Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Bring a Trailer Auction results 1928 Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
I dont understand, I am not saying it is not true but I dont understand. Why the auction sites would say that.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Auction sites need Sellers. When a prospective Seller is searching for a place to market their vehicle, it is easy for the Auction site to say check our previous sales. If it appears a similar vehicle has recently sold for a decent price (-maybe higher than average), it is a great sales tool to help convince a prospective Seller. If you are a Buyer, generally you don't tell everyone how much you paid for it, but if your friends see that on the 'net, it looks impressive that it appears that you paid that much. It also looks impressive to the Seller's peers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Brent - thanks for your insights, seems auctioneers know all the tricks, as a seller that is what you want. As a buyer trying to get deal sounds like it is frustrating., have to be careful or you quickly can overpay.

Well a strong argument is made looking at this from both directions. By theory every sale of any item should be fair for both sides. In other words, the Seller should be compensated for the exact worth of an item. Let's call that Fair Market Value. The Buyer is also expected to pay exactly what something is worth or FMV. The Auctioneer is there to represent the Seller to try to obtain the full worth or FMV of each item.

It really is not "tricks" per se' unless the Auctioneer is being dishonest (-like shill bidding by a trash can or a person in the audience). I guess their attitude is the Buyer should start the bidding out at exactly the fair market value price so that they are playing fair with the Seller. Since most potential Buyers are unwilling to play the game that way, then it only seems fair that the Auctioneer will then equally play to the Seller's advantage in the sale. Therefore the best way to do that is to let each person tell the Auctioneer exactly what they will pay for it. The last one that tells the Auctioneer what they will give is generally called the 'high bidder'.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #22
30 Closed Cab PU

Brent I agree with all of the above, my definition of "tricks " was not including dishonesty, but the best honest methods to maximize the winning bid.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #23
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning all...In my humble opinion...it is better to skip the auctions and purchase an 'A' from a private party who is a Model 'A' club member. The price is generally more reasonable and one can drive the car and see how it runs for a half hour or so...can't do that at an auction...more likely to obtain a pig in a poke at an auction...price can also depend to how many adult beverages the bidders have consumed...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #24
Jeff/Illinois

I prefer Ernie's way of thinking on this.

I've wasted a lot of time and energy attending auctions where the auctioneer was a complete arse as they say overseas.

I've seen plenty of shill bidding, calling out a 'bidder' in the back that didn't exist, and an auctioneer who would close the bidding immediately after the first call and announce 'well, Bill takes another one' and when people would complain that auctioneer would scold you and tell you they didn't see you bidding and 'get your hand in the air' boys if you want to bid (I was standing in front of him that day almost hitting him with my GD hand) after he sold a NOS McClintock radiator for a '28 Ford still in the box for 5 bucks. Bill 'got that one too' along with a lot of preemo sheetmetal and bare blocks. They went for 2 bucks a pop.

Me thinks perhaps 'Bill' was the auctioneer cleaning up on Model A parts for himself or his brother-in-law or some close friend. Bill also got a very nice '30 Dlx Roadster for a very small sum too.

Turns out the owner was in the nursing home with Alzheimer's and had no relation left. There was nobody to contest what was happening.

Never will go to or did go to one of THAT guy's auctions again.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Looks like a good result for a decent Model A:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1928-ford-model-a-7/
I agree, looking at the photos the car was well worth that price. Nice car.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I prefer Ernie's way of thinking on this.

Then again, from my personal experiences, some of the most poorly restored Model-As was work done by MARC/MAFCA members. The same can be said for "professional restorations" too. Let the condition of the vehicle speak for itself and do not let the other sway opinions on how the condition should be.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:18 PM   #27
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Tom View Post
I have a 28 sport coupe and my spare is in the rear. Did they make different types for 28?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
Yes, they were sold both ways. Rear mounted more common.

True as far as it goes. Rear mount was standard (and therefore more common) - one or two fender mount(s) was extra-cost option, factory-installed on special order or dealer-installed.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #28
stillwater

For an all original A in that condition, if I had the money I'd make the purchase.
You don't see such a nice original like that everyday. Awesome A.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:12 PM   #29
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
For an all original A in that condition, if I had the money I'd make the purchase.
You don't see such a nice original like that everyday. Awesome A.
That is a Big problem, It is "NO WHERE" Close to being "AN ALL ORIGINAL A"
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #30
oliverguy

I think the buyers are more educated now. We have the judging standards and these forums where ideas and pitfalls are shared. You can email a picture at an auction to a friend and get instant feedback. None of that was available to the buyer years ago.

The low priced cars are crappy old restorations and there are fewer and fewer original cars out there. Someday the only fodder for restoration will be fixing crappy restorations done 50 years ago.

Model a's are still the cheapest thing to restore.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote