Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
bikemaniac

Smile Exhaust smell in car during driving

Hi,
I have clocked some 700 mi in my Model A now, however there is an annoying smell coming from the engine or the exhaust and I cannot locate it.

1. The smell sort of annoys my respiratory system and makes my throat dry. However it first starts after about 1h of high speed driving. I just feel that it is not healthy at all.

2. I have a hard time describing the smell. It is not 100% gasoline, nor 100% exhaust. Something in between maybe.

3. When the car has just been started, there is no smell.

4. After 1h or so as highway speed such as 50 mph, it is particularly noticeable when I reach a red light and the engine idles. I sort of also feel the smell is there when the engine really has to work. Babying it at 30 mph does not seem to give any smells.

5. I drive with my windows open because it is hot outside.

6. I have just replaced the exhaust manifold and used high temp sealant everywhere to really seal the exhaust off everywhere.

7. I know from modern cars, if you drive with your trunk open and have the front windows open, you will get exhaust automatically into the car by some vacuum mechanism. Might that be my problem? Because the exhaust ends at the rear axle which is basically below the rear seat and thus exhaust gasses can be drawn inside due to a vacuum?

If I cannot solve this smell issue there is definitely not going to be any USA road trip for me :-).

I was told to put a filter into the oil filler tube to avoid the oil aerosols hitting the engine and heating up = maybe causing the smell. I tried it, but is does not seem to solve the problem.

Any suggestions?

Lucas
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
RandyinUtah

Default Re: Exhaust smell in car during driving

This might seem off the wall but I have seen when a mouse moved in to muffler and made a nest or died. It took some time to burn the smell out of the exhaust system. Just a thought.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
700rpm

It might be your sealant burning off. It might be your manifold gaskets are not fitted properly. Unless you put on a brand new exhaust manifold, it might be warped and not sealing properly. It might be blow-by from the crankcase escaping out the oil filler tube. There is a special cap made with a hose that redirects those fumes out below the car (see Bratton's or Snyder's web sites). That's about the best I can suggest from 10,000 miles away.

It is unlikely being sucked in from the exhaust pipe itself.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Brentwood Bob

exhaust pipe should extend about a foot past the bottom of the curve over the rear axle.
Could also be curing out of the copious sealant, or if you repainted the intake and exhaust or the muffler assembly.
No weeping at the steering column attachment to the gas tank, or the shutoff under the tank, or the fittings to the sediment bowl?
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

do you hear an exhaust leak??? it should be very easy to detect
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
My1930ModelA

Could be crankcase vapors from the oil filler breather. I also own a 1958 car and the crankcase fumes from this pre-PCV valve and other emission controls car are really strong. Just how it was back in the day.
My1930ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #7
My1930ModelA

Model A's also dont have a road draft tube to draw out blow-by crankcase fumes. They just spew out of the oil filler cap.
My1930ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #8
fiddlybits

Floorboards are heating up. Problem area most likely by carb / exhaust.
I attached an aluminum panel with screws, using some nuts for standoffs, to the underside of the floorboards and my 'hot smell' went away.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:54 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by My1930ModelA View Post
Could be crankcase vapors from the oil filler breather. I also own a 1958 car and the crankcase fumes from this pre-PCV valve and other emission controls car are really strong. Just how it was back in the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My1930ModelA View Post
Model A's also dont have a road draft tube to draw out blow-by crankcase fumes. They just spew out of the oil filler cap.
That was my thought also. Mike's (and others) sell a oil breather http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A6764.html that directs fumes below the car and acts as a road draft tube to help vent the engine of unburned fuel and combustion byproducts and other nasty shtuff.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:59 AM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

Always difficult to solve from miles away .... all above replies very possible causes.

With windshield open, and "if" your gas tank cap is loose, rising gasoline evaporation vapors in hot weather could enter through the open windshield while traveling ........ or when stopped with engine fan blowing air out of sides of hood ..... mix this with engine blow-by out of the oil filler cap and you may have a "recipe" for a "mixed" odor.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote