Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
steve hackel

Default Pictures, part #s, instructions; rebuilding a 39 style trans.

I just purchased a good housing and tower with a shifter, along with many good parts, enough to be a complete assembly. I have most of it apart, needs a main cluster, reverse idler, and probably the large sliding gear, along with the usual bearings and syncros etc. I have only done model A' transmissions so this is new to me. What are good sources of parts, either NOS or good replacements, and where can I get a schematic of the trans with its parts exploded - possibly a step by step instruction as to how it all comes apart and then back together? Thanks in advance for any help. Steve
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Default Re: Pictures, part #s, instructions; rebuilding a 39 style trans.

Mac van Pelt
Tel 513-724-9486
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
Mac van Pelt
Tel 513-724-9486

And click the link below for a little more info on MacVP's book! DD

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...trans-book.htm

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
flatjack9

Excellent book. All you need to know.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:10 AM   #5
tubman

I have to go through the OD transmission I am putting in my '51. Is there much in Mac's book that is applicable to the later transmissions or is it pre-49 only? I realize it probably doesn't cover the OD, but I already have the manual for that.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:00 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve hackel View Post
I just purchased a good housing and tower with a shifter, along with many good parts, enough to be a complete assembly. I have most of it apart, needs a main cluster, reverse idler, and probably the large sliding gear, along with the usual bearings and syncros etc. I have only done model A' transmissions so this is new to me. What are good sources of parts, either NOS or good replacements, and where can I get a schematic of the trans with its parts exploded - possibly a step by step instruction as to how it all comes apart and then back together? Thanks in advance for any help. Steve
Steve, as already mentioned by V8COOPMAN....get a copy of Mac Van Pelt's great book on these Early Ford 3 speed transmissions....Mac and his book can be an immense help to you during your transmission build/rebuild, plus there are many other members here who also have experience working on these transmissions, and can help you with their information.

This would make a great tutorial thread for other members to learn by...if you keep posting your questions here, plus the progress of your rebuild, and include pictures as you make that progress. Just a thought.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
V8COOPMAN

And since Steve asked about parts, I didn't even think to mention that Mac VP is "THE" early V8 trans parts go-to guy for ANY trans parts you may need. In fact, check-out Mac's entire web site. It's unbelievable the parts he has available in his on-line catalog, not to mention the old Ford information and drawings he has, many of which can be found nowhere else on the internet. Click the link below, and bookmark it! DD

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
hotrodart

I used to rebuild one of these every week many moons ago........I have one tip that might be helpful: when assembling the cluster gear with all the bearings, I used a wood dowel (of the correct diameter), but cut it just long enough to allow the cluster to be inserted into the case with everything in tact. I used wheel bearing grease to retain the bearings. Then you can insert the thrust washers and push the steel rod for the whole thing through the case without having ti worry about the bearings falling out.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Mac's book doesn't cover the T-259 types but the gear portion is still pretty similar. A person should get the factory shop manual to work on the OD types. They come apart a bit differently and there is the whole OD output system & sprag clutch to deal with. Check the balk ring & gear plate for proper tension on the balk ring. Check the planetary gears real close on the R10 transmissions too. Mac can still help with parts on the overdrive types and he stocks a lot of good stuff. I always replace the heavy snap rings with his kit. They originals are a b!tch to get out and his are much better plus they are the correct thickness. He has a good thrust bearing kit too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
steve hackel

I have ordered the books from Vern Tardel and also Mac Vanpelt and once they arrive I can use them to identify the gears that are damaged (for replacement numbers) and start with a list of items I will need for the rebuild; syncros, bearings, shims and spacers, gasket set etc. I have pictures of the trans before disassembly and will take more as I have things cleaned up and can compare them to the chapters in the books. I had not planned on doing a "trans build" article, but now that I have most of the parts cleaned it might be fun to follow along. I have only done model A' Ford and G.M. T-10, so this is somewhat of a challenge. I will keep you posted...
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #11
rotorwrench

It doesn't get real fun till you get into the 4-speed overdrives and the 5-speed overdrives. All the old Ford ones are pretty similar until the T86 top loaders came out. The 4-speeds just added another gear to a 3-speed design in the early ones. The T-10 was a lot like the older T85 except you could get a T-85 with an R11 overdrive. Those were the precursor to the T-10 and could take a lot of torque. The T85 R11N can take a 390 in front and work pretty well.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
Bored&Stroked

One thing to note is that the condition of the main drive shaft 'snout' (where the caged bearing rides) is critical. I've seen a lot of folks using very worn or pitted main drive shafts and then wonder why they have issues with 2nd gear wanting to automagically drop out of gear during deceleration. Also, having a tight fitment of the 2nd gear inner bushing to the main drive shaft is also important. I've worked with Charlie NY to redo the bushings on even NOS 2nd gears - to make them have a slight drag on the main shaft. This seems to really help 2nd gear staying in gear - even on high RPM decelerations.

My recent 39 trans has never popped out of 2nd gear - which is something that a lot of rebuilt transmissions tend to do (which drives me nuts!). Just some info to consider in your inspection of parts and overall rebuild efforts.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote