Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
segelhorst

Default Windshield frame removal

Being new at posting to the Barn, I would like to thank everyone for their post that helped me bring my car from the barn to the road. My brother purchased the car in May 1950 and it was used by various family members until 1961. It has rested in the family barn until a few years ago, then I retired and my brother handed me the title. My car runs, drives and stops to my satisfaction but my issue now is rattles. I noticed this weekend my main rattle is the windshield glass rattles in the frame. I would like to remove the complete frame and take it to an automotive glass shop and have the glass replaced. How do I remove the windshield frame? Is there a simple way of stopping the rattle without removing the frame? Thank you in advance for your advice.
segelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
segelhorst

Default Re: Windshield frame removal

I failed to mention it is a Dec 1928 2dr Sedan.
segelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Dick Steinkamp

It would be great to remove it if nothing else to determine if it is safety glass. If it is, you could take it to a glass shop and have them remove the glass and reseal it. If not, they could use the old glass as a pattern for safety glass.

Remove the swing out hardware on both sides of the windshield. Disconnect the wires or vacuum hose to the wiper. Have a couple helpers hold the windshield out and remove the several screws along the upper hinge that go into the wood windshield header.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
Farrell In Vancouver

Just the Frame and shield can slide off the hinge but the visor if in place will have to be removed first. Once its out of the way disconnect the windshield stanchions and lift the windshield to about 90 degree to the posts. It will now be able to slide it off the hinge.
The other way is to remove the screws holding the hinge to the header and pull the whole affair out.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
SteveB31

Just remove the 8 machine screws that hold the windshield frame in. take you 5 minutes
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #6
Gunmetal blue2

Thank you everybody I will need to do this as well. Welcome segelhorst.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
jdupay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
Just remove the 8 machine screws that hold the windshield frame in. take you 5 minutes
Tried this on mine and could not in any way budge those screws. Ended up sliding frame out of the hinge. I am wondering if the screws were painted in place. Thoughts on getting these out?
jdupay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
monto

If you cover the fuel tank for protection with an old blanket / rug, you'll be able to remove the windshield without help.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
daveymc29

Release the swing arms, wiper and push the window out as far as you can. Put a few moving pads, blankets or even a padded cardboard box under the windshield. Stuff rags or a pillow, whatever to push the windshield back up a bit. Take two screws out just in from the ends. Get two new screws that are about an inch or so longer. replace the longer screws just the length of the old ones, now back out the remaining original screws. then remove the long screws. windshield should be resting on your padding and if you are strong enough you can do as you will, if not get help to carry it forward until free of the car. Then it is easily a one-man operation until time to reverse the steps. Put in the long screws and then replace all the others, take the long ones out and put the last two in. Hook up swing arm and wiper and polish out the fingerprints. Ten minutes out, half hour back in.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #10
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Couldn't find screws of correct length down at the hardware store. Everything was too long. Ended up sawing down and filing clean the new hardware and rigged it to fit. It's pretty simple smoke-stack technology stuff. The entire windshield screw replacement job cost less than a buck in new parts. That's what I love about the A Model Ford. Even an ape like me can work on the car and repair most things.