Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
IndyA

Default Headlight Bulb Filament Orientation

Someone in the recent past answer my question, but I can't find it now..... I've ordered LED Lights for my generator-powered '29 coup from Logo Lites. My headlight circuits were "converted" to wire-nuts years ago and I've never known with the filament bulbs whether my headlights were on "dim" or "bright"... with the LED's that will be important.

So, could some one tell me, as the filament bulb is captured in its socket, is the lower filament the bright and the upper filament the dim ... or do I have it back-aswards ????

Many Thanks Friends
IndyA
IndyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Headlight Bulb Filament Orientation

Lower filament would be HIGH beams and upper filament would be LOW beams.

Ford's original thought was NEVER both filaments together.

Think of it as the light shining in a mirror (which is what the reflector is - of sorts.

The original Ford setup was fool proof: reflectors keyed into the shells, the bulbs were orientation keyed into their sockets, the sockets keyed into the non-moveable socket ferrules of the reflectors, the socket wires were connected correctly and immovably to their source sockets. The source sockets were keyed into the shell ferrules, and the wire dividers/separators were keyed into the shell ferrules from the other direction. And the conduit lock ferrules/conduit end kept it all together.

Time, manufacturing inconsistencies, quality control, and unanticipated design requirements all serve to make Ford's system prone to error of connection with modern reproduction parts. So one has to go at it with a keen eye, understanding, and a sketchbook and a wiring diagram in hand.

https://lesmodela.files.wordpress.co...ng-diagram.pdf

Being you have bypassed a good portion of the "how was this supposed to work" translation with wire nuts and possibly aftermarket screw in sockets - your sketch and field observation talents only will be tested - but not severely.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 05-21-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Keith True

The LED's don't have filaments.The only thing they have in common with an incandesent is they both make light.None of the normal procedures apply to making them work correctly.When you hook the wires up to your new lights and try them you will be able to see bright and dim.Your new light bulbs will look like they belong on a space ship,they sure don't look like light bulbs.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

I have the Logo Lites. Bow rows of LEDs are on for both low, and high beam. Low beam is just lower intensity of the both beams than when on high beam. Do not expect to get the same focus/pattern as the incandescents.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyA View Post
So, could some one tell me, as the filament bulb is captured in its socket, is the lower filament the bright and the upper filament the dim ... or do I have it back-aswards ????

Many Thanks Friends
IndyA
In an incandescent bulb the elevation of the upper filament from the bulb axis causes the beam to project lower than the centered high beam filament.

I'm disappointed to learn from 30CCPU that the Logo lights provide only bright/dim rather than the required high/low "dip" of the incandescents. Might as well buy the $7 variety.

You should be able to simply rotate them 180 degrees to make them agree with your column switch.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Additionally when the Logo Lites are plugged in, the rows of LEDs are not level with the ground. The rows are tipped slightly with the rows being slightly higher on one end than the other side. So the alignment with the shell focusing/pattern lens is not correct. At least that is what I found on my A.

I did not see any way of rotating the bulb to correct for this. The bulb is fixed in the socket, the socket is fixed in the reflector receiver for the socket, and the receiver is part of the shell which is not adjustable. I still use them.

The lows may not throw the correct pattern, but I do not get oncoming cars flashing their lights at me. The amount of illumination provided the Logo Lites on both low and high beam to me is astounding, no fear of braking overrunning the lights. Additionally you can see the eyes of Deer, cats, skunks, possums, etc. way before you can see their bodies.

If you still have issues on the incandescents not being correct with the position on the steering wheel center ring:

If both positions act the same, Ex: turn on both low filaments, and the other position switches both high beam filaments, you can live with it.

Or to correct, you have a wiring issue. If you have the dual filament bulbs, swap the wiring going to the bulb socket pins.. Since the lamp socket is pin/keyed there is not a way to rotate the socket 180 degrees.

If you have one lamp correct and one lamp incorrect, then swap the wiring of the offending lamp .

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 05-22-2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: acidently hit send, added info
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
IndyA

30 Clsed Cab And Others... Many thanks for the helpful responses.... As to 30 Closed Cab's response... I can rotate the sockets in my fixtures...so I arranged the LED's parallel to the ground. I've just completed the installation and even in day light am wowed over how much light is generated.

Thank you all
IndyA is offline   Reply With Quote