Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
tubman

Default Bad rebuilt starter from NAPA

Every once in a while, the starter on my '51 would hesitate a bit before it picked up and started the car. It happened once in about every 20 starts. This bothered me a bit, so I decided to solve the problem. Usually, I would have gone through the starter myself, but minor hand surgery has kinda limited me lately. I had seen several references to quality rebuilt starters from NAPA cheap, so I thought I'd take the easy way out this one time. I ordered a starter through NAPA Online and installed a new drive on it after I received it.

The first time I tried to start the car, it would barely turn over. I had had to start the car with the old starter to get it on the lift, so it had been working perfectly (with a fully charged Optima) just minutes before. We raised the car and checked the installation over and made sure it was grounded properly. The next attempt at starting the car, was the same; I did get it started but it barely turned over. Up again, and this time I put a 4 GA cable between the starter mounting bolt and a head bolt, but had the same labored turnover problem.

I had already disassembled the previous starter in preparation for a checkout, new brushes, and bushings, so I went through my stash and found one that had a "GOOD" tag on it. I installed that one and everything is fine again. Obviously, the unit from NAPA is defective.

One of the objectives I had was to reinforce my faith in NAPA as a consistent good source of parts, so this turned out to be doubly disappointing. Now I get to negotiate their Return Policy. I hope it works better than their starter.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Bad rebuilt starter from NAPA

Anything you buy from any source can turn out defective. It isn't NAPA's fault at all.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #3
Tim Ayers

My local Napa is incredible with returns. No questions asked. I have built a relationship with them, so maybe that helps. Not sure. I would absolutely return it for another one.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Anything you buy from any source can turn out defective. It isn't NAPA's fault at all.
This one came with a "Passed" Test Certificate in the box. There was no shipping damage that I could see. Don't get me wrong, I have had plenty of positive experiences dealing with NAPA over the last 50 plus years. I am pretty sure that NAPA does not do their own rebuilding, but outsources it. From a close inspection of said "Test Certificate", it looks to me that the rebuilding was not performed in the United States.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:46 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

Last year I got a new starter from one of the reliable vendors. Had many problems with it. Come to find out the armature was out of round by a lot. It was replaced and all is good.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
This one came with a "Passed" Test Certificate in the box. From a close inspection of said "Test Certificate", it looks to me that the rebuilding was not performed in the United States.
I believe they sometimes use brushes made from chynezium. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #7
19Fordy

"Chynezium" : a very rare metal which too much stuff sold in America is made from these days.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #8
ford38v8

There is a very loose definition of the word "rebuilt" when it comes to starters. The problem is not isolated to NAPA.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
Step-down

Your 51 is still 6 v positive ground just a thought did NAPA convert it to 12
Old 09-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #10
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step-down View Post
Your 51 is still 6 v positive ground just a thought did NAPA convert it to 12
I sure hope not. NAPA rebuilt starters have been recommended on here by several reputable people, which is why I got one.

If they did, I'll scratch them off my list of recommended suppliers.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
I sure hope not. NAPA rebuilt starters have been recommended on here by several reputable people, which is why I got one.

If they did, I'll scratch them off my list of recommended suppliers.
I have had very good fortune with NAPA remanufactured starters.
Folks, keep in mind there is an industry difference between remanufactured and rebuilt. Remanufactured is the best way to go if available.
I'm certain a bad one gets through now and then. However, I am willing to bet, at least with NAPA remanufactured starters, the percentage of bad ones is very low.

I disagree completely with a previous post by Franklin. It is solely NAPA's fault and no one else's. THEY sold you the starter.

Dennis, if you want, NAPA will reimburse you for your labor to R&R. You'll need to fill out a form of course but it's easy.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I have had very good fortune with NAPA remanufactured starters.
Folks, keep in mind there is an industry difference between remanufactured and rebuilt. Remanufactured is the best way to go if available.
I'm certain a bad one gets through now and then. However, I am willing to bet, at least with NAPA remanufactured starters, the percentage of bad ones is very low.

I disagree completely with a previous post by Franklin. It is solely NAPA's fault and no one else's. THEY sold you the starter.

Dennis, if you want, NAPA will reimburse you for your labor to R&R. You'll need to fill out a form of course but it's easy.
Mike, you may be right, but what scares me is that this might be the sign of a permanent downturn in quality. The pre-printed "Test Certificate" I referred to was in Spanish.

Getting reimbursed for labor sounds good, but ya know, I just couldn't do it; I'm just not built that way. It looks like Corporate America has found a way to make money off of my good intentions.

Last edited by tubman; 09-01-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #13
J Franklin

I doubt NAPA or any other retail merchant tests the starters they sell, they trust their suppliers. I think there is a marked decline, generally, in quality parts across the board.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #14
Charlie ny
BANNED

By all means it is NAPA's fault and responsibility. Did you try it on 12volts ? My NAPA
guys are the best, I'm sure yours are too. Don't be counting them out...IMHO.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
Ben38

Quote:
Every once in a while, the starter on my '51 would hesitate a bit before it picked up and started the car. It happened once in about every 20 starts. This bothered me a bit, so I decided to solve the problem. Usually, I would have gone through the starter myself, but minor hand surgery has kinda limited me lately. I had seen several references to quality rebuilt starters from NAPA cheap, so I thought I'd take the easy way out this one time. I ordered a starter through NAPA Online and installed a new drive on it after I received it.

The first time I tried to start the car, it would barely turn over. I had had to start the car with the old starter to get it on the lift, so it had been working perfectly (with a fully charged Optima) just minutes before. We raised the car and checked the installation over and made sure it was grounded properly. The next attempt at starting the car, was the same; I did get it started but it barely turned over. Up again, and this time I put a 4 GA cable between the starter mounting bolt and a head bolt, but had the same labored turnover problem.

I had already disassembled the previous starter in preparation for a checkout, new brushes, and bushings, so I went through my stash and found one that had a "GOOD" tag on it. I installed that one and everything is fine again. Obviously, the unit from NAPA is defective.

One of the objectives I had was to reinforce my faith in NAPA as a consistent good source of parts, so this turned out to be doubly disappointing. Now I get to negotiate their Return Policy. I hope it works better than their starter.
I just received one today. It looks OK, but the box sure was beat up, so I’m kinda nervous about it.

There’s an orange label on mine with a number to call for help. Did yours have that too? We’re they helpful?
Ben38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #16
J Franklin

So Charlie, what could NAPA have done to be faultless in your book?
Old 09-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #17
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
I doubt NAPA or any other retail merchant tests the starters they sell, they trust their suppliers. I think there is a marked decline, generally, in quality parts across the board.
I'll agree with this.

Still, NAPA in this instance is the place that sold it. It is up to them to source reliable suppliers.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #18
Kube

Quote:
Mike, you may be right, but what scares me is that this might be the sign of a permanent downturn in quality. The pre-printed "Test Certificate" I referred to was in Spanish.

Getting reimbursed for labor sounds good, but ya know, I just couldn't do it; I'm just not built that way. It looks like Corporate America has found a way to make money off of my good intentions.
Like you, I have often been reluctant to file for reimbursement on a simple job. However, back in the 70's when I did this stuff for a living, I would file. Time, as you know, is money.

I recall clearly Jasper so called rebuilt engines... after two that were total crap, well, no more Jasper (are they still around?). I had no issues with filing for reimbursement.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #19
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben38 View Post
I just received one today. It looks OK, but the box sure was beat up, so I’m kinda nervous about it.

There’s an orange label on mine with a number to call for help. Did yours have that too? We’re they helpful?
I will wager that I have changed dozens of flathead Ford starters in the last 65 years. I have rebuilt several of them as well; it just wasn't a good fit for me this time. I will guarantee that there was nobody at that number that would have been able to offer anything I didn't know.

If you have problems, post here before you call that number (unless you are fluent in Spanish).

The part they supplied was clearly defective. All of this being said, yours is probably good. Please let us know if it's not, as that would portend an unfortuante trend with NAPA.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #20
Charlie ny
BANNED

Franklin....."who shot john ?"......party at fault is the party that caused Denny a PITA.
NAPA will make it right but the PITA remains.

Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote