Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #481
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

I'm excited about the parade! It will sort of be the woodie's 'coming out party', as very few people on the island know about it. Today while in town I got tracked down by a 'barner from Oregon who has two 1934 fords. Fun to share with V8ers from out of town. As for the tacoma cream wheels, it just made more and more sense as I thought about it and had to shoot an extra wheel with my close match 'Valspar whipped apricot satin'. That's what I spray my grill bars and trim with. Dang, it really brings the trim color from just the grill and sends it around the truck. I have a 1/2 can left so I will try to do two wheels tomorrow morning and see if I can get some coming on amazon before the parade. Good call BAT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gray floor and tc wheel 016.jpg (69.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg gray floor and tc wheel 017.jpg (84.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg gray floor and tc wheel 021.jpg (45.0 KB, 88 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #482
flatford8

Looks GREAT Gary!!!....from one coast to the other.......Happy Fourth!!....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #483
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Looks GREAT Gary!!!....from one coast to the other.......Happy Fourth!!....Mark
That middle picture makes me want to put a jeep front axle and a transfer case under this thing. 5 on 5 1/2" all the way. Off to the shop to paint the rear floor and some wheels .
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #484
GB SISSON

What do you guys think? I like it, but there's still a part of me that says 'body color', a green.. This looks nice to me so it will most likely stay. I found some white spray primer so I painted the wheels with that first so the tacoma cream spray would go further. Pretty much down to bolting down the school bus seat in the back. I stole the coon tail off my panel truck's antenna for the parade, just in case somebody along the parade route thinks I'm politically correct.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc wheels, flags, coontail 005.jpg (80.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg tc wheels, flags, coontail 011.jpg (74.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg tc wheels, flags, coontail 012.jpg (92.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 07-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #485
truckdog62563

If you’re happy, we’re happy, ‘cause only your opinion matters. It looks great, and will be the hit of the parade. Does the village have a gathering place at the end of the parade where the town folk will be able to look at the vehicles up close? You’ll be mobbed with questions and selfies! Stu
Old 07-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #486
truckdog62563

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post
You’ll be mobbed with questions and selfies!
Unless! Unless you’ve done such a good job that the townies don’t recognize what they’re looking at. I’d guess there might be other woodies that could be in the parade - you mention above a blue Plymouth. Might it be that your one-of-a-kind-hand-crafted example of the cabinet makers’ art could just blend in with the crowd? Subtle, understated, was I believe your goal. Stu
Old 07-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #487
RKS.PA

Gary, happy to hear you got the seat in for the grandkids!!! At the end of the parade, I predict one of two things will happen: 1, the grandkids will hang with you and cause such a commotion that that will bring more spectators over to your masterpiece, or, 2 they will scatter to explore all the other parade related excitement and you will be left to answers question from those truly observant who recognize what a beautiful piece of work they are having the privilege to see!!!

Either way, you can't lose!!!

Dick.

P.S. Hope you'll keep us posted as to how it went....weather, cooling, etc. This is "his/her" public debut...save for your posting here. Does it have a name??
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #488
Sid the Maineiac

Mr Sisson, a fine looking machine you have crafted! May the observers at the parade realize the talented effort put forth ( but most won't) as to them it will be just a damn nice looking old truck! Enjoy yourself immensely as you truly built this for yourself and savor the sweet taste of success ! Beautiful job !
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #489
rotorwrench

Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor for a one off heavy duty station wagon.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #490
GB SISSON

There are a few woodie guys who might be in the parade. One guy has three woodies. IIRC he has a 48 plymouth, a buick special (which I've seen, and a packard woodie. I parked my woodie next to the buick woodie and told the owner's wife, who was alone in the passenger seat, that I felt like 'Plain Jane' sitting next to the prom queen. Not that I'd trade straight across. There is the 41 plymouth I rebuilt a door bottom on last spring. It is a very beautifully restored car. As for a get together, I don't think there's anything official. I have not been in the parade for six or seven years now. People with old vehicles often park in town and talk cars for a few hours. I have a plywood board with about 6 progress photos as the woodie emerged from a pickup, as many people have a hard time envisioning it as an old derelict pickup. When my kids were young, we would sometimes have a few antique tractors driven by the kids, my 38 tonner and a trailer with a bunch of hit and miss engines. With so much to keep running, it was like being the ringmaster at a three ring circus. Parade morning was very stressful back then. I'll bring my camera. And many thanks for the kind replies I have received here!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #491
VeryTangled

GB Sisson, Thanks very much for letting us enjoy from this end!

Before and after...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (82.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.JPG (80.0 KB, 92 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #492
B-O-B

SIREEEN?? Gary You need a siren on that beauty.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #493
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B View Post
SIREEEN?? Gary You need a siren on that beauty.
Like this one on the fender? I still have it, and i remember that on 12 volts it sounded like it was gonna achieve 30,000 rpms so I just ran it on short bursts. The little guy to the right of the spare tire is 24 now and works for me in the woodshop, the redhead girl on the running board is my co-pilot in the parade as my wife has to work on Saturdays..... I think there was a song or an album entitled 'the kids are allright' and that's how it is here. In the 80s I asked a friend's 8 year old kid to come along with us in the parade and be my 'siren man'. He is now brass in our full time fire department. OK, I'll dig out the siren.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kids on 38.jpg (92.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #494
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
What do you guys think? I like it, but there's still a part of me that says 'body color', a green.. This looks nice to me so it will most likely stay. I found some white spray primer so I painted the wheels with that first so the tacoma cream spray would go further. Pretty much down to bolting down the school bus seat in the back. I stole the coon tail off my panel truck's antenna for the parade, just in case somebody along the parade route thinks I'm politically correct.....

Pick the right shade of green and tell everyone it was a former Forest Service or Park Service special order superintendent's staff car.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #495
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Pick the right shade of green and tell everyone it was a former Forest Service or Park Service special order superintendent's staff car.
And my fuel tank access cover might further convince them....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gray floor and tc wheel 003.jpg (45.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 07-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #496
cas3

what a great story this has been from start to finish! nice rig GB, it'l give you years of happiness i'm sure
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:47 AM   #497
burnette

turned out nice gary ! have fun at the parade ,don,t forget to take pictures.
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #498
GB SISSON

Great weather and a grand time was had by all. I whittled out a small wooden microphone for Woodie with a cord going down to the bumper mounted boombox. My son in law helped me program a 4 song playlist on the ipod. The Highwaymen, Alan Jackson, Hank Williams Jr and Johnny Cash were all covered by Woodie. The volume was at 10 and the crowd loved it. The kids (and adults) riding along had an absolute blast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie 771.jpg (73.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg woodie 773.jpg (55.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg woodie 774.jpg (54.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg woodie 775.jpg (63.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg woodie 776.jpg (53.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg woodie 777.jpg (64.6 KB, 100 views)
Old 07-08-2018, 01:21 AM   #499
expavr

Gary
Nothing better than a 4th of July Parade to celebrate the woodies debut!!! And the frosting on the cake are the smiles on the faces of your grandkids.....
Les
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #500
flatford8

Your music playlist is four of my favorites!!!......which “kid” is having the most fun???.....I’m betting the driver!!!......Looks great!!....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote