Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #361
Mart

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
So I ransacked my wife's wooden spoons and found a nice straight maple one that measured 5/8 on the handle.
Stirring stuff, there, GB.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #362
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Stirring stuff, there, GB.

Mart.
Now THAT'S funny! If my wife asks about it I'm going to say I saw it running away with a dish ....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #363
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Honing my woodie's kingpins with my slotted dowel and sanding belt strips driven by a cordless drill. Actually I couldn't find my 5/8" dowel and I didn't want to make the 24 mile trip to town so I ransacked my wife's wooden spoons and found a nice straight maple one that measured 5/8 on the handle. Worked great for another honing. The pins twist in with some encouragement when dry and with a light oil on them they glide smoothly in. This may look ridiculous to some, but it takes about 15 minutes per side and I'm in charge of the fit, not some new helper in a machine shop who doesn't care if they have a bit of slop in them because he went too far.
Is that a Craftsman screw driver being used as a hinge pin or a Harbor Freight cheapie?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #364
GB SISSON

I had a drill bit that was just a bit bigger than the original hinge pins. I used this on the worn hinges. Then I had to find a pin that fit... I found that some #2 phillips screwdrivers were a nice snug fit. On the driver's side I cut a #2 off and made two pins with washers for heads. When I got to the pass side I just couldn't cut my good crafstman off so I'm using it whole until I get around to finding another. In the meantime that pin's a lot easier to get in and out as I remove doors for latches and soon varnishing etc. You had to ask...
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 06-15-2017, 10:42 PM   #365
GB SISSON

I'm back at it pretty hard these days. I will be gone the next 4 days so I lose a weekend of woodie progress, but tomorrow I'll be shrimping with a buddy for those nice big spot prawns up near the canadian border, then on a road trip with the misses. Whenever I'm not doing the woodwork in the shop for customers, I'm kneeling on the concrete working on the wagon. This week it's been springs, kingpins steering stuff and welding in some lower cowl patches made from a radiator shroud I didn't need, so a break is a rare treat. Here's some of each type of work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headboard and woodie front end 020.jpg (56.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg headboard and woodie front end 022.jpg (85.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:42 PM   #366
GB SISSON

Been getting an hour in after work most days. Still, any progress is better than none at all. The warmer weather is helping my morale, and the use of nos and nors parts means the parts are fitting together with great satisfaction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suspension steering 005.jpg (74.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg suspension steering 013.jpg (83.1 KB, 76 views)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #367
Tinker

Nice work on a big project. its looking great.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-28-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #368
GB SISSON

Almost have this thing back to a roller with brakes. Unfortunately when I pulled the rear drums I found nothing at all on the backing plates. I had already bought new wheel cylinders because I always do, but I discovered I needed everything else, which means the parking brake links and cables. On a gamble I pulled the rear drums on my 1/2 ton panel, which is deep on the project list, and found everything I needed in almost new condition. Even the drums are excellent. The fronts were completed using parts from a restored jailbar truck that a friend had bought and immediately switched over to front discs. Then I cleaned and primed some good wheels and stretched on a pair of new 6.50 x 16 six plies with my trusty tire irons. Of course the day after mounting the tires I scored two more artillery wheels at a friend's place. Now I have four. At least I haven't mounted the rears yet. Would the artillery wheels look good on the woodie?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robbing parts 014.jpg (74.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg robbing parts 012.jpg (53.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg robbing parts 030.jpg (64.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #369
RalphM

JMO, I'd stick with the stock rims. Look more like a factory job to match all your beautiful woodwork.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #370
Mart

^^ Agree. I find the stock wheels more attractive than the artillery wheels. Just my opinion, of course but you did ask.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #371
Sid the Maineiac

Amazing Thread! Thank you very much for sharing your build.I look forward to seeing more of your progress on this amazing build.The end is in sight and hope you'll start another project soon for us "lurkers" to follow when this one is done lol
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #372
GB SISSON

Thanks all! Well I noticed today that the first two artillery wheels I've had for a few years are 5 on 6 or 6 1/2... Not sure what the ones I just bought are because I haven't picked them up yet. Anyway the choice is made. Stock rims and that's good because I have three of them cleaned and painted. Gotta pry off another cracked tire for my 4th rim. My employee just told me he'll be on the mainland tomorrow so I won't have anybody notice if I slide over and work on the rear brakes for a while.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #373
PeteVS

New avatar photo?? Put me down for a "like."
Old 06-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #374
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
New avatar photo?? Put me down for a "like."
I like to switch it up a bit. That's my 2 ton I did up about 4 years ago. 8ba and vacuum 2 speed axle. Straight pipes and I made all the bends up forward with galvanized pipe and lots of 45s. Should last a while. All good fun.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 AM   #375
slowforty

Will it pull the front wheels off the ground? uphill?
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #376
cmbrucew

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
Will it pull the front wheels off the ground? uphill?
It would depend on the length of the logs.
Bruce
Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #377
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
It would depend on the length of the logs.
Bruce
Those are 12' logs. With them it's like power steering. 14' would be getting into the wheelie zone and the hills here are really steep. I'll stick with the 12's thanks. Sold that nice '37 a few years back....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jailbar logger 020.jpg (79.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Herb and Mason and doors 035.jpg (105.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #378
flatford8

Hey GB....I've seen your video of you cruzin' in the panel truck...... you got any video of the big trucks workin'?....... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #379
PeteVS

Do you mill any of your own lumber? I've just been reading about the logging in Washington and it's fascinating!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #380
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Hey GB....I've seen your video of you cruzin' in the panel truck...... you got any video of the big trucks workin'?....... Mark
On youtube 37 ford 1.5 ton log truck here's a link but I can't usually make links that work.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRWB9vZW38