Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default 1935-1936 Ford dash light HELP

I have run into a problem this old body just can't solve for me. Getting to the dash lights on my 35 peecup.

I have tried and I just can't get my body to bend and twist like it used to in order to access the bulbs myself so once I find the correct LED bulb I will just have to find a young contortionist to install the bulbs for me.

I believe the old bulbs are either GE63 or GE67 or perhaps Westinghouse 64. I arrived at this presumption from looking at a big box of misc NOS 6V bulbs I have accumulated over the years, my fading memory and an old speedometer that is missing the brackets for the bulbs and which attaches to the speedometer housing.

Does anyone have the correct number for the dash light bulb and an/or the correct LED bulb that will fit? (What about it Ken Ala.?) Come on somebody, brighten my day.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 09-11-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #2
rivcokid

Default Re: 1935-1936 Ford dash light HELP

Following because I'd like to know too. While the dash lights work in my 35, they are pretty dim and I'd like to put LEDs in mine also
rivcokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

I think Ken Alabama has come up with the bulb I am looking for. He is helping this computer age challenged guy pull it up on Amazon as we speak.

I have figured out how I managed to get to the dash lights in my youth, and it's not too hard for an old man. LOL

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Old 09-12-2021, 09:29 PM   #4
VeryTangled

Adding to the 'not enough light' topic.

When working on gauges in a '35, I found there are slots/windows with plastic "lenses" that let the light from the bulbs which are outside the gauges, into the gauges. There was significant dust and grime on the lesnes (and the inside of the glass) that made the gauges hard to see at night. I was able to clean inside and the lenses with q-tips but it was tedious.

Someone on the Barn also suggested replacement plastic lenses could be fabbed from a green soda bottle cut into appropriate strips.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #5
Lawson Cox

Everything is clean, (relatively), but I find it is really the positioning of the bulb, particularly on the left side of the speedometer that is the culprit. We will see what improvement is accomplished with the LED bulbs as soon as they are installed. I believe it should be really significant. I will keep you posted.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:09 PM   #6
Tom-MI

Very tangled-

I found the best replacement for a dash replacement "lens" is to replace the "lens" with a piece of overhead projector film. This stuff is readily available from any office supply store by the sheet, Cost is about a buck for a sheet that will give you a lifetime supply. This stuff comes in a variety of colors. Personally, I like clear rather than green. It lights up the numbers better. Oh yes, this stuff can take heat somewhat better than common plastic sheet material, Remember, it is for overhead projectors which can get warm.

Tom
Tom-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #7
Zeke3

Thanks Tom, that is a great tip on the plastic sheet for overhead projectors.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:43 PM   #8
aandkt

What LED did you use and how did they attach to the speedometer?
aandkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:38 AM   #9
ndnchf

Last year I changed my '35 fordor deluxe over to all LED lights - head, tail, dash and dome lights are now all LED. I think the dash were 63 type bulbs. They are a little brighter.

I run the 6v positive ground system. A couple weeks ago I installed a new Electronic Voltage Regulator (EVR) inside the stock generator. With such a light electrical load, the EVR keeps the battery from being overcharged. It is a very nice invisible improvement.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:32 AM   #10
Terry,OH

For the cars there are two lights.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:58 AM   #11
Model51

aandkt
There are two bulbs which illuminate the dash instruments in a 1935 Ford. The bulbs fit into sockets at the end of the wire ends. These sockets are designed to be held by a retaining ring. Each retaining ring slides onto a post sticking up from the speedometer casing at about 10 and 2 o'clock.
Several suppliers have the correct LED bulb for this application. One is Classic and Vintage Bulbs https://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/ and the bulb is Ba9s which works on 6 and 12 volts negative and positive ground.
The correct cloth-covered wiring harness with the correct ends are available from Tyree Harris in Virginia (Tyree Wires).
If need more info send me a PM.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote