Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
fast fredy

Default 55 power steering conversion

Has anyone ever thought / tried to use a tri five chevy power steering system to convert your ford.. I have a complete system, I know it wouldn't be a simple bolt on switch Fred
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: 55 power steering conversion

I think it would be better to sell what you have and buy the correct FORD take-off ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
55blacktie

Default Re: 55 power steering conversion

Unless you can find used parts that are in good condition, expect to pay $1500-$2500 for parts. Borgeson has a conversion kit that eliminates the hydraulic boom, quicker ratio, and will probably give you more feedback than the one-finger-steering of the original boom-type power steering. There are electric conversion kits available as well. All kits are comparable in price. The Borgeson and electric kits will require steering column modifications.

My 55 Tbird has the original manual steering. It's only a problem when making U-turns or parallel parking.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:25 PM   #4
fast fredy

Ya .. I put electric steering in my 50 chev truck , pretty easy but had no column shift to deal with , and my 55 is 6 volt not 12 that would be needed .. Kultulz I know what your saying but the chevy system is only woth about 500 Fred
Old 11-18-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Quote:
Kultulz I know what your saying but the chevy system is only woth about 500 Fred
Most likely a FORD take-off will be about the same. You would have to go through it but would the GM system also.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
fast fredy

I would rather put on a Ford unit if I could find one relativly local .. shipping from US will be an issue
Old 11-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
miker98038

Just a couple comments, not a solution. Mummert does list a bracket to put a Saginaw pump on a y block. But for all I know the old Chevy and old Ford pumps are close enough in pressure to work, or a Heidt’s valve would work.

There’s a number of articles out there about putting Cavalier racks in Thunderbirds or Sedan. I’ve done that, and I found it to be a less than perfect solution. It’s even worse in a car with a column shift than in a bird. But you could search it and reach your own conclusions.

I know from rebuilding the front end on a buddy’s 56 Nomad (which included replacing the original pump (driven off the generator) with a mid 60’s Saginaw) the ram systems look pretty similar and work on the same principles. But the width of the center link is going to be the key thing. IIRC both systems use a different center link (or whatever that is called) to both mount and control the ram than a manual does. After you’re past that, the various attachment (from the pitman arm, idler arm, tie rods, etc all have to be checked. I suppose there’s a chance they’re similar, but I never got that lucky.

Since you can’t just hack things off and weld other things back on with the steering system you’re probably looking at machine work, or fabrication from racing parts, or other things not right for a street car.

I think those hidden cost and liabilities might make the oem prices seem more reasonable, even with shipping and duty charges. And then there’s resale value.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
55blacktie

I've not heard of any 55-57 Tbirds owners' being happy with the rack-and-pinion conversion, which actually increased the already wide turning radius.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #9
fast fredy

miker ,, thanks for your thoughts Fred
Old 11-18-2021, 09:20 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Red face Re: 55 power steering conversion

BORG-WARNER was the source for both the FORD and CHEV PS ASSIST SYSTEM during this period.

They would not interchange. I should have started off with that.

And no reason for a SAGINAW PUMP. The OEM EATON does fine in this application. The SAGINAW was used/transplanted for a rack conversion, it's requiring a higher pressure to operate.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #11
miker98038

Kultulz, FWIW, the Saginaw I was talking about was used both on the ram assisted steering on the vette’s for years, as well as the power steering boxes. But I never checked the pressure from one to the other. They could have looked the same but had different pressures.

I can also tell you what happens when you hook the hoses up backwards, and it isn’t pretty.

I only learn by doing sxxx wrong it seems.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:07 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 55 power steering conversion

Quote:
... the Saginaw I was talking about was used both on the ram assisted steering on the vette’s for years
I did not know that. I stand corrected. The VETTE had a more aggressive system requiring higher pressure I guess.

I am GM challenged. Please excuse me ...

Quote:
I only learn by doing sxxx wrong it seems.
Don't feel like the LONE RANGER. I have made stupid mistakes I hope all concerned have forgotten ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #13
JeffB2

You might want to give this a good look. https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/e...4-ford.526435/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #14
KULTULZ

Question Re: 55 power steering conversion

Will a 6V GEN SYSTEM support it?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #15
fast fredy

will a ps assist set up from a 61 ford work on my 55 wagon thanks Fred
Old 11-24-2021, 02:20 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 55 power steering conversion

Not likely. You will need to find a 57 or possibly a 58.

I can check for you if you want.

Where did I get 57 or 58 ... ???

1955/1956.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-24-2021 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #17
fast fredy

Thanks , it would be great to know exactly what options I have for a doner , I'm not opposed to doing a bit of modification if necesary thanks Fred
Old 11-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Basically, any system from 1954 to 1956 will work.

I had a brain fart and got 57 FORD from somewhere.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #19
fast fredy

thanks
Old 11-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #20
miker98038

Here’s the “conversion kit” for the 55 Thunderbird. Sit down and take a deep breath before you open it. It has all the parts required. I used one of these 20 years ago, followed by a rebuilt 3 sector (mid 56-57) box. It should give you a little better idea what you’re looking for. Notice the steering box is the same, no replacement needed.

The bird has a slightly more narrow track than the full size cars, so I expect the center link is too narrow for your use. But K might have some replacement part numbers to confirm or deny that.

The problem doing any other conversion (new power box or rack and pinion) is the steering shaft is part of the box, all the way to the steering wheel. So that has to be cut off, the column modified, the column shift reworked or replaced, etc. I can tell you from personal experience that you gain very little if anything in steering feel or ratio over the oem power steering. Unless you can do your own machine work or you replace the column with an aftermarket one it’s a bit difficult. That’s why the electric steering is attractive. And none of these alternatives are cheap, and if done cheap are probably not safe.

Due to age and old injuries I really need power steering these days to enjoy the car. So I’m sympathetic to your desire to add it. But it’s easy to go down the rabbit hole and not be able to stop digging.

https://www.larrystbird.com/product/...7-replacement/
Old 11-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #21
fast fredy

thanks miker .. i doubt thats going to happen , especially in Canadian funds and international shipping... I have done the electric on my 50 chevy truck but it had no column shift a nd it was already 12 volt , think I'll keep looking for oem or a granada
Old 11-24-2021, 08:25 PM   #22
miker98038

That’s why the warning to sit down, that price surprised me or actually my old memory from back when. But it does show the parts involved, and it’s all in rebuilt or new condition.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:52 AM   #23
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 55 power steering conversion

Most everything is different between the PASS CAR and BIRD, due to track-width.

I guess I am a purist, I want it to as it was built (as possibly feasible) especially if it is a nice car. I have no use for a JAPANESE steering box or CHI-COM electric steering. If I want to go to positive steering control and was modifying the car for resto-mod or hot street, it would get a MUST II conversion.

It is all up to the owner and what he wants.

In a case such as this where old parts are becoming a problem, it might be best (IMO) to find a salvage car, strip it and dispose of it.

Even if you do find a donor all the hydraulics will have to be gone through and mechanicals most likely.

When you take into consideration the BIRD KIT and all one would have to go through to convert one, it is a good deal (IMO).
Old 12-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #24
cokefirst

I could be wrong, but I believe that the Ford system in the 50's uses the Eaton pump which puts out less pressure than the Saginaw. I also believe that the control valve and other parts are Bendix and not Borg Warner.
cokefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #25
KULTULZ

Red face Re: 55 power steering conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

BORG-WARNER was the source for both the FORD and CHEV PS ASSIST SYSTEM during this period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokefirst View Post

I could be wrong, but I believe that the Ford system in the 50's uses the Eaton pump which puts out less pressure than the Saginaw. I also believe that the control valve and other parts are Bendix and not Borg Warner.
And you are correct. Where did I get that? Must have had transmissions on my mind.

THANX for catching that. I am surprised no one else saw it ...

- DISCLAIMER -