Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Payne

Default Looking for Pictures of 1932 Ford Radio installed in a car.

Hey fellas,

I'm looking for any photos of a 1932 Grigsby-Grunow radio installed in a deuce. The only picture I've ever seen is the one from the V-8 Affair showing the radio head dial mounted on the steering column. I'm looking to find the exact placement for the wooden speaker box on the floor board, and where to properly install the two steel boxes contain the radio parts themselves in the floor pan.

Thanks,
Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
koates

Default Re: Looking for Pictures of 1932 Ford Radio installed in a car.

Hi There, Check out Petersen Publishing Companys 1976 book , "AUTO RESTORATION TIPS & TECHNIQUES". Soft cover. Pages 226 to 229 article titled, " THE FIRST FORD RADIO". Great photos showing most of what you need to know. Probually find one one ebay. Also in "THE V8 AFFAIR" 2 photos and wiring circuit of complete 32 radio set on page 268. Hope this helps you. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
koates

Also further to the above info :- Ford service bulletin for april 1934 , Vol 15 No. 3. Pages 170 to 174. Photos and circuits of ford radios including 1932 with fitting instructions of the radio and motor generator mounted in rear floor panel with all measurements. Good luck, Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
32phil

The wooden speaker is mounted to the left side of the firewall on a metal bracket that mounts alongside of the Instrument tunnel. Neil Cornelius in New Jersey (908) 561 1932 is a good source for info & parts. I'm not sure on the area code it may be 973. I have a Motor Generator and Tube chassis with some wiring and an original Wooden speaker box. if any one is interested I will sell them. I also have an extra Motor Generator in a good rust free metal box.

Last edited by 32phil; 12-10-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Corrected speaker location
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
DavidG

The location of the steel boxes in the floor, which varies by body type, is shown along with a lot of other information about the '32 radio in Appendix 19 of the two volume V-8 Club "The 1932 Ford Book, A Production Chronicle and Restoration Guide", which is available through the Club's website, www.earlyfordv8.org.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Payne

Thank you guys for the quick responses and useful information, it's greatly appreciated.
Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
phaerich

Payne,
I owned the '32 phaeton featured in "The V-8 Affair" book. I installed and played the radio anytime I drove the car and it worked great !
I would be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding the radio and it's installation; especially the running board antenna.
phaerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
DavidG

As shown in the illustration below, the speaker box was mounted on a bracket that attaches to the firewall on the driver's side of the car (LHD).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 465.jpg (53.6 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 07-02-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: addition of illustration
Old 09-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Kevin LeCompte

Do you have the ilistrations for the rest of the radio. we are trying to figure out what we are missing. so I can look for it at Hershey Thanks Kevin
Kevin LeCompte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
1937pickup

Once again Ford did it early-steering control for the radio-all the rage now. When ever someone with a new car begins bragging about their new car having push button start I tell them my 37 Ford pick up has push button start as well-nothing new.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
DavidG

The photo below shows the majority of the components of the radio. Not shown are the two-part running board antenna, the speaker bracket (shown above in my earlier post), and the various condensors to suppress static from the spark plugs, generator, and ignition coil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 462.jpg (45.8 KB, 125 views)
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
Charles Seims

E mail me at [email protected]. I will send you some Ford factory pix of radio installation during current-draw tests. I have approx. 500 32 Ford factory photographs.

Chas Seims
Charles Seims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
32sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne View Post
Hey fellas,

I'm looking for any photos of a 1932 Grigsby-Grunow radio installed in a deuce. The only picture I've ever seen is the one from the V-8 Affair showing the radio head dial mounted on the steering column. I'm looking to find the exact placement for the wooden speaker box on the floor board, and where to properly install the two steel boxes contain the radio parts themselves in the floor pan.

Thanks,
I know this is an old thread. I was wondering if you found everything you need? I have a 32 Fordor with the Grigsby Grunow radio that you are talking about. As I understand it, Ford did not install radios. However, they did authorize Grigsby as the official/sanctioned radio for their cars. If you wanted one, your local Ford dealer would install it. The one in my car was installed in 1934 (two years after the car was purchased brand-new) and remains there to this day. I know this because I found the receipt from when my grandfather had it installed. We don't throw anything away in my family! Funny thing is that literally within a year or so of purchasing this radio, they phased out all dynamotor radios for the better/lighter/cheaper vibrator radios. Anyway, the poster who said the speaker goes on the driver side of the firewall matches how mine is installed. I assume that is correct since it was a Ford dealer who installed it but who knows? If it is correct, I bet it would be the same install as your Deuce. I know you are probably onto bigger and better things but I thought I would drop a line just in case.
32sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #14
DavidG

The radio came with a pamphlet with instructions to install it. The illustration above showing the installation of the speaker on the inside of the firewall is from that Ford pamphlet so it is reasonable to assume that it is correct.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
32phil

I have corrected the location of the speaker in my earlier(almost 2yrs. ago Yikes !! ) post to the left side. Since then, I have managed to find a few more pieces, no luck on the control head unfortunately...soooo ...I'm still looking for radio bits and pieces or will sell or trade what I have to help someone else in their quest for a radio.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
1932 V8

A friend of mine mentioned the other day he has a an original box for the rear floor for a radio . I can follow up on that if anyone needs one .
1932 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #17
32sedan

I just recieved a private message from a member about measurements of the wooden speaker for a 1932 Grigsby-Grunow radio. However, when Intried to respond ut said I could PM anyone because I didn’t have enough posts. So to Ian NZ, I say: Hi Ian,
Do you just want the physical measurements of the wooden speaker? It’s location? Something else? Let me know.
Gene
Old 06-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #18
32sedan

Sorry for the word salad in the last post. Danged autocorrect. It should have said I couldn’t PM anyone because I didn’t have enough posts.
But looky here. I now have another post! So maybe I will eventually be able to Private Message before too long.