Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Britcheflee

Default Overdrive fixed!!!

I think my days of crawling around under a car trying to get a heavy gearbox in and out are over - my body is aching - either that or I need to invest in a car lift.
Just went for a drive and finally have the OD working - it did take a bit to work out what was going on - get up to speed, release the gas, feel the slight bump and then accelerate away again - allowing you to get up to at least 50 in second. The kickdown works fine and overall its a pleasure to drive now.
The issue was the rail was tweaked - from what I understand the pin which held the overdrive engage/disengage lever had rusted away allowing that to move? Anyway the spring was scrunched up and the rail a little bent. Eventually got the spring from van pelts (very helpful guy there) and a kind member is sending me the correct retaining pin for the lever - just have a temporary pin in there at the moment.
Not something I would like to rush out and do again. Putting two bolts with the heads cut off as guides on the belhousing for the transmission to line up was extremely helpful but still a lot of huffing and puffing and shoving and lifting to get it just right so it popped in.
Thanks for comments and advice.
Britcheflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Overdrive fixed!!!

Well done. Power to ya for fixing it yourself.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
40cpe

A working over drive makes driving an old Ford much more pleasurable. Yes, it is a pain working with a heavy chunk of iron but you will be glad every time you drive it.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
donald1950

i have 4 car ramps that i run the car up on and chain down all 4 tires to them and a transmission jack from Harbor Freight to get it up and down. i use 4 bolts (heads cut off) about 6 inches long with a about a 1/2 inch of slight taper and screwdriver slots cut into them to remove them. they are long enough that the transmission in on the bolts just before the input shaft enters the bell housing. having 4 "dowel pins" really helps center and guide the input shaft to the poilet bearing and the transmission jack keeps the transmission very level for the slide home....
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
tubman

I am thinking; "Car lift first, then overdrive". My days of rolling around under cars is over, I'm afraid. I have two guide studs I use when putting the transmission on when it's not in the car. I think 4 might be better if working under it. My guide studs are fine thread on one end (for installing transmissions), and coarse thread on the other for installing heads).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
trainguy

Taking a Od in and out in a convertible with the x member is really a chore! Installed a clutch in my 51 conv! Hopefully never again!
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #7
cas3

i remember in my youth laying on my back with the tranny on my belly, take a deep breath and shove it in! cant do that any more
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #8
Alaska Jim

cas3, I know what you mean, I used to do that with ford toploader 4speeds ( think Mustang ). also used to do the 3spd's w/o/d when I was young. I can't even pick them up anymore. the years have taken their toll on my back. I am almost at the point that I am only a driver anymore.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
D. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i remember in my youth laying on my back with the tranny on my belly, take a deep breath and shove it in! cant do that any more

I too remember doing that when I was young but now there isn't enough room between my belly and the frame etc to get the transmission up there. Darn cars must be getting lower to the ground.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
Alaska Jim

I really like 2nd gear overdrive in town, it almost eliminates most shifting. low enough to accelerate from almost a stop, but yet high enough to cruise town at about 35-45mph with no problem. My Merc. does have a 4:27 rear diff.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #11
Frank Miller

I agree with the convertible. You have to back it out, drop the front and turn it 90 degrees while lowering it. It won't come straight down.

While second gear overdrive is convenient it place excessive wear on the cluster gear.
it is recommended by Ford to not drive excessively that way.