coupe looked new but it seemed to be loud. Especially after we returned from French Lick last year and heard all the others.

So, I bought a new muffler from LeBaron-Bonney, heat painted it and installed it on the coupe. Sounds the same. All connections are tight. All the noise is coming out the rear.

Now since my car is a driver, would there be a problem cutting the muffler off the pipe and welding a newer muffler in it's place? Like a glass pack.

Has anyone done this?
When buying anything for your car in the future I strongly recommend staying within the specialty or specialties of the particular vendor. You then stand a better chance of receiving knowledgeable advise as well as better products.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. The Kohler K series has the coolest sound.

http://youtu.be/eGvPW-GNsAk

I agree that the K series Kohler has a great sound and when I putt around with my original Cub Cadet at the Le Sueur swap meet the people love to hear the sound. Now, I need to find another original muffler for it as a spare, so I don't loose the sound.

I have an Aries stainless on my Model A and like the fit and sound. I bought it on ebay as a dent return for half price, but I haven't seen these deals listed since I bought mine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
MrTube

Tom,
Kohler made those engines up until the mid to late 90s I believe so it should be pretty easy to find an OEM Kohler muffler for it. They were the same from the 60s until the end of production to my knowledge.

Though this is not an OEM one its the same overall style.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ima...t_275679-S.gif
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote