Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
Ian NZ

Default 1935 Ford V8 Locking Gas caps

As far as I can make out this style of gas cap (as per photo) was apparently the correct one for Ford V8's from 1935 - 1939.
I have seen three versions of this gas cap, two with the wording stamped on the screwed on plate (as per photos) referring to the to the vent, one plate has three screws and the other four. and the other other more common type not having any wording on the four screw plate. I have seen two sold recently on Ebay for a big price, one was $177 without any wording on the four screw plate.
What I would like to know is this style of locking gas cap with out the wording stamped on the four screw plate in these 1935 - 39 years, can one of the screws be removed to change them into a ventilated type or are they already the ventilated type same as the ones now reproduced by Bob Drake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original Ford locking petrol cap 2.jpg (20.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Vented type i.jpg (52.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Vented type 2.jpg (42.8 KB, 85 views)
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1935 Ford V8 Locking Gas caps

The correct cap through '39 has a rivet on the lock cover. THAT'S what you had recently seen on eBay sell for $177. That "real McCoy" is very rare. If concourse showing is your concern, the caps you'd attached to your post are not correct.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
DavidG

Mike,

With respect, the version with the rivet securing the gasket under the key access cover is the '37 and up version. The versions without the rivet are the '35-'36 versions ('35 un-vented and '36 vented).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Mike,

With respect, the version with the rivet securing the gasket under the key access cover is the '37 and up version. The versions without the rivet are the '35-'36 versions ('35 un-vented and '36 vented).
Is this rivet securing this gasket under the key access cover some where, on the 1937 and up versions, and these models would be vented.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
ford38v8

Ian, A rivet was added (as Mike said) per the drawing of 3/30/36. With the change to an unvented filler tube, around 3/28/39, a .78" vent hole was added under the key hole cover hinge. This cap was obsoleted at the end of 1939. There are other drawings, but I personally have not seen examples of those. (As you know, not all drawings of all parts ever made it to production.) Your pictured caps appear to reflect the period during which vents were not on all filler tubes, and one actually can be converted, as the lettering and arrow indicate. As such, they would not be correct prior to the vent drawing. Your pictured cap without the rivet may be correct prior to 3/30/36, if it is not one of the pictured caps with lettering referring to vents on the underside. The differences in location of screws, and the exact lettering may reflect different manufacturers, of which there were several.

Pictured below is the cap that appears in the 1938-'39 book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1946.jpg (41.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1947.jpg (36.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 11-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Mike,

Thanks Dave and Alan. I ain't done learnin'!
Old 11-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
deuce5wndw

While we are on the subject what are the 01A-18416-A diecast chrome cap correct for? on the box it says 1932-48 but I know that is not correct. Thanks, Dale.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
Gary Tosel

David G, I agree that the 35 Ford tank is not vented, while the 36 Ford tank is vented, it would mean the 35 Ford needed a vented cap and the 36 Ford would need the non-vented cap. Opposite of what you said. Not to nit-pick, but I believe that it is true.
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
Ian NZ

Alan here is the picture of underneath that cap that came for sale on Ebay. It has nothing written on the plate held by four screws, so I wonder what model V8 it applies too.
The cap photo is the same as the first photo I have shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original Ford locking petrol cap 2.jpg (20.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Four screw no inscription.jpg (27.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
DavidG

Gary,

No, a '35 cap was non-vented as the gas tank vent was part of the fuel/air sending unit recalling that the '35 still had a hydrostatic fuel gauge and not an electric fuel gauge and sending unit which sealed the tank. I agree with Alan that the '36 filler tube vent permitted the continued use of a non-vented cap.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #11
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
Alan here is the picture of underneath that cap that came for sale on Ebay. It has nothing written on the plate held by four screws, so I wonder what model V8 it applies too.
The cap photo is the same as the first photo I have shown.
Ian, So that cap, no rivet, and no reference to vent on the underside, apparently was the first version, correct up until the rivet was added on 3/30/36.

So glad that Drake added his name on the bottom, otherwise who would know?
Old 11-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Ian NZ

I would say that all Drakes caps would be vented. so they would not be suitable for the 1935 Models.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
Marv

Drakes cap for 39 Ford are vented and does a good job removing paint from the fender.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #14
Ian NZ

I would like to see one of those non vented locking caps with the plate off, as I cannot see how they can seal it off efficiently with the key turning, and moving the plunger in or out, they must leak around the key.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
I would say that all Drakes caps would be vented. so they would not be suitable for the 1935 Models.
I have been using a Bob Drake locking gas cap on my stock/original '35 fordor sedan for years and it works well. Since the tank is vented on top at the hydrostatic sending unit, I wasn't concerned whether the cap was vented or not. I'll check to see if it's vented or not the next time I get gas.
With the location of the '36 gas tank vent tube coming up to the top of the filler neck, it seems to me that a vented cap would be needed, but maybe I am missing the basics here.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #16
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I have been using a Bob Drake locking gas cap on my stock/original '35 fordor sedan for years and it works well. Since the tank is vented on top at the hydrostatic sending unit, I wasn't concerned whether the cap was vented or not. I'll check to see if it's vented or not the next time I get gas.
With the location of the '36 gas tank vent tube coming up to the top of the filler neck, it seems to me that a vented cap would be needed, but maybe I am missing the basics here.
Yes if there is a vent tube coming out the top of the filler neck a vented cap would be required. Can a 1936 filler neck with the vent tube be fitted too a 1935 gas tank. If you have the original set up of the hydrostatic sending unit in a 1935 you would require a sealed cap as if you filled the tank right up you would have trouble with gas coming out of the vented cap if fitted.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #17
koates

Yes I had a Bob Drake locking cap on my 34 Ford and if the tank was 3/4 full or more then fuel spewed out of the cap key slot all the time. Bloody useless so I fitted a plain cap and it seals up OK. Also the plain type cap with the V8 impressed in them seal up very well too. The 33-34 fords have a vent tube built into the hydrostatic fuel gauge tank unit. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #18
GaryU.

Here's some pics for Ian NZ of gas cap on my bench. Got this at a swap this summer, am missing sliding part and no key(oops). There is no markings so is it authentic? If someone has parts for one let me know, the plating is in great shape ,so it would be nice if it was usable. Last, posting these now because my photo app. is back functioning.

GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #19
Ian NZ

Thanks very much Gary for the pictures of the 1935 locking gas cap, they are very in interesting. To me they are not a fully sealed cap as they rely on a metal to metal face seal on the sliding part, so they would still leak a certain amount if you filled the tank up specially if they are a bit worn. it would be very hard to make a fully sealed locking cap anyway. I would say the only sealed cap to have on the 1932 - 1935 V8 models is to have an plain one.
The sliding part would be easy to make with the right material, you would have to very careful of the thickness of the special material you made it of because that is where it seals and it has to slide back and forwards. I would go to some firm that sells Industrial plastics and explain your problem to them, and you then can make one by fileing it up. They were probably made of steel originally which is not a good seal. You would have to remove the key tumbler and the locksmith can soon make a key for it.
Thanks once again.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
Ian NZ

I would be interested to know if anybody has ever pulled one of Bob Drakes Locking gas caps to pieces and if the inside looks exactly the same as the 1935 one in Gary's pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap Drake version.jpg (44.6 KB, 25 views)