Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Rollingmenace

Default Question regarding heater electrical

It's kind of a noobish question But then again I've only owned this car for two months ..and I'm still learning....
I recently hooked the magic air heater back up in my 51 deluxe the car has original 6v electrical I found the blower switch power wire replaced fuse and hooked it all up.... Good news it makes heat no core leaks and it blows....
Now we took the car on a short ride last weekend to meet up some locals off the hamb.. It was in the 30's. So we ran over to the meetup spot with heater running it was around a 2 mile trip at most... City roads nothing where the rpm really got up for an extended time.. Now when we went to leave I started the car up let it idle and warm up for a few minutes.. Proceeded to drive home about halfway there sitting at a light the blower running I noticed a noise from the dash like a buzz pause buzz pause buzz... I think it was coming from the box in the dash I assume it was the circuit breaker located just to right of instrument cluster... Same box where fused line to blower switch appeared to come from.... When doing this the amp meter was bouncing around a little....if I turned off switch noise went away
Is this something normal with the 6v system with the orig generator .. Or is it something I should be concerned with...
I have about 98% of the stuff for a 12 v conversion but I would like to be able to drive it with no worries on the 6v before I switch it over
Rollingmenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
Drbrown

Default Re: Question regarding heater electrical

Beware of the circuit breaker. I'm not an expert but find out what's going on ASAP. A bouncing amp meter indicator might indicate a significant sporatic short going on. Buzzing might be a loose connection or short touching ground. It the circuit breaker cycles through shuts-downs and is getting hot and it could start a fire, even with the car shut down, anytime of day. Got a battery disconnect device ? - use it, at least until the problem is identified and fixed. Keep us posted. Dan
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
36Bill

I would check the bearings in the blower fan too, they could be old and in need of oil.

Bill
Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Rollingmenace

Dan^^ I'll check on it for sure I typically pull the cable when car is setting... The thing that has me confused is it only was doing it while blower motor was running if I turned the switch off the jumping and buzzing went away....

Bill I know it's been at least 10 years at least since the last time blower was used so ill also look into berrings on motor
Rollingmenace is offline   Reply With Quote