Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2018, 05:19 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Need explanation of Ford's "directions" in assembling...

So here is the situation...

In the beginning, the Open Cab with Pickup body were combined as one unit on the "A" chassis and not the "AA" chassis.

Ford decided in early 1928 to utilize the Open Cab on the "AA" chassis but it meant that the Open Cab had to be "redesigned" to do so which involved the "AA" chassis also.

As for the Open Cab, new holes for the attachment to the "AA" chassis, and a few other things, were done to the body to make it a "stand-alone" body in its self not including the Pickup body.

So in the design process, a notation was made on the drawing of the "AA" chassis which was "1/2 DRILL IN PLACE 2 HOLES FOR OPEN CAB". That was it.

So we know that 2 1/2" holes were to be drilled in the "AA" chassis for the attachment of the new and redesigned Open Cab body.

Now comes the "IN PLACE" statement.

Just what was Ford saying here...Were the holes for the attachment of the Open Cab to be drilled in the "AA" chassis as the chassis alone was being assembled BEFORE it was placed on the assembly line OR were the holes to be drilled in the "AA" chassis when the Open Cab body was dropped onto the completed, and assembled "AA" chassis at time of body drop?

I would think the latter statement...anyone?

Thanks.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 08-07-2018 at 05:28 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
Corley

Default Re: Need explanation of Ford's "directions" in assembling...

I'm going to make an educated guess (aka SWAG) here, and thinking along the lines that you might not want any extra holes in an AA chassis for most trucks, the "in place" statement could mean "as/if required", due to this one being open cab. "In place" generally means something is done when needed, not before hand I would think. (But I've been called an idiot so many times that I believe there could be merit in that statement.)

OR, there is this woman on TV who claims to be able to talk to the dead, maybe she could help. In any case, thank you for all the research you do on these esoteric A things.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
160B

Default Re: Need explanation of Ford's "directions" in assembling...

Steve,

FWIW

My interpretation is that "1/2 DRILL IN PLACE 2 HOLES FOR OPEN CAB" is that "in place" means when the cab is in place on the frame. This indicates that the holes were not predrilled in the frame fabrication.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote