Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
zoegrant

Default Od solenoid with a key on the plunger

Orientation of the flats on the plunger 8--2
What does this fit this solenoid ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.2 KB, 21 views)
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
JimNNN

Default Re: Od solenoid with a key on the plunger

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but I'm looking at the old original solenoid from my '54 and comparing it to your picture. The flats on the shaft of my old solenoid are 90 degrees off from the flats of your unit. Otherwise it's the same. Is that what you're talking about?

The new solenoid I bought has the flats oriented like your unit. According to 5th Ave., this doesn't matter. Some units were made with the the flats one way, some the other way. I installed mine without a problem...probably had to put it into the pawl at a different angle, but no big deal once the I turned the unit to bolt it into place.

BTW, when you turn the solenoid to the proper position to bolt it into place, the flats of the shaft ARE NOT parallel to the sides of the pawl...(and NOT perpendicular to the slot in the pawl that the flats slide past in order to lock to the pawl.) This is by design. That's why the solenoid is turned an eighth of a turn rather than a quarter turn at removal and installation. (edit: I'm wrong...it is turned a quarter turn...was thinking of something else. But the flats still aren't oriented to the pawl on the parallel/perpendicular, as I understand it.)

As I've said earlier, my OD is still not working but I've had to put it aside for other projects, so I don't really have a path to follow to success at this point, but I want to help where I can.

Last edited by JimNNN; 12-02-2019 at 05:39 PM.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
zoegrant

Default Re: Od solenoid with a key on the plunger

I will admit that I have not tried to fit the solenoid into my transmission as the flats are lined up 8-2 oclock…
According to the Thunderbird restoration manual, addendum G, by Gil Baumgartner on page 325, 1955 thru 1957 T85 & T86 transmission solenoids have to be oriented so that the flats are facing the 1 and the 7 oclock position.
I will try to get someone from CTCI to clear this up for me.
I also have thru email requested Vanpelt`s to chime in on this issue. I will post their reply when I get one...
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote