Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
37 Cab

Default Banjo question

I am planning to put a set of 3.54 gears in my 37. I have done a ton of late model rear ends but never a banjo so this will be a learning experience for me. My question is about pinion depth. I have read a bunch of posts and the only clearance adjustment I can find is for the backlash. I understand the preload and backlash adjustments but the pinion adjustments are a mystery. I assume there are specs and adjustments for pinion preload and depth but have not found any info on it.. So.. how do you adjust and check pinion depth? Preload I am pretty sure I will figure out once the parts are in hand. Any help here appreciated.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Banjo question

Banjo rear ends are all similar. There's a fellow on the A forum (Tom Endy) who does a lot of them. It's written up on the santaannitta A's web site or send him a PM.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Don't worry about the pinion depth. Just make sure the housing is clean so the double cup pinion bearing race fully seats. Before you install the pinion , install new carrier bearings and races and install the carrier with ring gear , bolt up the housings with two .010 gaskets and check preload on the carrier by sticking a screwdriver in the pinion hole and turning the ring gear. Should have a stiff drag on it. If it's tight , add a gasket or replace one with a thicker one. Once you establish the correct preload keep up with the total amount of gasket thickness you have. Divide that thickness and place half on one side and half on the other on final assembly. Once you have it all back apart now install the pinion. Make sure the outer pinion bearing will slip on by hand, if it's a tight fit it will cause eroneous readings while your trying to set the preload. I clamp the pinion in a vise with the banjo pointing straight up. With both hands spin the banjo housing hard, I tighten the pinion untill it will make one turn. Now bolt up the axle housings again with the carrier and the an equal amount of gaskets on each side . Now grab the pinion and rock it and feel for back lash or you can put a dial indicator on it . I usually do it by feel. Use only top quality bearings . If you don't, you'll be sorry .
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
skidmarks

Still need to check it for a pattern between the pinion and ring gear with grease paint so the gears aren't buried or running on the edge
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Still need to check it for a pattern between the pinion and ring gear with grease paint so the gears aren't buried or running on the edge
You can but backlash will tell you that.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It is a whole different process compared to a late model. Ken's post is close to the way I do it.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
skidmarks

I start off with one bell no gasket and measure the other side then divide it in half as starting point. Check the pattern with grease. Everyone has a different process for screwing things up.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
37 Cab

Thanks guys.. No pinion depth adjustment will make pretty straight forward then.. Set carrier preload.. Set pinion preload.. Set backlash.. done. Right? I know about cleanliness when seating races. (In general for that matter) Need a source for good quality bearings.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:21 PM   #9
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
I start off with one bell no gasket and measure the other side then divide it in half as starting point. Check the pattern with grease. Everyone has a different process for screwing things up.
Shure Do!!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #10
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Cab View Post
Thanks guys.. No pinion depth adjustment will make pretty straight forward then.. Set carrier preload.. Set pinion preload.. Set backlash.. done. Right? I know about cleanliness when seating races. (In general for that matter) Need a source for good quality bearings.
Google VanPelt Sales He is on here from time to time and has quality parts.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #11
john in illinois

Also "Best" gaskets are much easier to work with than the paper gaskets from some vendors.
These are sold by Van Pelts and others.

As mentioned Tom Endy has a good tutorial.

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...vised-2014.pdf

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-4035K-rearendgasketset.jpg (36.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by john in illinois; 09-23-2018 at 07:27 AM.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #12
37 Cab

Sounds good guys. Thank you very much. Will contact Van Pelt this week.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Finding good quality bearings can be a problem in today's world. I posted the question where to find good bearings for my last banjo rear rebuild, and Barnfind08 responded saying he still had a supply of NOS for the bearings I needed.
To ensure a good seal in areas requiring gaskets, it's a good idea to prep the mating surfaces requiring gaskets by removing nicks, burrs, and other surface irregularities before putting gaskets in place and torquing fasteners. One of the last steps I do, after setting backlash with gasket shims, is apply a light coat of White Lithium grease on pinion and ring gear teeth to check position of gear mesh.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #14
tubman

"Barnfind08" is a great resource for guys like us who need parts. He is the first place I go to if I need parts, and he has seldom let me down.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote