Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
Razkid

Default 1930 Roadster gas tank removal and install

I'm taking the gas tank out of a friends 1930 Roadster to clean it and then reinstalling it. I have a couple of questions about the process.
1. Are the screw heads along the front edge of the tank, over the firewall, supposed to be the body color or more of a cad plated color (unfinished)? I have a 1931 Phaeton that the screw heads are unfinished. I'm going to try and run a razor blade around the heads of the screws to try and avoid chipping the paint on the tank when I remove the screws.
2. Whoever "restored" this Roadster didn't use any welting between any panels so I don't have anything to go by when installing the welting around the tank. Does anyone have a pattern of how and where to cut the welting to make it fit around the tank. I know you have to cut v's into it but are there set locations to cut these v's and is the point of the v right at the bead of the welting? I have heard to staple cloth strips to all of the edges of the welt so you can pull on them to bring the welting into place.
3. This car sat for four years with a tankful of gas that had gone bad. I drained out the gas and when I looked into the tank, the gas gauge rod was a crusty mess and stuck into position. I was told by a person at Rust911 to use Zep purple metal cleaner to get all of the varnish off of the tank before using the Rust911 to remove the rust. Has anyone else used this process?
4. After soaking the tank with the Zep I figured I should fill the tank with water and flush it out several times to get rid of as much crud as I can before using the Rust911. Does this sound like a good idea?
5. Any comments or ideas are greatly appreciated. If all else fails, is there a place near the south shore of MA that professionally cleans tanks?! Thanks in advance.
Razkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
loubob

Default Re: 1930 Roadster gas tank removal and install

www.gas-tank.com

Moyer's Gas Tank Renu

JimPrinkey-ShopManager

Excellent work!!!!
Greensburg, Pa.
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
Bob C

Here is a picture Marco posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_35282.jpg (44.5 KB, 98 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
CWPASADENA

I have used the metal cleaner that Rust 911 sells and have had EXCELLENT RESULTS.

I was going to clean a tank for a car I am restoring that had old fuel residue in it and I also thought it also may have rust under that. Because you are supposed to first remove any grease or oil before using Rust 911, I had bought a gallon of the metal cleaner concentrate they sell for this purpose. I put the gallon of cleaner in the tank and filled it up with water and let it sit for a week or so. I would rock the car once or twice a day just to try to stir up the stuff. When I drained the stuff and flushed the tank out with water, I decided to look inside to see how bad the rust was before I put in the Rust 911. I found there was no rust, just the clean tern plating inside the tank. The gas gage assembly was all bright and clean. What a surprise.

I have since done several more tanks that had old gas in them that had dried up and left a mess. In every case the tanks came out clean. Most had a very little or no rust while a few had some rust and I followed up with Rust 911.

The best part about the Rust 911 products is it will not harm the paint. If you spill a little of the cleaner or Rust 911 on the paint, just immediately wash it with water. The other best part is you do not have to remove the tank, it can be cleaned in place.

I am sure this process will not work in every case but I have had excellent results with the several tanks I have cleaned.

Give it a try.

Chris Wickersham.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 09-26-2020 at 11:07 PM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

Originally, the tanks were installed in the body when the bodies were painted, therefore, the heads of the screws that hold the tank in place were also painted.

Chris W.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #6
Razkid

Thank you for all of the replies! It's strange that the person I spoke with, from Rust 911 customer service, didn't mention any metal cleaner that they sold but told me to buy the Zep.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Bob C

Chris, is this the degreaser you used?
Rust 911 Metal kleener 2014
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 8.42.49 AM.jpg (5.9 KB, 22 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
Razkid

Below is my conversation with the customer service rep from Rust911.

I just bought a gallon of your ultra concentrate Rust911. I am going to use it to clean out a 1931 Ford gas tank. The tank had gasoline that had been in it for many years and turned to varnish. Do I need to clean the tank out with something else before using the Rust911?

Yes. Probably a caustic cleaner like ZEP (Walmart automotive section)purple metal cleaner or similar would work the best. Something with sodium or potassium hydroxide. Mix with water and slosh it in the tank till varnish comes off. Rinse with clean water several times. We don’t want the pH to change when you mix the Rust911 into it.

Once rinsed we’ll, add Rust911 at 8oz concentrate to 1-gal of water. Let sit overnight, maybe a couple of days, till rust is gone. Any problems or questions, call me at (607) 425-2882
Old 09-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #9
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Chris, is this the degreaser you used?
Rust 911 Metal kleener 2014
Yes,

That is what I use.

Sort of by accident, I used this product and the results were outstanding.

Put the whole gallon in the tank and fill it up as full as possible with water. I leave it in the tank for a week but may be that long of time is not necessary.

Chris

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 09-27-2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
Old 09-27-2020, 09:57 PM   #10
CWPASADENA

RAZKID,

May be the Rust 911 people do not know how good their Metal Kleener 2014 Concentrate works.

Chris