Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
norway

Default ford model a won't go into 2nd gear

i got my gearbox, and engine back from overhaul this summer, engine had worn main bearing, and transmission had very worn bearing. today it was my first test run. it leaked oil, (but perhaps it finds its Level). and gearbox won't go into 2nd gir. sometimes i can og into 2nd gear, but that is rare.
engine is fresh overhauled With New babbit bearing, and much more, every worn part is swapped to one New. same With gearbox.
but gearbox shift Tower look like before, no New parts there. except that, everything is New in gearbox. everything is done by the same overhauler.

I only mounted the gearbox on the engine before I put it in the car.
before, 2nd gear worked ok.
thanks for help.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: ford model a won't go into 2nd gear

Have you looked at the collars, forks and shift lever for anything being bent, worn ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
RonC

If it s not going into 2nd and it's not grinding (seems locked) the problem is the shifter top is not disengaging first gear completely. If you shift from first to revearse and then to 2nd does it work?
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
norway

first gear, and Third gear is working very nicely, and clutch Works good.
i have one spare gearbox, and it is shifting very smooth, i will try that shift Tower. but first, i will compare both shift Tower. to see if my shift Tower is worn.

i have 2 ford model a. one I have never had any big problems With, (ford model a fordor 1930). and the other one, (ford pickup 1929), I have had MANY problems With it.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
RonC

Ensure that the shifter forks are set into the collars on the gears when assembling.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #6
Patrick L.

The shift lever has a tendency to wear 'square' when it should have a nice round ball [ if I remember correctly it should be 1/2" round]
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

When the shifter ball and the slot in the fork is worn it is possible to have the lever go into the 2-3 side before the 1-rev side is out of first position ---in the beginning this will happen when pushing the lever from first toward second ----by moving the lever from first to neutral--then across the "H",then into second you might be able to work around the wear
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

"Maybe" the new gears, etc, just need a little limbering up? Minerva had "CRISP" detents & I had to "slap" her into second, with the open palm of my hand, just pushing it in didn't "CUT IT"
Bill W.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
rscardina

I'm having the same issue. It's like something is blocking second gear. I can shift over to the 2nd 3rd side but not up into 2nd gear. This doesn't happen all of the time. However, it is becoming more frequent. I pulled the tower and have noticed the ball on the shift lever is worn flat. I am getting a tower on loan to try this week.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Brentwood Bob

See #7. IMO The tower needs to be reconditioned as mentioned above. I have welded the ball on the shift lever with my mig, and filed the ball round. Piece of cake.
The spring for the detent on the side of the top needs to be functioning and the forks need to be minimally worn. If the transmission has been gone thru a through rebuild should include the tower. The car is telling you to fix the rest of the transmission.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #11
RonC

The transmission needs to be fully disengaged from first gear before you can engage second. A worn out shifter may not allow full first gear disengagement
Old 08-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #12
31Abone

I had that problem ..turns out it was a prior owner/idiot who bent gear lever to clear after market gauge panel below dash,shift into low OK into high OK but 2nd gear about half the time it would go..removed the 6 bolts pulled tower off threw it in the ditch put on one I had laying around ..shifted like an automatic and problem solved .. PS just got back from Chatsworth swap meet did OK there and met some folks two hundred mile trip for me.
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
norway

i have removed one shift Tower from my spare gearbox today, i will compare both shift Tower, and see who is most worn. but this is how my spare shift Tower look like, tha ball is very worn, it is very square, but is the forks very worn? or is it ok. Thanks for all your help. Oil leak stopped today, So now the engine has find its oil Level.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #14
Brentwood Bob

forks look ok from here. repair the ball. would not hurt to check the detents for wear while you have the tower off.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #15
RonC

I believe the wear in the forks that is of concern is were the shifter ball rides.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sometimes, even if the ball & the knotches in the forks are worn, IF you shift in a PRONOUNCED "H" pattern, they may work OK for YEARS. You have to learn to 'OUT FOX" the Model A's IDIOSYNCHROCIES.
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 08-25-2015 at 01:25 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

I'd put a small powerful magnet in the drain and fill plugs. Those shifting forks show evidence of metal grit, or being run dry.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
Tom Endy

Wear in the forks themselves is usually not a problem as there is a lot of clearance where the forks go into the slots in the two slider gears. The area of concern is in the slots in the forks where the round ball on the end of the shift lever engages. Welding up the ball and the fork slots and filing to fit in most cases will restore a shift tower.

If the forks become bent by someone man handling the shift lever there is usually not a problem until you remove the tower. The forks will then jump out of alignment and you will not be able to reinstall the tower because the forks will not line up with the slots in the slider gears.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #19
norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Wear in the forks themselves is usually not a problem as there is a lot of clearance where the forks go into the slots in the two slider gears. The area of concern is in the slots in the forks where the round ball on the end of the shift lever engages. Welding up the ball and the fork slots and filing to fit in most cases will restore a shift tower.

If the forks become bent by someone man handling the shift lever there is usually not a problem until you remove the tower. The forks will then jump out of alignment and you will not be able to reinstall the tower because the forks will not line up with the slots in the slider gears.

Tom Endy
i changed my shift Tower today, to one that was on my rusty spare gearbox, now it shift into all gears, it Works good! but it is worn in the Place you describe, (ball and Space araund the ball). i will overhaul the one shift Tower that did not work, but do you have to use special Tools to overhaul one shift Tower?

thanks for all your help
Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #20
1931 flamingo

I believe the biggest problem is the spring that must be removed. Both Vince and Mitch have posted pictures and procedures on how to make a tool and use it also.
Try doing a search or someone may post a link.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote