Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
gkgeiger

Default How do I buy Bob Sherman thermostats?

The title says it all. I just installed the Stant 14157 therms and they must be stuck open because I still can't get any temperature in my engine. Just drove it 20 miles and it never went above 140*.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: How do I buy Bob Sherman thermostats?

His last name is Shewman. If you are a member of the EFV-8C/A, and get the V-8 Times, he has a 1/2 page ad with all his products shown. If by some slim chance you are not already a member of the EFV-8C/A, here is his contact info:

Robert Shewman
PO Box 163
Kimberton, PA 19442
Email: [email protected]

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
gkgeiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
His last name is Shewman. If you are a member of the EFV-8C/A, and get the V-8 Times, he has a 1/2 page ad with all his products shown. If by some slim chance you are not already a member of the EFV-8C/A, here is his contact info:

Robert Shewman
PO Box 163
Kimberton, PA 19442
Email: [email protected]
Thanks, I am a member. I'll check my latest issue
Old 09-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Old Henry

Did you test the Stant stats before installing them in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer in it? I always do. You might want to test them now and see if they're working right before replacing them. Could be something else. If this is for an 8ba engine, Shewman's stats should be OK for cooling but not so good for warm up as explained in post #11. If for 59A or earlier, you might want to read these threads about Shewman's stats before buying them: http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112889 and https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143576

You can order Shewman's thermostats on the phone or by email at 1-610-933-6637 or [email protected]m

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-05-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
oldford2

Professor,
"If this is for our 8ba project, Shewman's stats should be OK. If for 59A or earlier, you might want to read this thread about Shewman's stats before buying them: http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112889
"
"Should be O K on an 8BA but read this thread for 59AB"??

What is the difference between an 8BA cooling requirement from a 59ab? Here is a fellow who just asked where to buy Shewman's stats. He apparently has read enough to make a decision. If you have not tested Shewman's stats personally, why are you raising this doubt??
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Professor

What is the difference between an 8BA cooling requirement from a 59ab?John
The 8ba thermostats sit in the block surrounded by a pool of water so that when the cup on the Robert Shaw style stat drops down the water can just flood over the top of the cup unrestricted whereas in the 59A the stat sits in the radiator hose neck (or in the hose itself for Shewman's adaptation of the 8ba style) and the water is blocked by the cup rather than being able to freely flow over the top of it unrestricted. Wish I was good at drawing a nice graphic diagram but I'm not. Maybe the graphic diagram guru 51 MERC-CT can help us out. If you look at the design of the thermostats made for the 59A engine compared to the Robertshaw style stats made for the 8ba engine the difference in function for the two different environments is quite apparent. The thread referenced (http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112889) is a good source for those images and more information. If I can find any good diagrams that show the difference I'll post them.

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-25-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
charles in east texas

Apparently he has not read enough to make a wise decision. Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
gkgeiger

Unfortunately I didn't check them prior to installation. They are definitely stuck open, with the rad. cap off I can see the water flowing at start up. I will pull them and see what I can do. I bought one locally and one off ebay.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Gene, when you get the Shewman stats installed, and run your car a bit with them, please give use some feedback here on how they work compared to the other stats that didn't. There has been so much "hoopla" posted here about various different thermostats that it's difficult to make any real sense from any of this information.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-25-2013 at 09:33 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
gkgeiger

It appears to me that most people have trouble cooling their cars so they need less restriction, but with mine I can't get enough heat in the engine. Granted, I haven't run it in 90* weather and in slow moving traffic. I'm just concerned about damaging the engine. I know there has been much conversation about therm or no therm, but I don't think it's healthy to run an engine at 130*.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
It appears to me that most people have trouble cooling their cars so they need less restriction, but with mine I can't get enough heat in the engine. Granted, I haven't run it in 90* weather and in slow moving traffic. I'm just concerned about damaging the engine. I know there has been much conversation about therm or no therm, but I don't think it's healthy to run an engine at 130*.
gkgeiger, since you are having difficulty getting your engine to warm up you probably don't want Shewman's stats since they have holes drilled in them that keep them from completely shutting off the water flow for warm up. The ones for the 8ba look like this one that has had the same 3 holes drilled by Speedway Motors to make the standard 330 Robershaw stat a "high performance" one for racing that they sell here: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/180-De...stat,1836.html. You would be better off getting one of the unaltered Robertshaw stats here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bra-330-160/overview/ All of this is, of course, if you're engine is 8ba. If 59A or earlier, see next post.

I just talked to Bob Shewman on the phone and his stat for the 8ba does, in fact, have those holes.

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-25-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Old Henry

gkgeiger, if your engine is the 59A or earlier stick with the Stant stats but test them to make sure they work before installing them. Also, make sure you get them in right side up and secure them with either an extra hose clamp above them or wires down the side of the neck. Otherwise, they will likely get pushed up out of place, turn sideways, and do nothing. As I think more about the problem you've had, that may very well be it. Here's how I secure my thermostats in the neck of my 59A engine.

I pull a single strand of wire out of a piece of stranded wire,

Cut it to 3½" length.

and thread it through both sides of the thermostat like this.

Then drape the wires down the side of the neck like this.

Then push the hose down over it and tighten the hose clamp being sure that the clamp is at the top of the neck to grab the wires rather than at the bottom and possibly miss them.

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-05-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
gkgeiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
gkgeiger, if your engine is the 59A or earlier stick with the Stant stats but test them to make sure they work before installing them. Also, make sure you get them in right side up and secure them with either an extra hose clamp above them or wires down the side of the neck. Otherwise, they will likely get pushed up out of place, turn sideways, and do nothing. As I think more about the problem you've had, that may very well be it. Here's how I secure my thermostats in the neck of my 59A engine.

I have a 59AB and the same Stant stats that you recommended. I put a nylon tie around the hose just above the stat to keep it from moving. I'm sure these would do the job if they were any good. Thanks,
Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
I have a 59AB and the same Stant stats that you recommended. I put a nylon tie around the hose just above the stat to keep it from moving. I'm sure these would do the job if they were any good. Thanks,
It will be interesting to see when you pull your hoses off to take out the Stant stats to test them whether they are still in place or have, in fact, turned in position and how the stats test out. Let us know.

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-25-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:50 AM   #15
kale

Quote:

Cut it to 3½" length.

Then push the hose down over it and tighten the hose clamp being sure that the clamp is at the top of the neck to grab the wires rather than at the bottom and possibly miss them.
Thanks for the guide Henry it was really helpful. I was able to do it first time.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
davidkidd

Quote:
gkgeiger, if your engine is the 59A or earlier stick with the Stant stats but test them to make sure they work before installing them. Also, make sure you get them in right side up and secure them with either an extra hose clamp above them or wires down the side of the neck. Otherwise, they will likely get pushed up out of place, turn sideways, and do nothing. As I think more about the crazy bulk you've had, that may very well be it. Here's how I secure my thermostats in the neck of my 59A engine.

Cut it to 3½" length.

The pictures and descriptions are very useful. Explained everything to me and sorted out my confusions.

Last edited by davidkidd; 05-07-2018 at 12:04 PM.
davidkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #17
mijusow0

Quote:

Cut it to 3½" length.

Very useful guide. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #18
Old Henry

Default Re: How do I buy Bob Shewman thermostats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijusow0 View Post
Very useful guide. Thank you!
I've since suggested one improvement on this idea. Twist the single strand of wire on itself on each side so that only one strand has to be compressed by the hose instead of two. It also holds the wire in place better during installation.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
gkgeiger

Problem solved. It wasn't the stats but my installation. The nylon tie didn't do it's job (stats twisted in hose allowing the water to bypass them). So I took a piece of 1 1/2" pvc (1 7/8") O.D. tubing and cut a 3/4" wide piece inserted it a little over an inch into the hose and clamped it with a screw clamp. Haven't driven it but it went to 160* in a few minutes idling in the driveway. Thanks to everyone who tried to assist me.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
Old Henry

Congratulations! It's always nice to find a nice clear cause of the problem with a nice simple, easy solution. Way to go. Glad it worked out for you.

Sorry I got so side tracked with all the 8ba stuff. For some reason I thought you had that engine in your car. My bad.