Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #21
Don S

Default Re: Hagerty Insurance

In British Columbia, the only restrictions are on Vintage plates , they can only be used for sanctioned club events, weddings, graduations . I did not realize that taking the grandkids for ice cream was a no-no as far as insurance was concerned . Collector plates can be used for all driving except to work or school. I have had collector plates for many years now with no issues ,regarding use.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #22
rfitzpatrick

Per Hagerty Insurance Web Site at noon December 6th: Agent Kristy: "We are very flexable with usage and millage, Your not limited to Club Functions. Your welcome to drive your Model A for pleasure usage which includes getting Ice Cream, going to Dinner, running to the Store for errands".

I'm getting Ice Cream!!
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #23
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
No, not true. I worked for a time in the underwriting department, where past claim experience was evaluated to project future experience. Keep in mind that insurance companies are regulated by state insurance departments, and they require the companies to hold cash reserves against fluctuations to ensure their future solvency. So the combination of expected claims, reserve adjustments, state imposed taxes and other admin expenses (salaries, overhead, etc.) and a reasonable percentage for profit are the components of the rates the customers pay. Insurance companies expect to pay claims, and they expect to make profits even if claims are paid. And don't believe the politicians who claim that insurance companies are making obscene profits. They're the ones who want the gov't to take over insurance. This is a competitive business, and any company that overprices it's rates by over inflating profits will soon lose business to other companies with more competitive rates.
Will,

If I pay $220.00 for the year and didn't make a claim, they made profit of $220 for the year. If I paid $220 a year and made an $8,000 claim, they lost $7,780. No Profit to be made when a claim is made.

If I made a claim and they denied it, ... They made a profit of $220 off of me for the year.

Insurance companies are making obscene amounts of profit. The Medical side of insurance is the worst of it, but the auto insurance companies are right behind them.

I have always thought, that the insurance should be nationalized and is paid for through a fuel tax (at the pump). The more you fill up, the more you drive, the more you pay. Simple, easy, no confusion which is what the insurance companies fear, fairness.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #24
Gene F

rfitzpatrick, this was orally conveyed to you, or did she direct you to language in your policy to substanciate this?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #25
rfitzpatrick

"Orally Conveyed" I asked for responses by e-mail. Agent Kristy Davison on the Hagerty Web Site for Model A coverage in South Florida on this days date 12/06/2021.
I pull the information from a web-chat.
My question: Does My Policy Number XXX Cover Only Club Events.
Her response is above -- I also copied her responses.
Tks

Last edited by rfitzpatrick; 12-06-2021 at 06:29 PM.
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #26
katy

Quote:
If I pay $220.00 for the year and didn't make a claim, they made profit of $220 for the year.
Not exactly, methinks that they have some overhead that must be considered.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #27
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Will,

If I pay $220.00 for the year and didn't make a claim, they made profit of $220 for the year. If I paid $220 a year and made an $8,000 claim, they lost $7,780. No Profit to be made when a claim is made.

If I made a claim and they denied it, ... They made a profit of $220 off of me for the year.

Insurance companies are making obscene amounts of profit. The Medical side of insurance is the worst of it, but the auto insurance companies are right behind them.

I have always thought, that the insurance should be nationalized and is paid for through a fuel tax (at the pump). The more you fill up, the more you drive, the more you pay. Simple, easy, no confusion which is what the insurance companies fear, fairness.

Regards
Bill

Bill, Wrong again. If you paid $220 and had no claims that doesn't mean they pocket the $220. There were other people who did have claims. Your premiums are not intended to cover your claims only. You are paying for other's peoples claims as well as your own. Just like when you have a $8,000 claim and only paid $220, other people are paying for your claims. That is what insurance is- sharing the costs. And as for nationalizing auto insurance, we've all seen how efficient and fair governments are. Look at healthcare in Canada and England. If you want elective surgery, you're put on a waiting list for months and months. Why does anyone think that the government can do anything better than private industry?
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:50 AM   #28
ronn

well said Will!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #29
77Birdman

I have Grundy and spoke with them on the phone when I got the policy. They allow driving your car at anytime for just about anything. You cannot use it for daily use and you cannot use it for work. But if you want to go out for ice cream on a wednesday night thats fine. They told me that 'they encourage people to drive their antique cars!'. Now the state license(historic tags) is a bit diff. Supposed to use the car for related events and occasional use, parades, holidays. To split hairs, there was an instance in my county last year that the state police stopped a car with 5 people in it. This happened at 12 am on a weeknight. Occupants and driver were charged with drug offenses. The reason for being stopped was that the car had historic/antique and the fine print says that with these tags the vehicle cannot transport passengers on the highway!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #30
goodcar

Only had one claim with Hagerty. I needed a tow late at night. Called a friend who charged me much less than regular tow company. Hagerty didn't want to reimburse me because I didn't call them first. Local Hagerty agent finally paid. Do your homework before signing with any of them.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #31
Ted Duke

"https://www.hagerty.ca/insurance/Frequently-Asked-Questions/General-Guidelines"

AND THIS WEBSITE EXPLAIN THEIR RULES AND THEY DO NOT ALWAYS AGREE. READ THE ONE APPROPRIATE TO YOU, AND always read your policy.

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/fr...ral-guidelines
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #32
denis4x4

REMEMBER….insurance varies from state to state. What works for you in Arizona may not work in California. Same with Premium costs.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #33
PC/SR

Called Hagerty tow twice. Excellent service, much better than AAA. They even called to be sure the truck had arrived within the estimated time, and one time when it had not, they called the truck then me to tell me where the truck was. Happily pay my premiums for two cars.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #34
goodcar

Grade school daughter asked AAA for a map for a school project. Nope!! Your parents don't belong to AAA. Kinda harsh, don't ya think??
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:05 PM   #35
Gene F

I have used the towing insurance twice in 20 years. It is way better than the other towing coverages.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #36
01A

I had the same experience with Hagerty as PC/SR in post #33 here in Pennsylvania. Called Hagerty tow twice in 6 years. Excellent service, much better than AAA. No complaints. Also my policy is not limited to Club Functions. I can drive my Model A for pleasure usage which includes running to the store for errands, going to dinner, pleasure driving. descent policy.
01A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #37
KenBolton

Just had a club member settle a deer damage claim with Hagerty. Took months of “negotiation”. Ask how the car’s value was determined and was denied the information. Not a good experience.
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #38
ronn

Ive had great success with AAA- and get to use it on every car I own as well as motorcycles, so dont see the point in double coverage.

I know many on here are not pleased with AAA.
best 130 bucks a year I spend.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #39
Gene F

No change, hmmmmm. - I called on my impending renewal, because I wanted to boost the limits slightly on 2 of my collector cars. Now, all the sudden, they need my wife's drivers license number, etc. Like State Farm buying a big interest in the company will result in no change to the members - yeah right.

It's starting...
Old 12-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #40
Keith True

Gene,where did you get info that State Farm bought into them? That's not something I've heard about.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote