Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #1
ol shakey

Smile Aftermarket accessories from 20s 30s 40s 50s

There was lots of up grades and accessories made for or would work on Model A Fords. Thought it be neat have a thread that lists, pics, and talks about them. I have heard of freewheeling option never seen one ? Fans, ashtrays, lighters, vases, fancy radiator caps, two speed rear ends, oil gauges, whistles, all types of heaters, speed equipment, shift knobs, spot light, radios, Rex accessories.

What old school accessories do you have or know of that are pre 1960?
ol shakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Aftermarket accessories from 20s 30s 40s 50s

There is a book with a title "Those Wonderful Unauthorized Accessories For Model A Ford"? See http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mo...r-model-a.html

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
JohnLaVoy

Early on accessories were really added to Model As, then the judging standards were created and kind of brought the hobby back to how the car left the factory, which was with out accessories. I have always been a big fan and have added many to my cars over the years. I've just finished an article on various heaters and am working on one for luggage racks. On the west coast the Otwell heater is kind of rare so here is a picture of one of those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ottwell.jpg (69.1 KB, 101 views)
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
DougVieyra

The Otwell Heater pictured by John LeVoy (above) is from 1929 onward. The earlier Otwell Health Heater of 1928 had a design flaw - it was straight across at the top, no dip in the middle. This earlier design did not allow for access to the distributor oiler, etc.

I agree with John, the Judging Standards have really 'killed' the interest in adding vintage accessories to the Model A. But, like John, I too have always had a great appreciation for 'period correct' authentic original accessories for cars of the 1920's and '30's.

While my basement is still full of all types of them, for application onto my own cars, I have a set of 21" Motor Wheel Corp. Artillery Wood Wheels for my '28 Phaeton. A set of 19" Kelsey-Hayes (bend spoke) wheels for my '31 Dlx Coupe. 1926 vintage Standard Safety Corp. turn signals for my '28 Phaeton, NOS Fulton Sun Visor for my Phaeton, NOS (from 1928) Step Plates on running boards, Dunn Aristocrat Dash Panels for both my '28 Phaeton and my '31 Coupe. Robe rail and Foot Rest for the rear passengers in my Phaeton, the Trunk and mounting rack on the rear of my '28 Phaeton is an original from Standard Safety Corporation; original Fulton Fu-maze on both cars.

Not installed are my original Fold-Down Windshield Stanchions for my Phaeton, Globe Winter-Fronts (one for '28 & one for '31) Radiator covers, Otwell Health Heaters for both cars. I have a bunch of other 'stuff' from the '20's and '30's but the list is just too long to recite. I'll stop here.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 03-06-2016 at 01:44 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
The Otwell Heater pictured by John LeVoy (above) is from 1929 onward. The earlier Otwell Health Heater of 1928 had a design flaw - it was straight across at the top, no dip in the middle. This earlier design did not allow for access to the distributor oiler, etc.

I agree with John, the Judging Standards have really 'killed' the interest in adding vintage accessories to the Model A. But, like John, I too have always had a great appreciation for 'period correct' authentic original accessories for cars of the 1920's and '30's.

While my basement is still full of all types of them, for application onto my own cars, I have a set of 21" Motor Wheel Corp. Artillery Wood Wheels for my '28 Phaeton. A set of 19" Kelsey-Hayes (bend spoke) wheels for my '31 Dlx Coupe. 1926 vintage Standard Safety Corp. turn signals for my '28 Phaeton, NOS Fulton Sun Visor for my Phaeton, NOS (from 1928) Step Plates on running boards, Dunn Aristocrat Dash Panels for both my '28 Phaeton and my '31 Coupe. Robe rail and Foot Rest for the rear passengers in my Phaeton, the Trunk and mounting rack on the rear of my '28 Phaeton is an original from Standard Safety Corporation; original Fulton Fu-maze on both cars.

Not installed are my original Fold-Down Windshield Stanchions for my Phaeton, Globe Winter-Fronts (one for '28 & one for '31) Radiator covers, Otwell Health Heaters for both cars. I have a bunch of other 'stuff' from the '20's and '30's but the list is just too long to recite. I'll stop here.
Heh Doug. Are you the Master of Procrastination? Why not get them installed and let the other people in the hobby see and enjoy what they don't have? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
KansasRick

One of my favorite accessories is my Boyce Radio Motometer. I first saw one when visiting George Deel in Blue Springs, Mo. If you are ever in Kansas City and have time, George is the person to go to on accessories. He has a collection you would not believe. He even has something called a Model A refrigerator. Yep....that's what I said

Anyway back to the Boyce Radio Motometer. I have attached a photo of the front and back of the only one I own. What I understand is that anything that had the word "Radio" associated with it was like the coolest thing in the day. The shape of the motometer is supposed to look like the microphone in a broadcast radio station from what it was explained to me. There is a small nubbie thing on the back of the unit that had a shielded wire connection that would light a light bulb in the top of the motometer at night so the driver could read the thermometer in the dark. Anyway....that is one accessory I had that I wanted to share with the barn. Hope you found this interesting. Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boyce Radio Motometer.jpg (51.6 KB, 146 views)
KansasRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
Phil Brown

Lit Motometer , very cool
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
HoarseWhisperer

Boyce "Red Ball" Motometer. Sensor installs into rad hose.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
denis4x4

I would really like to get a pair of running board step plates with a dealer name, preferably one in Colorado.

It would be interesting to see what the dealer retail price was in '28-'31 and what the real dealer gross profit was then. Like dealers today, I suspect that A dealers used after market accessories to bump the profit.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #10
Bob-A

Cool Re: Aftermarket accessories from 20s 30s 40s 50s

A pic of an aftermarket adapter bracket for using Deloc-Remy generators on Model-A's. The generator is a restored 935-J, used on 1935 Chevy trucks. I have it mounted on my '31 roadster. The Delco genny supposedly puts out more juice than a stock Ford generator. I also had to
run a '29-'34 Chevy pully on it without the built in fan. In order to line up
with the fan belt.

Bob-A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0372.jpg (56.9 KB, 39 views)
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #11
Bob-A

Wink Re: Aftermarket accessories from 20s 30s 40s 50s

A pic of a Stromberg URO-1 carburetor I bought attached to an early Model-B intake manifold. It's an interesting looking carb with a built
in accelerator pump. Opposite side has a connection for a choke cable and a throttle cable. No idea what it originally fit! Sure does look cool
and I hope to restore it some day.

Bob-A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stromberg Updraft #2 005.jpg (78.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #12
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Aftermarket accessories from 20s 30s 40s 50s

A pic of a newly repainted "Simmons Swan Manifold" intake mounted on my '31 roadster. I also have a newly acquired Simmons side bowl carb
that I will be running on it shortly. The air-maze air cleaner is an older
70's repop I believe that I fancied up. With some red wrinkle paint, gloss
black paint, polished letters and a chrome pinch bolt & nut.

Bob-A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Virginia 005.jpg (84.7 KB, 127 views)
Old 03-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #13
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Aftermarket accessories from 20s 30s 40s 50s

And last but not least for the day. A restored Model-70 S&M spotlight temporarily mounted on my '29 roadster. I also have another restored one
that I will mount on the passenger side. Once I figure out exactly the right mounting brackets I'm going to make. The one shown is just a mock up for display only. The brackets I eventually make will mount off the existing stanchion screws with no extra holes drilled.

Obviously I love collecting Model-A accessories, especially era correct ones.

Bob-A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&M #70 Spot. on '29 Roadster 004.jpg (40.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg S&M #70 Spot. on '29 Roadster 003.jpg (49.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg S&M #70 Spot. on '29 Roadster 005.jpg (63.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #14
DougVieyra

Bob-A, Post #9: ". . .aftermarket adapter bracket for using Deloc-Remy generators on Model-A's."

About 1963 at a swapmeet, I picked up about 4 adapter brackets with modified Ford V-8 generators that were fitted for use on a 1928-1931 Ford Model A. I still have them in the basement - never did use them. I was always going to 'get around to it one of these days', but never did.
Ofcourse now the whole concept is out-of-date, with all the modern options. But they do serve as a reminder of what we did in the '40's, '50's, & '60's, to keep our Model A's competitive with modern cars.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #15
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Remembered back in the 1960s when we were out in earnest scouting for old cars in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and southern Maine. Many of the Model As found tucked away had long ago been retro-fitted with sealed beam headlights and later 17 and 16 inch Ford V8 car wheels. Assorted oddball carburetors in place of original Zeniths were common too. We also used to get rid of the Zenith carbs as soon as possible and replace them with Tillotsons.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

My '30 Town Sedan has a Unity Spot Light of unknown vintage. Definately not an original Unity "SportLite" as it has a 50w sealed beam bulb. The mount is for a 28/29 Model A tho.

I also have a 30's "Fire-Stop" fire extinguisher onboard. The extinguishing fluid they used in it back when was found to attack your kidneys and other internal organs. (I'll have to look and see what it is).
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #17
JohnLaVoy

I've liked the bud vases!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bud vase in sedan low res.jpg (40.6 KB, 43 views)
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #18
roblesterjr04

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlavoy View Post
i've liked the bud vases!
i have to do this in my fordor.

Love it!!!!

1929 Fordor Leatherback
roblesterjr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #19
Terry, NJ

Of course there is the Clock in mirror! I'm looking for two more. And a working clock for the one I do have. It just shows how inventive we Americans can be! Too bad someone has to "step on" this for the sake of presumed purity.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #20
Tiny

How about an airplane radiator cap?

Spare tire "guard" center bumper extension

Light up Moto Meter

jeweled head light visors

Fog/driving lights

Political signs

Last edited by Tiny; 03-10-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote