Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
Newc

Default UPS loses Package !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a heads up! UPS has lost a 40 lb package to my customer. A rare auto part of course. Interestingly the package went from a UPS store onto their van and vanished! No scan of it ever showed up. The driver never scanned it and when "unloaded' into the warehouse it was never scanned! all violations of their SOP. "Oh" we're so sorry". I think the driver stole it; the contents were Not identified though. I have since heard stories of giant UPS auctions of unclaimed goods? Even USPS has done this to me... found a 'Lost' USPS shipment sitting in Alaska for 30 days. Thanks for reading my rant. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
1948F-1Pickup

Default Re: UPS loses Package !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't surprise me.
Up at a new account this week in San Jose. They were shipped 4 pallets of
product from Indiana. Only one pallet arrived.
NOBODY knows where the missing pallets are. Hard to take.
We're talking $10K worth of stuff here.

Your story of a UPS box gone missing doesn't raise my eyebrow.
I could tell you many UPS stories. I shipped for a living for a couple
of companies in my youth.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
A bones

When ya got an itch ya gotta scratch. Terrible event, Hoping you can get a replacement.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
alanwoodieman

I shipped two RAILROAD cars from Ala. to SC -shipped at the same time from the same place-one was delivered to me the second was missing for over 2 years and was finally found intact in Washington State, had not been opened or messed with, just got lost, so yes a package can be lost if a RR car can be!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
tubman

I had a similar problem with Fedex. I sold a pair of "Double Nickel" (part number ending in "55") heads from a '55 Chrysler to a guy in Wisconsin. They never showed up, no record of anything but them leaving my premises. I went through all of the available channels, and finally received one greasy SBC "Smog" head in a marginal package. They called it good after that and would not respond to my calls or emails. I am convinced that these companies have some employees that are conversant with good parts, and will pilfer them when the occasion arises and are able to conceal their misdeeds through "official" company channels.

Lately, I have absolutely no faith in the American public.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #6
Krylon32

40 years in the hot rod business shipping boxes of parts, frames, pallets of chassis parts by truck, UPS, Fed X and USPS, I could write a book.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #7
ursus

And yet one can order a bar of soap via Amazon for next day delivery 3000 miles away...
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #8
tomcarman

I'm in shipping. Have been for 10 years. I've shipped over the scale, LTL and TL. Thousands and thousands of packages and pallets. My advice is if you have a valuable package don't cheap out. Buy insurance for your shipment. Track your package. It is highly unlikely that shipping workers steal and resell items. Most all of the package handlers are hired from the neck down. It is a fast paced athletic job requiring muscle, not brains. It is not surprising that some packages out of the millions that the 3 major carriers handle get misdirected or lost, and yes in some cases stolen. Nonetheless, how else would one get a package from point A to B?
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:14 PM   #9
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
I shipped two RAILROAD cars from Ala. to SC -shipped at the same time from the same place-one was delivered to me the second was missing for over 2 years and was finally found intact in Washington State, had not been opened or messed with, just got lost, so yes a package can be lost if a RR car can be!
Just out of curiosity, how did you ship those rail cars?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #10
Fordors

You seem very sure of your accusation toward the driver, how do you know that the package ever left the UPS store? Being a franchise operation I think it may be possible that an employee of the store could have taken it. Was the item packed and wrapped by you or did the store pack, or maybe repack a heavy item to their standards? That could account for “all violations of their SOP.”, it may never have gotten near a UPS truck.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:19 AM   #11
Karl

My Father used to ship gold necklaces and bracelets for resale from Australia to New Zealand . The cost of insurance was so much that the whole exercise became cost ineffective so he followed the example of the biggest jeweller in this country who brought from the same supplier -He shipped in plain packaging in "small' volumes uninsured but tracked . He did it for 10 years with only one loss -It was $20,000 worth however. The parcel was tracked into the Sydney Distribution Centre and never came out.Plenty of cameras there but nothing showed on camera and he never got his parcel back .
Old 10-09-2019, 05:28 AM   #12
32Bee

A little over a year ago I bought a 35 jack from a fellow in NY and paid for
additional insurance over and above the minimum. Item was sent to me via
USPS Priority mail. When the package arrived i knew instantly after picking it
up that the box was empty. Took it to my local PO and opened in front of the
post mistress. Nothing inside except a couple of newspapers. Put in claim and
PO denied it so I was out $110. Since then have been paranoid about sending
rare parts anywhere and if I do I refuse to pay for additional insurance.
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:41 AM   #13
tubman

Peter - I had the same experience. I sent a set of '51 Merc water pumps to a guy in Germany who really needed them. One arrived with a cracked pulley. I tried everything I could (pictures, etc.), but they would NOT honor my claim. After my experience, I believe that it is their policy to unilaterally deny all insurance claims. For this reason, I no longer purchase extra insurance on my shipments.

Other than that, they are still my preferred method of shipping. I have had worse problems with the other commercial carriers.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:22 AM   #14
Hoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you ship those rail cars?
Don't know, 40 Deluxe. Must have taken a lot of bubblewrap though, huh?
Old 10-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #15
Bored&Stroked

I have a cam story. I had Pete1 grind a cam for me and he shipped it to my PakMail address (the PakMail place was really good - too bad they're out of business). Well - it never arrived, but UPS said they delivered it. Two months later (after no luck finding it and going through the official channels) - went to the two stores next to it (strip mall). Found my cam at the Quiznos next to it - opened up.

Now one asks oneself two questions:

1) Why the Hell did it get delivered to Quiznos?
2) When somebody at Quiznos opened it up - did it really look like sandwich fixins?

Truthfully, I ship most of my stuff via USPS with tracking and insurance . . . have had extremely good luck in the last couple of years.

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #16
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I had a similar problem with Fedex. I sold a pair of "Double Nickel" (part number ending in "55") heads from a '55 Chrysler to a guy in Wisconsin. They never showed up, no record of anything but them leaving my premises. I went through all of the available channels, and finally received one greasy SBC "Smog" head in a marginal package. They called it good after that and would not respond to my calls or emails. I am convinced that these companies have some employees that are conversant with good parts, and will pilfer them when the occasion arises and are able to conceal their misdeeds through "official" company channels.

Lately, I have absolutely no faith in the American public.
Your theory may have some validity. It may hold true for UPS as well.
Had a known seller ship a very expensive bicycle to me from Manhattan NY.
About the time it should have arrived in CA, there was nothing. Tracking indicated they didn't know where the item was. (As if a carton 70"x10"x30"
is easy to misplace in the residential package delivery segment)
About a day later I was physically down at the UPS hub asking questions.
The customer counter representative from my whse manager job 15 years before was still there. We had a chat. Around 5 days later the bike arrived.
The box had been opened but it was obviously the original shipping box as
it looked like it had been through world war III. The shipping label in comparison was pristine and looked like it had just been printed and affixed the day before. The tracking number WAS NOT the same as was provided by the seller. No response as to where the item was. I was happy to just get it.
My conjecture is that it was recognized by someone at UPS and they tried to
make it disappear into their possession. So much heat was generated looking
for it though by my friend at UPS, and mysteriously this "lost" package re-appeared.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #17
5851a

Some of the stories here I can believe now what happened to the camera I paid for from Amazon. UPS showed steady tracking from 1 depot to another until last step that would transfer it to my PO. Had numbers for PO and they showed it was insured for 2 times what I paid but they couldn't track since they didn't scan. UPS didn't show it scanned to destination. Amazon sent replacement next day Fed X, Fed X delivered in the morning and same afternoon PO delivered original order in box with UPS labels. Then I had to make labels and send back extra. Amazon had my back on this one. Glad it wasn't something I shipped.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
Bill Wright

Not just regular carriers!
I ordered a couple dozen cut resistant gloves from the east. Tracked them all the way to delivery. UPS said delivered to my door. Put in a claim,waited a couple days and called the selling company. They overnited a replacement order that I received. Two days later my idiot next door Nieghbor says”Bill,I saw a package on your porch and brought inside,let me get it!”!!!
He’d never done that before or since!
I called the company and told them to charge me for the second shipment!
I’ve got a lifetime supply of cut resistant gloves!
Bill Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #19
3739ford

I collect WWII items and bought on favorite auction site a excellent condition item and it was shipped USPS with tracking. I tracked the item and was home the day it was out for delivery. That day the regular PO employee was out and temp was filling in. I heard the PO jeep come by and several minutes later got email saying my item was delivered. Went to mailbox about 10 minutes after that and no item. One of two things he delivered it to wrong address in my subdivision, or someone came by and removed from my mailbox. I posted on the Subdivision site I was missing a package with no reply from any of my neighbors. No luck with PO in finding it either they said he scanned the bar code before putting in my mailbox....it is your problem.
3739ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #20
Merc Cruzer

I ordered a Lithium Ion Jump Starter And Power Pack, off of Amazon. I was able to track the item as it was being shipped. The tracking showed that it was out for delivery yesterday, so I watched to see when the mail was delivered. The post person delivered the mail but not the order from Amazon. Since we are on a dead end road, the mail person has to go to the end and then turn around to deliver the other side of the road. I sat in my car in the driveway waiting for the mail person to return. When he came back I took the tracking printout to him and he then mentioned, "Oh, by the way I have a package for you".

Lately we have had a upswing on "miss delivered packages and non-delivered packages", so this may be the new norm, if I am expecting a package. I always print out the tracking numbers and follow the progress.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote