Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
32forddump

Default Volvo Overdrive oil

How much oil and what kind of oil goes in the Volvo overdrive?
Old 05-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
32forddump

Default Re: Volvo Overdrive oil

Sounds like a quart of 20/50 synthetic is the winner
Old 05-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

ATF IS BEST. Trust me, I KNOW!
Bill Laycock
Old 05-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
Dick Steinkamp

It depends...

The first thing to check in this department is for the proper amount of the correct lubricant. In the case of the M46, type F (or G, no longer available) ATF is specified. The M41 approved fluid is 80/90 weight gear oil. [Please see the Editor's Note at the bottom of the page.] In either case, synthetic lubricants are recommended, particularly in hot climates and for heavy use. The use of anti-friction additives is specifically prohibited according to the Laycock manual. The oil used must provide both lubrication and shear qualities that allow the internal friction clutches to operate effectively. I know many people are pleased with the use of high quality synthetics, such as Redline MTL, claiming it has improved their overdrive operation. I'm not sure I buy this version of better living through chemistry, but certainly clean lubricant of the correct viscosity is critical to proper function.

Editor's note: Experts disagree on which fluids to use with Laycock OD. Factory manuals recommend 30W oil for the M41 with the earlier D-type OD (through the '69 model year). For later M41s with J-type, the original recommendation was also for 30W, but this was changed to 80/90W sometime in the early '70s although we know of no changes to the specifications of the OD. For the M46 (a different gearbox with practically identical J-type OD), the factory books recommend ATF. Irv Gordon -- who is not known for wearing out Volvos quickly -- uses 80/90W in his '66 D-type. "Your results may vary."

http://www.vclassics.com/archive/laycock.htm
Old 05-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

I GIVE UP! Use what you want! SORRY I posted.
Bill W.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
Dick Steinkamp

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bill,
I'm hardly a Model A expert. I learn from this forum everyday. I am far more competent and comfortable with several other makes...including Volvo's.

You are absolutely correct that ATF is the fluid of choice in the late J type Volvo OD that was originally behind the M46 trany. If that's what the OP has, done deal. However, for the D type and early J type Volvo ODs either engine oil or gear oil is specified.

If you have run ATF in a D type or early J type successfully, great. I personally can't recommend that, however, based on what Volvo calls for...but what ever works, works.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
russcochiolo

Personal experience. I had put 30wt in an early J type (serial # not in books) and the sucker quit shifting. I followed Bro. Bill's suggestion and it works like a dream! Russ
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Bill,
I'm hardly a Model A expert. I learn from this forum everyday. I am far more competent and comfortable with several other makes...including Volvo's.

You are absolutely correct that ATF is the fluid of choice in the late J type Volvo OD that was originally behind the M46 trany. If that's what the OP has, done deal. However, for the D type and early J type Volvo ODs either engine oil or gear oil is specified.

If you have run ATF in a D type or early J type successfully, great. I personally can't recommend that, however, based on what Volvo calls for...but what ever works, works.
Dick,
The EARLY overdrive is a whole different animal VS the Model J, as you know. The Model J is stronger & withstands WAY more torque than the earlier version. Also, it doesn't require the TRICKY solenoid adjustment & problems with the "pull" & "hold" contacts on the end of the solenoid.
Locally I dealt with sluggish engagement & "in" & "out" at times, on 2 different cars. Using ATF cured them.
The pump plunger is like a plunger in a GREASE GUN & too heavy an oil sometimes causes air bubbles & cavitation as the plunger tries to "suck" in more oil & affects the EXTREMELY HIGH pressures. If I remember right, the pressures are around 3,000 Lbs, to operate the cylinders that engage the CONE clutch.
DON'T use STP or other "SUPER SHLICKERY" oils, those cause the clutch to SLIP.
I hope I SUSPLAINED it somewhat, but it's HARD, when I can't use my HANDS or DRAW pics.
BUT, if internal hard parts ever DESTRUCT, be ready to MORTGAGE your "FIRST BORN"
Bill W.