Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
peewee2you

Default Floorboard

Is anyone familiar with the 47 Ford Floorboard seal, I bought the aftermarket kit, includes rubber and webbing. I just can't remember when I took it apart, which way it was ie; it seems like rubber goes down first, then webbing on top of rubber, then the floorboard?

If you can help, pleas do.

Thanks
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
frederic

Default Re: Floorboard

where did you get the kit ?? Iam working on that very piece now and looks like rubber first then webbing, webbing against floor board, BUT I BELIEVE the rubber is glued to chassie on the three sides and then floor board on upper long side. but iam not sure about all this
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
peewee2you

frederic, bought the kit at www.vintageford.com, know as Sacramento Vintage Ford in Sacramento, CA, I bought 2 of them because it came with only three sides? rubber for two sides, and long piece for the bottom, and I believe as well like you do, rubber to chassis floor fits right inside the groove, then webbing, then floorboard, rememeber to put your foot pedal seals on before you put the floorboard down, and also put on the 4 Rubbrer spacers that go attached to the underside of floorboard and rest on the frame underneath. I also replaced the foam rubber seal that goes under the firewall insulation down around the the steering column. I will probably use some sort of black adhesive for the rubber strips by 3m, and then shoot the webbing with some 3m spray upholstery adhesive and stick on top of rubber then lay my floor down. I also bought some new screws from Roy Nacewicz enterprises and tap all the holes on the chasis to clean them up and make sure the screws go in nice and easy once floors is in place, so I am not fighting everything.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
frederic

I think your right. I looked at my wagon and it still has the old seal on the chassie (rubber first than webbing.) Problem for me is forgot what goes on top portion. I thought it might go on the floor board because one must remove the extra pieces when removing the trans for what ever reason. Was worried about what cement to use on the webbing to keep it down but you seem to think 3 M product would work. I will try it. Why does the kit come ONLY with three sides and not the 4 sides. that is what led me to think the top of the floor board would take a seal but now that i am typing this I remember taking off seal and webbing when I removed the floor board replace the master cylinder. I bought mine from Mac's and also replaced the foam around the steering wheel tube. I had to split it in the middle and cut off a chunk at the bottom. Looks like there should be some type of shroud around the two tubes as there are mounting holes there. But I have never seen anthing that goes there in all the years I have taken these apart. I also picked up new 1/4-20 black screws from mac's and tapped the chassie. I guess I will have to get another kit to finish the job completely

Thanks again and good luck with your project.

Frederic
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
peewee2you

Frederic, You know I could have sworn I removed something from the top as well, that is why I bought two kits, I thought wow, how clever of them not to give all four sides. I saw the attached picture at www.bobdrakes.com of his kit it was during a sale, but they are on back order and had been for sometime, very good price they had every seal in the kit you would need all four sides. Hope the photo helps you and it helped me now that I remembered where I saw it. I have all the new seals I haven't put the seals on yet just the one the foam one around column at bottom like you side, I had to make a slice in it to get around the tubes, I didn't need to cut out anything though, I unscrewed this little bar that had 4 screws which allowed me to put the gasket in place. Thanks for alerting me that you replied, keep in touch, I was working on the floor but winter is here and the car is outside and I have done a lot of detailing, so trying to get the front end back on my VW so that I can move it over and push my 47 back in before to much damp weather gets underneath, I do use a cover but has been out for a year already, not another winter if I can help it, should have it back in garage in a week or so, will put heater on and try and stay warm to work on it. I will attach a photo of some of my work

Before

Early on after

Now

more of now all work is rattle can spray, but came out clean at least.

Floor before

Floor after, already more or less for that seal, it's just when I put it on, don't want to have to take it off again for awhile....

like I said keep in touch and thanks, Pete in California
Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
frederic

Pete nice project. I will try to keep in touch. am looking for two rear shock mounts for top. the ones that go through the frame cross member where spring fits.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
Nervr2old

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm in the middle of resealing the floorboard in my wife's '46 Ford 2-door.
I bought Drake's seal kit but I can't figure out how it's supposed to be installed.
It's obvious how it fits into the flat floor because there is a groove for it to sit in, but the firewall has no such groove. What am I missing?
Nervr2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #8
peewee2you

Nervr2old, I sent you more info via private msg and forwarded some old threads of mine relating to the installation of the floor.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
Nervr2old

It's obvious how it fits into the flat floor because there is a groove for it to sit in, but the firewall has no such groove. What am I missing?
Nervr2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
peewee2you

Nervr2old, your missing the fact that the 2 side pieces and top piece by the firewall don't sit in any type of groove, because as we know doesn't exist, the pieces just sit on top of the flat metal..using an adhisive or sealant as I have talked about, when the two side pieces come down the sides they will tie in at the same level more or less next to the bottom piece that sits in the groove, when you put the cover on and put the screws in place it will drive everything closely to where the cover needs to be in relation to the floor. Remember that none of this is exactly perfect. Peter