Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #1
A Model A

Default The 1st Model A; Oct 20, 1927

On October 20th 1927 the first production Model A engine was stamped by Henry Ford. On October 21st 1927 the first production Model A drove off the assembly line.

Here is a video with even more history on that event.
https://youtu.be/c_3u7QxXDSs

Attached Images
File Type: jpg enginestamp.jpg (4.8 KB, 742 views)

Last edited by A Model A; 10-20-2021 at 08:02 AM.
A Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: The 1st Model A; Oct 20, 1927

I did not know that Henry Ford did not know how to drive a stick shift car! Thanks for posting this interesting video.

The comment that Henry Ford did not know how to drive a stick shift raises an issue! If Henry did not drive the 1st Model "A" off of the production line because he did not know how to drive its stick shift, then how is it that he supposedly drove a prototype Model "A" in a field and decided it needed shock absorbers????

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 10-20-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
old ugly

i want the fan shroud
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #4
gz

Ford bought Lincoln in 1922. I am assuming from 1922 until late 1927 he drove at least one of them!!!!!!!!!!!
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Those first 200 production models were not prototypes. The first prototype was ready for road testing early in July of 1927. Most testing was for the engine and drive train testing as well as brakes and suspension. Harold Hicks was involved with the road testing of several prototype vehicles and was involved in an accident later that month that put him out of action for a while. Henry drove one of the test prototypes himself to get a feel of it. Edsel made the announcement of the completion of the "NEW" model on August 10, 1927 so they could start production tooling build up. The original prototypes were used to train line supervisory personnel for best use of the method on the new line that was being set up at the Rouge. It wasn't till mid October when they started hiring new workers and doing the training and re-training of older employees that were called back. The A line began to roll on November 1st. It's hard to imagine a plant going from nothing to something in just less than three months and especially with the size of the new Rouge facility but it happened.

The serial number 1 car was the first production car but the engine was stamped by Henry after it passed the run in test on the test stand so It took a while before engines were actually put into the frames. The first few cars would have been a practice run before the line finally started full production. Monday October 24, 1927 is listed as the first car date according to news reports of the day. Those first cars were where they learned what was going to work well and what was not. The Photo dated the 21st from the Henry Ford shows only one Tudor Sedan on the line so it was a one off at the time. https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...tifact/319178/

The short time it took Ford Motor Company to set up the Model A assembly line was a first in industrial history and was likely only surpassed by the building of the B-24 plant at Willow Run in Ford History even though the set up For WWII was also quite a change over from cars to tanks in a short period of time.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-21-2021 at 10:14 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #6
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Those first 200 production models were not prototypes. The first prototype was ready for road testing early in July of 1927. Most testing was for the engine and drive train testing as well as brakes and suspension. Harold Hicks was involved with the road testing of several prototype vehicles and was involved in an accident later that month that put him out of action for a while. Henry drove one of the test prototypes himself to get a feel of it. Edsel made the announcement of the completion of the "NEW" model on August 10, 1927 so they could start production tooling build up. The original prototypes were used to train line supervisory personnel for best use of the method on the new line that was being set up at the Rouge. It wasn't till mid October when they started hiring new workers and doing the training and re-training of older employees that were called back. The A line began to roll on November 1st. It's hard to imagine a plant going from nothing to something in just less than three months and especially with the size of the new Rouge facility but it happened.

The serial number 1 car was the first production car but the engine was stamped by Henry after it passed the run in test on the test stand so It took a while before engines were actually put into the frames. The first few cars would have been a practice run before the line finally started full production. Monday October 24, 1927 is listed as the first car date according to news reports of the day. Those first cars were where they learned what was going to work well and what was not. The Photo dated the 21st from the Henry Ford shows only one Tudor Sedan on the line so it was a one off at the time. https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...tifact/319178/

The short time it took Ford Motor Company to set up the Model A assembly line was a first in industrial history and was likely only surpassed by the building of the B-24 plant at Willow Run in Ford History even though the set up For WWII was also quite a change over from cars to tanks in a short period of time.

Wasn't Hicks' accident what convinced Ford to put safety glass in the windshield?
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:17 PM   #7
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

Nice Video
Thanks
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #8
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Wasn't Hicks' accident what convinced Ford to put safety glass in the windshield?
It certainly was. Ford had their own glass plant at the Rouge where they started making laminated glass for the model A. They eventually had other glass plants to help with the vast supply chain of Ford Motor Company.

I worked at a boat window manufacturing plant in Tulsa, OK when I was going to A&P school there and it was supplied by the Ford plant there at the time.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:16 PM   #9
nkaminar

Because there are not too many pre 1916 cars in my area, my Horseless Carriage Club allows cars up to 1927 and that rule is intended to keep out Model A's and other more modern cars. But if I bought a Model A built in 1927 could I drive it in my Horseless Carriage Club tours? This is not a serious question, just some rumination.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:51 PM   #10
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
But if I bought a Model A built in 1927 could I drive it in my Horseless Carriage Club tours?
Build date vs model year...

I have a 1990 Turbo Eclipse with a build date of March 1989. Most of the time I say it's a 1990, but when you order parts, you sometimes need to say it's 1989.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #11
plind

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...uVzh4UKT5LoQ0u

And on the photo here, you can see this is not the same Engine, as some people says is the one from Edisons Tudor...

Tudor * A 2820 *

Town Sedan * A 4472283 * Orig.never restored.
plind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz View Post
Ford bought Lincoln in 1922. I am assuming from 1922 until late 1927 he drove at least one of them!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with Guy on this. Ford was not "out of touch" in such regards such as the operation of a clutch and shifting a manual transmission. Many like to 're-write' history for their own slant.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #13
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I agree with Guy on this. Ford was not "out of touch" in such regards such as the operation of a clutch and shifting a manual transmission. Many like to 're-write' history for their own slant.
I am sure he knew how but I bet he was surrounded in the later '20s by guards and security staff that drove him. There were infamous kidnappings besides the Lindbergh case in that era and he must have been security-obsessed for the whole family.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #14
gdmn852

Ford was concerned about kidnapping, therefore enter Harry Bennett .
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #15
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Model A View Post
On October 20th 1927 the first production Model A engine was stamped by Henry Ford. On October 21st 1927 the first production Model A drove off the assembly line.

Here is a video with even more history on that event.
https://youtu.be/c_3u7QxXDSs

I enjoyed watching that, thankyou A Model A.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #16
Jim Mason

10/21/27
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1639266852065.jpg (63.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #17
Mountain Dew

I noticed that the shifter knob was round and not mushroom. I thought the mushroom shifter was an early '28 feature.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #18
plind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
I noticed that the shifter knob was round and not mushroom. I thought the mushroom shifter was an early '28 feature.
Thanks, i have try to tell it for some Model A " Eksperts " and hte said that Mushroom was the 1. gen of shift knob..
I canīt remember where, but i have read for years ago that Mushroom was startet i beginning Jan. 1928.. Can someone tell about it.. ?

Per,

Tudor * A 2820 *

Old 12-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #19
WTSHNN

Judging Standards state that initially the knob was round but went to mushroom shaped sometime in November of '27 through April of '28.

-Tim
Old 12-12-2021, 11:09 AM   #20
plind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
Judging Standards state that initially the knob was round but went to mushroom shaped sometime in November of '27 through April of '28.

-Tim
Ok.. But on my 19. Dec 1927 it has the round knob...

Per,

Tudor * A 2820 *