Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #21
Bob NH

Default Re: 1940 Ford Family Owned Coupe

I must have missed something on colors. My dad took delivery to our home when I was 5 years old on a brand new 40 standard, 60 HP MANDARIN Maroon coupe with jump seats in the rear where I ended up till I was old enough to drive it myself. It also had a three dr heater installed which I remember well. Some have said that was not possible but but I could count at that time !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #22
Bob NH

I still have the bill of sale from when my mother got an allowance of $150.00 for it towards a 49 two dr. 6 cylinder used. Huge amount ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #23
TRCobra506

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
TR, that's a great original Ford, and you are very lucky also to have a family history with it. If it were mine, I would restore mechanically, and preserve everything else.

I know you are set on whitewalls, but consider please, the V8 model (Standard), was an economical choice, almost never having whitewalls installed back in the day, and even the Deluxe models seldom sported whitewalls.

Earl Scheib did have a one day paint job available, I believe the cost was $29.95 back in the early 60's. For this price, you got very little prep work: A wash to remove wax, a very light sanding just to remove gloss, masking on the brightwork, and a quick spray of paint. What I'm saying here is that you may be able to salvage the original paint by carefully removing the Earl Schieb paint! It surely will have spots worn through, but originality counts big time here!

A car that has been carefully preserved today garners as much or more interest as a fully restored car. Spend many thousands on a restoration, only to see the preserved car next to you in a car show steal all the attention! The EFV8CA Rouge award (for original cars) is a prestigious thing to have!

I’d be curious because it looks like it has red oxide primer under it. My dad rode along for the paint job which was a long trip from where I live to Pittsburgh at the time. Lower quarters were repaired once in the past so original paint is definitely lost there. It’s going to get run as it is for a bit.

Should still run, the motor was rebuilt in the early 90s and is still free. It will definitely get all new braking components. They had issues even when we brought it home. We did one ride around the field and it was parked. Hasn’t turned a wheel since
TRCobra506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #24
deuce_roadster

The distributor, generator and air cleaner appear to be later then 40. Is the engine the original 221 or was it replaced with a more powerful 239?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #25
TRCobra506

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
The distributor, generator and air cleaner appear to be later then 40. Is the engine the original 221 or was it replaced with a more powerful 239?

It’s definitely been updated, I need to check the other engines I have and see if any are era correct
Old 02-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #26
deuce_roadster

Bob NH,
Perhaps paid extra to get the Mandarin Maroon paint.
Too bad it got traded in on a 6 cyl but it would have WAY more power than the 60!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #27
fortyfords

Congratulations, I would love to have a 40 coupe also.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #28
TRCobra506

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Be VERY careful with the grille, They are almost impossible to find parts for.

Apparently I am a very lucky guy, I just found one for 50 dollars. I can tell you I am a very happy guy!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #29
mhsprecher

Great car. A buddy of mine in high school had a 40 deluxe, all original. I rode around a lot in one of the jump seats in the back.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #30
DavidG

Alan,

Really, you're not old enough to make that claim about the installation rate for WSW tires on '40 Fords. They were an inexpensive extra-cost factory-installed option and there are period photos galore of cars with WSW tires. And not all buyers of standard models did do so solely to save money as some likely preferred the front end styling over that of the deluxe version. Yours is a personal preference and you ought to state it as such and not suggest that somehow only BSW will be "right" for the car.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #31
Ol' Ron

Yes, I had one like that all new black paint 37 DeSota bumpers . ETC. Your biggest problem is just what application will the car be used? You may have to make some improvements if it a daily driver. Putting it back to completely stock could make it dangerous to drive in today's traffic. However the running gear could be used.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #32
Tinker

Wash it, get it running and stopping. Drive it for a year at least before doing major "upgrades" in my opinion. Super nice!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #33
TRCobra506

Cars definitely going to be used in good weather. I work directly beside the site where my grandpa retired from, where the ford made the majority of its trips. So in the summer I plan on using it to go to work, there will be some great nostalgia in that. The cars staying no radio, I just want to enjoy the crudeness. Now dual line master cylinder? I might stray from the path and make it a little safer in that case.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #34
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
I still have the bill of sale from when my mother got an allowance of $150.00 for it towards a 49 two dr. 6 cylinder used. Huge amount ?
I have the original Bill of Sale for my 1951 Club Coupe. The purchaser also traded in a 1940 Coupe (didn't specify "Standard" or Deluxe) and also got $150 trade in on an $1851 purchase price. Maybe Ford had a fixed schedule for trade-ins back then.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #35
Newc

Fantastic story! Just get the car away from those RODENTS. I just had a farm tractor damaged by a PACKRAT, that the local cat must have missed. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:01 AM   #36
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Alan,

Really, you're not old enough to make that claim about the installation rate for WSW tires on '40 Fords. They were an inexpensive extra-cost factory-installed option and there are period photos galore of cars with WSW tires. And not all buyers of standard models did do so solely to save money as some likely preferred the front end styling over that of the deluxe version. Yours is a personal preference and you ought to state it as such and not suggest that somehow only BSW will be "right" for the car.
David, You're right about my preference for blackwalls, even though my '38 has had 4 sets of whitewalls in my ownership. What I stated, though, was my opinion, and everybody has one! I'd love to see documentation one way or the other!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #37
Sal

Great story of a beautiful car. Clean it, check the fluids, get it running. Get books and manuals about it. Take your time deciding on what changes if any you're going to make to it. Plan every thing out carefully, most of all, Good Luck with it!
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #38
mfirth

X 2 on what TJ said on The Early Ford V8 club, good resource & folks just like here.
What a blessing to have a family heirloom like that. mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #39
corvette8n

Welcome to the barn, you have a nice car with a great history. Here is a link to help ID your engines.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ifications.htm
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #40
DavidG

Alan,

I'm away from my old car stuff for the winter so I can't post the tire price list that I have a copy of showing the various tires sizes (there were lots of different ones for big trucks) and WSW for the passenger car and commercial vehicle-size tires. It's only for the '32 models, but Ford's archives have photos for all of the pre-Pearl Harbor model years with WSW. Take your favorite, for example. All of the photos in the DeAngelis/Francis book, The Early Ford V8, As Henry Built It, are from Ford's archives. In the '37-'38 section of the book (sadly, the last section), there are 18 different vehicles shown with WSW, five of which are commercial vehicles. Of the 18, 11 are '38s.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote