Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #21
Ted Duke

Default Re: Damned if you do and..............

Some people just don't get it. Just read the newspapers. People killed everyday when they get ejected. Do they think they will land on their feet and run? Nope, on their head and die.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #22
huddy

Seeing that photo totally convinced me - a picture being worth many more than 1,000 words in this case. I ordered three seat belt sets from Snyder's. When Enrico emerges from his cocoon the spring, the first thing that I do is install them. My nieces & nephews, not to mention my wife, deserve it.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #23
springerpete

If you are mulling over the seat belt issue, and have been doing so for a while, there must be something nagging at you every time you get in your car. Put them in and see if you don't feel better about it. Check with friends who have belts and learn from them how they put them in. If your not convinced, take them out. ( bet you won't )
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #24
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
If you are mulling over the seat belt issue, and have been doing so for a while, there must be something nagging at you every time you get in your car.

"My understanding, there is no secure place on the Model A's body to secure seatbelts. For them to be really secure, they must be attached to the frame which seems to be dangerous in a wreck since the body separates from the frame quite easy causing more serious harm being cut into, one half goes with the body while the other half stays with the frame."

The above statement I made in the very first post is not my conclusion nor my opinion but it is what I have read by other concerned A drivers. Considering the safety standards today and the size of vehicles today and the speeds they travel, am I to install airbags too!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing nagging at me when I get in, it's my life, as I said earlier, it's the safety of any passenger that I'd be concerned about. Maybe I should have titled this thread "To have passengers or not to have passengers"

What about the rumble seat......there's a whole other subject. It was more safe back then than it is now. I've already decided, for safety reason, the rumble will never be used for passengers.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #25
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
In the 60's I added seat belts to my Corvair Spyder. The aftermarket belt kits came with a grade 8 bolt and a 3" fender washer to go under the floor pan. The car was totalled when some guy hit me in the rear and sent it into a telephone pole. The seat belt held fine and I had sore ribs from the belt pulling on my body.
Back in the day, this is how we installed them in Stock cars and they held fine. They were tested often.....

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #26
pgerhardt

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I was using, and got used to, seat belts years before driving (I started taking flying lessons when 14.) and now feel naked without them. BTW the first plane I flew was a Piper Colt with a fabric covered fuselage and there was never any question about not having a heavy frame to mount to.

Other than the safety aspects, seat belts also serve the purpose of keeping you anchored to the seat countering the lateral "Gs" encounter in turns, and the negative "Gs" of bumps.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #27
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post

Using the excuse that some how the car will pull you apart because it ain't unibody construction is just that,-*(if you only secured the belt to the seat being occupied, you're still ahead of the game)*-using an excuse. Do what you like, i ask you, please, don't sell it to others.
For Christ's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've just about had it with this forum.

Read people, the whole damn thread first before assuming what a poster meant. Don't read between the lines.

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #28
Paul from Maine

I have never owned a vehicle where the seatbelts were attached to the frame. In most vehicles the lap belts were bolted to the sheet metal floor and the shoulder harness to a spindly door post. And what about uni-body vehicles? I mounted my lap belts to the great timber which crosses the width of the Town Sedan body just behind the front seat. If the body separates from the frame in a collision, at least I will be strapped securely within the body. If the collision is severe enough to fracture the wooden timber to which I attached my seatbelts, then I probably will also be speared by the steering post or mangled by wreckage or decapitated by the splintering wooden roof supports. I also heard that statistically most accidents happen within ten miles of home. So I moved to a place twelve miles away. No worries now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
"My understanding, there is no secure place on the Model A's body to secure seatbelts. For them to be really secure, they must be attached to the frame which seems to be dangerous in a wreck since the body separates from the frame quite easy causing more serious harm being cut into, one half goes with the body while the other half stays with the frame."

The above statement I made in the very first post is not my conclusion nor my opinion but it is what I have read by other concerned A drivers. Considering the safety standards today and the size of vehicles today and the speeds they travel, am I to install airbags too!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing nagging at me when I get in, it's my life, as I said earlier, it's the safety of any passenger that I'd be concerned about. Maybe I should have titled this thread "To have passengers or not to have passengers"

What about the rumble seat......there's a whole other subject. It was more safe back then than it is now. I've already decided, for safety reason, the rumble will never be used for passengers.
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #29
bambooboy

31 model A,take a break for a few days,walk away &enjoy your car. 223 posts in 1 months is a lot of typing. tom
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #30
TEX29

What was the question again? I'm so confused...
TEX29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #31
zzlegend

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,how was everybody's turkey.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #32
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooboy View Post
31 model A,take a break for a few days,walk away &enjoy your car. 223 posts in 1 months is a lot of typing. tom
its 224 now
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #33
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,how was everybody's turkey.
i had jerk turkey YA MON
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.7 KB, 15 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #34
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
i had jerk turkey YA MON
I assume it was ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,smoked?
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #35
Fred K-OR

Wow smoking post!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #36
DJ S

This conversation went down hill real quick.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #37
DougVieyra

If it has not been addressed before, In the interest of keeping originality and in keeping with the MAFCA / MARC Judging Standards for 'Fine Point', Blue Ribbon judging - what do the Judging Standards say about adding seat belts to your Model A ? Any point loss ? If so how much ?

Answer:
Model A RESTORATION GUIDELINES & JUDGING STANDARDS
Section 16 - Accessories :
"Several 'Safety Items' . . . WILL BE ALLOWED . . . and include Seat Belts."

Last edited by DougVieyra; 12-02-2014 at 10:25 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote