Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
hoffernsp

Default 51 Merc belt tensions

Reinstalling cooling system. Using NAPA belts 257516 and 257417. Unable to completely tighten the gen/water pump belt. Seems sloppy with extra play.
What should the belt deflection be when properly tightened?
hoffernsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
WABOOM

Default Re: 51 Merc belt tensions

They are supposed to be pretty loose. 1/2"-3/4" deflection.
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffernsp View Post
Reinstalling cooling system. Using NAPA belts 257516 and 257417. Unable to completely tighten the gen/water pump belt. Seems sloppy with extra play.
What should the belt deflection be when properly tightened?
The generator belt has to be adjusted first, while the fan belt is loose.
Then the fan belt is adjusted.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 07-28-2019 at 10:40 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
36rgtop

Diitto on the generator belt first, otherwise you may be fighting an already tightened fan belt.
36rgtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
hoffernsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
The generator belt has to be adjusted first, while the fan belt is loose.
Then the fan belt is adjusted.
Thanks right now fighting the generator belt. Everything is loose-the fan is at the lowest on the bracket, the gen strap is undone and the gen bracket bolt as well. The question is what is the gen sequence - if I tighten the bracket bolt then it pulls the gen down. If I tighten the strap bolt first it limits moving the gen up to tighten the belt.
The gen/water pump belt is NAPA 257516 52in circum (OEM 8620) and is supposed to fit.
Am I doing something out of sync or is the belt too long?
Any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Many of the modern belts are not the same exact width as the originals. This can cause them to ride deeper into the groove of the sheaves. The translation between metric and imperial inch fractions can make more than a bit of difference. I used to use Gates or Dayco belts but I haven't had to replace one for a long time so I don't know if any of them fit worth a dang anymore.

I take the generator out to adjust the cradle height. When I think I have it where I want it, I put the generator nose down on the front of the cradle, put the belt over the sheave, then pull the back down into the seat. It's easier for me to do it this way. Others may not do it this way so it's just a suggestion. That cradle is a heavy bastard.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Thanks right now fighting the generator belt. Everything is loose-the fan is at the lowest on the bracket, the gen strap is undone and the gen bracket bolt as well. The question is what is the gen sequence - if I tighten the bracket bolt then it pulls the gen down. If I tighten the strap bolt first it limits moving the gen up to tighten the belt.
The gen/water pump belt is NAPA 257516 52in circum (OEM 8620) and is supposed to fit.
Am I doing something out of sync or is the belt too long?
Any thoughts?
The generator strap must be tight and holding the generator in it's cradle before any up/down adjustments using the center mount stud/nut.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
hoffernsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Many of the modern belts are not the same exact width as the originals. This can cause them to ride deeper into the groove of the sheaves. The translation between metric and imperial inch fractions can make more than a bit of difference. I used to use Gates or Dayco belts but I haven't had to replace one for a long time so I don't know if any of them fit worth a dang anymore.

I take the generator out to adjust the cradle height. When I think I have it where I want it, I put the generator nose down on the front of the cradle, put the belt over the sheave, then pull the back down into the seat. It's easier for me to do it this way. Others may not do it this way so it's just a suggestion. That cradle is a heavy bastard.
You are right it seems like anything bending over above my waist is a heavy bastard. Has something to do with age and gravity!! I did take everything off and found out that the gen bracket had never been removed and was stuck. I was trying to adjust the gen tilting the strap yikes. Thanks for the tip on pre adjusting the gen height and going from there Without the fan attached.
Second question, with the gen off and free spinning by hand, should it squeak with hand spinning?
Old 07-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
hoffernsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
The generator strap must be tight and holding the generator in it's cradle before any up/down adjustments using the center mount stud/nut.
thanks for the tip I was messing with the strap tension.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #10
3twinridges

The easiest method I have found is to use your engine hoist and a lift strap. Keeps the task from being a back breaker and mostly eliminates breaking or scuffing parts. As others have said, I would stay on the loose side of things to avoid ruining the generator or water pump bearings.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
rotorwrench

The generator may have some brush noise when rotated and especially when rotated in the wrong direction. The bearings should be quiet if they have some lube left.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:05 PM   #12
hoffernsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

THANKS it worked after a few up and downs but eventually I got it to set right.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #13
hoffernsp

Default Re: 51 Merc belt tensions/deflection

Quote:
THANKS it worked after a few up and downs but eventually I got it to set right.
Ok to keep the thread alive what is the best non tool method to determine the correct belt deflection? I used to use the old finger push/ruler method but wonder if that is still the best way to go? Like the old butcher's thumb on the scale to weigh things he hand a huge thumb pressure than most folks.
But really what is the easiest way?
thanks
Old 08-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 51 Merc belt tensions/deflection

Quote:
Ok to keep the thread alive what is the best non tool method to determine the correct belt deflection? I used to use the old finger push/ruler method but wonder if that is still the best way to go? Like the old butcher's thumb on the scale to weigh things he hand a huge thumb pressure than most folks.
But really what is the easiest way?
thanks
Don't over think it. 1/2" deflection on the longest span of the belt.

This is the procedure from Mercury shop manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a genfan.jpg (66.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #15
tubman

For those who don't speak "Flathead Ford" fluently, "valve chamber cover" is what most of us call the "intake manifold". It threw me the first couple of times I saw it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote