Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
mshmodela

Default Oil Pressure Gauge

Looking at oil pressure gauge and the kits I've seen do not really state the installation process. One might guess the pickup (at the engine) is some where in the valve cover --maybe? Anyone install one?

Many thanks,

-Mike
Cleveland
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Hicktick

Default Re: Oil Pressure Gauge

Unless you have a pressurised system , there is no oil pressure .

A stock engine will only show about 4 pounds .

There is a plug on the side of the block above the oil pan , below the valve cover .

In my opinion its just something that could leak .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicktick View Post
Unless you have a pressurised system , there is no oil pressure .

A stock engine will only show about 4 pounds .

There is a plug on the side of the block above the oil pan , below the valve cover .

In my opinion its just something that could leak .
less than that I heard once it warms up. As for hook up Hicktick was it right, replace it with the pipe threaded plug just below the valve cover.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Paul from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Looking at oil pressure gauge and the kits I've seen do not really state the installation process. One might guess the pickup (at the engine) is some where in the valve cover --maybe? Anyone install one?

Many thanks,

-Mike
Cleveland
Oil pressure gauges are very interesting when installed on a Model A. Cold engines in cold weather can show 15 psi or more until the engine warms up and the pressure drops considerably. Synthetic oil appears to maintain a pound or two higher pressure than conventional oil in a warm engine. Add an oil filter and the pressure maintains an even higher reading.
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
Terry,NJ

Why do you want to scare yourself knowing what the oil pressure isn't? I had this with a Ford 8N, cold it was 40lbs, warm it was 3-4 lbs. Hard to get used to!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
marc hildebrant

I Have one on my Model A and I honestly do not know what it tells me.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
29 Tudor

Actually, very comforting for me AFTER I added the oil filter. Before that, the hot pressure was essentially zero except when revving the engine. After installing the oil filter kit, the gauge reads the pressure INTO the filter so there is about 4 PSI (hot) when going down the road. Nice to look down and get the assurance that the pump is working.

sd
29 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
John

The point for oil pressure pickup is a small, 1/8" Pipe thread, plug located on the distribuitor side of the engine block in the center just above the base pan rail. It is located on a rounded out area on the block cast for the oil pump drive. The plug, frequently covered with road grime, takes a normal but sturdy screwdriver bit to remove it. Some can be a bit difficult to access with a good tool due to the limited space to the frame.

It is the same hole that some use to thread a fitting into to hold the oil pump when reinstalling the base pan.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #9
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 Tudor View Post
Actually, very comforting for me AFTER I added the oil filter. Before that, the hot pressure was essentially zero except when revving the engine. After installing the oil filter kit, the gauge reads the pressure INTO the filter so there is about 4 PSI (hot) when going down the road. Nice to look down and get the assurance that the pump is working.

sd
As 29 Tudor mentions: Peace of mind knowing the pump is moving oil is the incentive to install one.

Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-02-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
jkeesey

I have one in my car. It reads anywhere from 1/2-2 psi when warm. It really just helps to prove you've got oil. Hookup is easy. You can buy the sunpro gauge hookup kit, all you will need other than that is the fitting that screws into the block. The kits do not provide them. I bought the official kit from Macs and it was the basic sunpro kit with their sticker over the brand name. Would have been nice to know since I could walk over to autozone and buy the same one without paying shipping and their markup.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

It is simply not worth the trouble. If you ever want to sell the model A, it will probably hurt you. I have one on my 31 tudor, I wouldn't do it again. This is just my thoughts.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
jkeesey

How would it hurt? Its just a bolt on item, its not like your greatly modifying the car just to fit the gauge.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Hi msh,

I installed a Rex-A-Co oil pressure gauge not long ago which connected to the passenger's side of the engine.

Also have an oil filter mounted on my valve cover.

When engine is cold, needle gets buried all the way to the right & after engine warms up, maybe registers 4-6 lbs.

I am really not looking to receive a Nobel Peace Prize, or a Grammy Award, or some type of Hall of Fame Prize -- but as far as I know, I may be the only Model A owner who witnessed the cast iron shaft enclosure on a Model A oil pump breaking, thus ruining an almost perfect re-built engine years ago.

The lack of oil flow "Warning" that I received was an instant knocking caused by the melting of the front connecting rod bearing Babbitt.

The oil pressure gauge is useful to determine if oil is flowing "only" when one "looks" at the gauge -- maybe if I would have had a gauge back then, I may not have looked at the gauge until after the knocking ...... who knows?

Each to his own .... a watch is not very useful to have either if one never checks the time ...... wearing underwear is also optional ..... nothing but different choices in life ....... in my opinion, just do what makes you happy.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 04-02-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
Russell in Tulsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
I have one in my car. It reads anywhere from 1/2-2 psi when warm. It really just helps to prove you've got oil. Hookup is easy. You can buy the sunpro gauge hookup kit, all you will need other than that is the fitting that screws into the block. The kits do not provide them. I bought the official kit from Macs and it was the basic sunpro kit with their sticker over the brand name. Would have been nice to know since I could walk over to autozone and buy the same one without paying shipping and their markup.
Is the Sunpro you bought a 0 to 100psi gauge?
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
jkeesey

No, the sunpro is the install kit. I have an original 1926 New York gauge co. gauge. Only reads up to 10psi. You can run the Mr. Gasket fuel pressure gauge though. It actually screws directly into the block if you don't want the gauge inside the cabin.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
How would it hurt? Its just a bolt on item, its not like your greatly modifying the car just to fit the gauge.
Its not that a modification would hurt. Its the small amount of oil pressure that the gauge would register on the model A. I wonder how many people that bought an oil pressure gauge called the seller with alarm about the 3 to 5 lbs. pressure that the gauge registers. Prospective buyers may not understand about the gravity and dip oiling system. Many would exp[ect it to idle with 45 lbs. pressure like some newer vehicles. Try explaining something to a person who probably thinks that they know more than you. Especially if you are trying to sell them a car that shows practically no oil pressure. I would rather just remove the gauge than try explaining to deaf ears.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 04-02-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: add a sentence
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #17
Kirby1374

Quote:
No, the sunpro is the install kit. I have an original 1926 New York gauge co. gauge. Only reads up to 10psi. You can run the Mr. Gasket fuel pressure gauge though. It actually screws directly into the block if you don't want the gauge inside the cabin.
That is what I've done. I watch it when starting after it has sat awhile. Just to make sure.
Kirby1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
3thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Its not that a modification would hurt. Its the small amount of oil pressure that the gauge would register on the model A. I wonder how many people that bought an oil pressure gauge called the seller with alarm about the 3 to 5 lbs. pressure that the gauge registers. Prospective buyers may not understand about the gravity and dip oiling system. Many would exp[ect it to idle with 45 lbs. pressure like some newer vehicles. Try explaining something to a person who probably thinks that they know more than you. Especially if you are trying to sell them a car that shows practically no oil pressure. I would rather just remove the gauge than try explaining to deaf ears.
I agree with Purdy. Just seeing the oil pressure gauge telling me that I have less than 4 pounds of pressure might even scare ME.
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #19
Duffy1

If that plug in the block has not been removed since day one you will probably have to drill it out and tap the hole . That was my experience . Had the engine out of the car . Would not want to try this with engine in the car .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Before drilling, I'd try welding a large nut to the plug, then let it cool. This should shrink the plug slightly and make it easy to remove using a wrench.
This would work like the washer and nut welded to the broken head stud trick.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote