Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
asapguy

Default Filling Model B steam holes

Approx. 4 yrs ago I had to replace the head gasket on my Model B motor in my Cabriolet with the modern style gasket, it blew between #1 & 2. It's been fine until last week I noticed water in the oil, but it still ran fine. When I got the head off I noticed the steel ring around the combustion chamber on # 2 cyl. was eaten away with rust allowing water to enter the cyl. The water was coming from one of the two steam hole that is only in B motors at that point. After replacing the previous gasket I did torque 3 times. When doing a search on the Ford Barn I see it is recommended to plug those holes in the block & head. My question is can J-B Weld be used successfully. They are 1/4 inch holes & could be threaded to 5/16 but this would require drilling out the holes. I'm afraid trying to tap the hole with a 5/16 tap might crack the block. Has anyone used just J-B Weld?? Thanks in advance. Perry

Last edited by asapguy; 08-15-2018 at 08:30 PM.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Filling Model B steam holes

Perhaps a metric tap would fit the existing hole.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
briphaeton

7 mm
briphaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
Tanglfoot

I used 8mm grub screws works fine no need to drill. The trick is not to tap in too far with a taper tap then the plug will lock in the hole, file flush.
Tanglfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:02 AM   #5
asapguy

Thanks I'll make a trip to town tomorrow, we have a hardware store that has a good selection of metric sizes. Hopefully they'll have a tap & some Allen screws that size. I have dozens of used blocks, some with cracks to experiment on.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by asapguy View Post
Approx. 4 yrs ago I had to replace the head gasket on my Model B motor in my Cabriolet with the modern style gasket, it blew between #1 & 2. It's been fine until last week I noticed water in the oil, but it still ran fine. When I got the head off I noticed the steel ring around the combustion chamber on # 2 cyl. was eaten away with rust allowing water to enter the cyl. The water was coming from one of the two steam hole that is only in B motors at that point. After replacing the previous gasket I did torque 3 times. When doing a search on the Ford Barn I see it is recommended to plug those holes in the block & head. My question is can J-B Weld be used successfully. They are 1/4 inch holes & could be threaded to 5/16 but this would require drilling out the holes. I'm afraid trying to tap the hole with a 5/16 tap might crack the block. Has anyone used just J-B Weld?? Thanks in advance. Perry
Are you also running a B head?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
asapguy

Yes it's a complete B engine. What may have facilitated the gasket going bad was that the car sat for over 6 months after I was in very bad car accident in my Jeep & unable to drive. The water seeping from that hole probably ate at the steel ring around the combustion chamber. Normally I drive this Model A regularly all year long for club events & mtgs.

Last edited by asapguy; 08-16-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
Jim Brierley

The plug must be flush with the top deck. Plugging and filing is probably the best thing to do but it is hard to file without scarring the deck. Put plug in a little deep and fill with JB Weld work just as well. JB Weld by itself is risky because it needs support.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
asapguy

Thanks Jim. I went back & read several previous threads concerning this issue. One other person had the same issue after his car sat for two yrs. I have several new modern gaskets on hand & three new copper ones. I may go back to copper I have one that has part # 6051 & doesn't have the steam holes in it. This should be OK with holes filled. Checked my Ford parts book for correct #'s. A 6051-A = head gasket pass. & comm. 28-31, B 6051-A = head gasket pass. & comm. 32-34. Ironically it then says A 6051-A is replaced by B-6051-A. This would indicates Ford OKed the use of a B gasket on a Model A. Which s/b OK.

Last edited by asapguy; 08-16-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by asapguy View Post
Yes it's a complete B engine. What may have facilitated the gasket going bad was that the car sat for over 6 months after I was in very bad car accident in my Jeep & unable to drive. The water seeping from that hole probably ate at the steel ring around the combustion chamber. Normally I drive this Model A regularly all year long for club events & mtgs.
If you have a complete B engine including the head you shouldn't have a problem. Are you trying to run a Model A gasket which would be a problem?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
asapguy

No I was running a modern style B gasket with the steam holes, B block & B head. I think what happened is exactly like Bob Bionde mentioned happened to him after his car sat for two yrs with modern gasket. The silicon deteriorated around one of the holes that allowed water to seep against steel rim which then rusted. My car sat & wasn't driven for 6-7 months. I could just install a new modern gasket which I have but if the car sits for a long period again I run the risk of the same problem.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
john in illinois

The silcone gaskets have a very poor track record. I have had good luck with Best brand graphtite gaskets. The Best copper gaskets are also said to be good.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F2A09982-FE5F-4752-A5E6-CF8B08F9817C.jpg (19.4 KB, 30 views)
john in illinois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #13
asapguy

Taped & plugged the holes in the head & the block with 8MM Allen screws. No drilling needed just taped the holes. Screwed them in just below the surface a covered holes with JB Weld. After the JB Weld cures I'll sand flat & install a copper gasket w/o steam holes. Something I forgot to mention that is important if you don't already know this take note!! I installed new hardened studs when I replaced the gasket a few yrs, ago. The long stud for the dist. cable clamp is longer and this is what I didn't know. You must install the clamp before you install the nut. What I did was to install the nut, torque it several times after running it for awhile. Then I installed the clamp & installed a half nut to hold clamp. When I removed the head nuts that stud came out with the nut which had bottomed out on the threads. The threads are to short to allow proper torque to the head. The reason I did this is on another car I have I removed the clamp to work on the dist. & with the nut off just that one head bolt water leaked into the oil. You could also cut a few more thread in that long stud to correct this problem. I have heard others had this same problem so something to think about.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #14
daren007

Do not use countersunk screws. Don't ask me why I know this. Use a Best graphite gasket with copercoat spray and you are golden.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote