Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Garagekulture13

Default Tire reviews

I've looked on the Internet and here on Ford Barn without much to go off of. I'm in the market for new tires and I could not find any reviews for Model A tires or explanation of the the different materials they are made from. So I figured no better place to start one than here. I want to hear about your tire experience. Cold weather, hot weather, etc. I drive my car year around and would like to hear about you opinion on all driving conditions and your tire of choice. While shopping I see some tires are polyester and some are nylon. What's the best? I assume you pay for what you get but am unsure. Also the most important aspect which tires are the safest. My family rides with me and safety is huge factory. Reason why I'm buying new tires anyway. All of your information will be much appreciated so I/we can make the best educated decision on our next purchase of tires. Thanks guys/gals look forward to hearing what you all say.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
JimK1930A

Default Re: Tire reviews

My Firestone's have worked well for me on my 1930 Coupe.
I bought the slightly blemished black walls from Coker about 8 years ago. My tires have less that 4,000 miles on them, as I only drive 500 miles per season in Minnesota.
JimK1930A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I am running my second set of Firestone tires. I ran my first set for ten years and 20,000 miles. I have been happy with the Firestones.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

We had a tire store owner give a presentation at our club meeting a couple months ago. He brought in a 19" Goodyear radial and a 21" Firestone bias, and I was very impressed with both. Two of my A's use the 21" so that's the one I was most interested in. The 21" Firestone had a very heavy sidewall and good tread depth. I'd like to have a set for my A when the present tires wear out.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Bruce Adams

I have had no concerns in over ten thousand miles with my Goodyear Diamond tread tires. The Diamond tread and print on the sidewalls are consistent with the OEM for the car. They track and hold well in all conditions. There is no sign of wear. I understand that while the Goodyears fit the side mount, the Firestones are a bit wider at the sidewall and do not fit in the sidemount without deflation. They are somewhat expensive but their good looks and performance made them my choice, and I will buy them again when the time comes..
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
JohnLaVoy

Do you plan on driving, seriously driving your car? Not a simple around town local tour stuff. If driving is what you have in mind the Excelsior tires from Coker are worth the money. They have a 50,000 mile tread warranty. They are modern steel belted radial tires but sized for the Model A. we have them on a couple of cars, the only reason they are not on the sedan we use most of the time is they are not yet available in white walls.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Reviews . . . ? My reference points are somewhat dated. Haven't bought a new antique car tire since around 1969. Therefore, I will stick with the 40-year old ALLSTATE zig-zag pattern 6-ply baloney skins that are on that old 31' Tudor sitting out in the garage.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #8
modelAtony

I run Goodyear on my 31 tudor and have always gotten around 36-38,000 on each set . My speeds are normal on interstate 63-66 mph . Montgomery , AL to Lafayette, LA 2 years ago running 66-70 mph when in low traffic. I have always had great mileage with ww 19' goodyears. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #9
29spcoupe

I have 21" Lesters on my coupe. They ride smoother than the Firestone. I have only 1600 miles on them so I cant say how long they will last. So far, I am very pleased with them.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

If you can afford GoodYears you can't go wrong. Contrary to your search I find the site full of reviews concerning Model A tires. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #11
2manycars

My firestones lasted about 10,000 miles, and I replaced them a few years ago with Lester tires. I really like the Lesters. Very quiet, good handling, very nice ride, and I like the appearance.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
My firestones lasted about 10,000 miles, and I replaced them a few years ago with Lester tires. I really like the Lesters. Very quiet, good handling, very nice ride, and I like the appearance.
.......... And cheap! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #13
Russ/40

How about the cheep Lucas bias plys from Vietnam? $99 Any feedback on those? Surely someone has run them.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #14
My1930ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
How about the cheep Lucas bias plys from Vietnam? $99 Any feedback on those? Surely someone has run them.
I put them on my 30 Town Sedan last year, they ride and handle fine in my opinion, and look nice too.
My1930ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #15
Garagekulture13

Quote:
Yea I was wondering about these myself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
I've worn out a set of those (and a number of other brands) and think they are fine for those who just go for a potter around town now and then. If you REALLY want to drive, there are better. Lucas tend to wander a little and roll on the rims IMHO. You get what you pay for and what's good enough for you depends on how much you drive and how. We're going on a rally soon where most of the other cars don't have an O/D. I'll use what's left of the tread on my Lucas tyres for that one.
I have enough tyres to keep the rims off the ground for quite a while yet but I think I might give the new radials a try when I need more.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I had very poor luck with by firestones, lasted only a few thousand miles, evenly worn front to back left and right.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #18
goodoldvic

x2 what Mr. Mike V. typed
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

X3 ,,,I like the goodyears correctness and wear... Plus the painted flag

Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #20
mshmodela

Lucy is surely a beauty...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote