Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
jcheshire31

Default Sliding out of second gear resulting in broken transmission.

Last May ou club went on a tour and part of that tour involved driving down a dirt road. We were cruising along in second gear but just not fast enough to get into third. We put the transmission in March of 2010 and it had about 3500 miles on it when it broke. Before this it would only come out of second gear going up hills or when I would let the engine slow me down in second gear. During this tour the symptoms got a lot worse and it would not stay in gear for more than 3 seconds while I accelerated and on the dirt road I literally had to push the shifter arm as hard as I could towards the gas tank to the point that the arm started to bend. I knew this wasn't a good idea and to no surprise this ended up in catastrophic failure and transmission ended up with baseball sized hole in the case. 2 teeth chipped off of 2nd gear and got lodged in between 1st and reverse slider and the cluster gear which pushed the cluster gear down and broke the case. And it was a U.S.A. made gear. Any idea what would've caused it to keep popping out of second that badly?
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Sliding out of second gear resulting in broken transmission.

Did you rebuild this transmission, buy it as rebuilt, or buy it used ? Was the bellhousing measured before the install ? If you rebuilt it, what did you do and replace ? The shift tower condition as well as the lower component condition can have an great affect on its operation and jumping out of gear..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
jcheshire31

It was proffesionally rebuilt by a by a guy who specializes in model a transmissions here in Texas. (Not gonna bash any names) It had brand new everything down to the drain plug.
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Tom Endy

There is a long shopping list of reasons why a Model A transmission wants to jump out of gear. A number of them have nothing to do with the transmission itself. It is about proper alignment. Missing shims at the clutch housing ears is one, another is sagging motor mounts.

I suspect the damage you incurred may have been caused when attempting to re-engage the gears.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Jordan

James, you should try to upload the picture of it. it's kind of funny to look at.