Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #21
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: New Shop is coming along.

haha he is retired he will be out there a lot, especially with a shop that nice.....
and you'd be surprised how quickly a modern scroll AC compressor can pull down a space....
Old 12-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #22
My1930ModelA

Hi Wick, congratulations on your recent retirement and new garage project! I built my 40x56 hobby garage with lift 5 years ago, and would like to offer a few suggestions regarding the lift purchase: First take the time to do plenty of research on lift types and manufacturers. You will find that with very few exceptions, lifts are manufactured offshore now. Don''t let this discourage you, the most important consideration is to buy a lift that is ALI certified. For primarily auto lifting duty versus pickup trucks, I would suggest an asymmetrical lift as it makes entry/exit from the car much easier. If you have the width in your bay, choose the wide configuration lift as this also makes entry/exit much easier. Finally on the installation, unless you are very well equipped to assemble and install the lift, I would suggest professional installation and setup/adjustment. This is in my opinion well worth the cost to help insure a safe reliable installation.
My lift is a Bend Pak 10,000 lb capacity asymmetrical and it has been flawless, lifting everything from my 1930 town sedan to my C6 Corvette. Good luck with your new shop! I know you'll enjoy it.

Mark
My1930ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:33 AM   #23
Dodge

My vote is for a Mohawk. I have been in several shops and used most of the brands
American and Chinese. I own a Mohawk and would say it's the best of the lot I have had
it for 15yrs. and never had a problem.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:23 AM   #24
My1930ModelA

Without a doubt Mohawk is the best if price is of no consideration, but he certainly doesn't need a Mohawk for hobby car work. Most dealerships and independents don't even put that kind of investment into lifts.
My1930ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #25
slackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
If you want a 2 post lift, get one with the equalizer cables overhead, so the floor is uncluttered. My lift has the cables under a panel that sits on the floor, and while it is no trouble to drive over it, the 2 inch rise makes it impossible to use a transmission jack. Don't buy a cheap forign one, get a good one.

I'd second that. Our lift has them over head and a joy to use.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #26
Cockshutt Kid

If at all possible, it really helps keeping things clean if parts and seldom used tools can be in a separate room and if benches and stuff can be wall mounted. Ease of passing a floor broom goes a long way towards fire safety. noisy equipment, such as the air compressor are real nice in another area as well. Great shop, but I bet it will be too small within a short time.
Cockshutt Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #27
Wick

There is a 7' door on the side leading into a enclosed 18x22 shed. This will get a floor in the future. Will be a parts room/a place to powder coat and paint. The floor will be painted tan,walls white. 4 fans in the ceiling. Each car will have it's own stall with overhead storage for parts for that car. I can install my own lift,at Dupont I was a millwright and did alot of Laser alignment installing pumps,motors,equipment etc.
I will buy a certified lift,the Mohawk would be over kill but I will have a Dodge 2500 diesel on the lift a time or two.

My home is a 3 car garage with a apartment above. The Bicycle collection will go in that garage. I will run out of room here.
Retired for almost 4 months and have not had a day off yet!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

Running out of room was my first thought also. It seems to go right along with restoring a car. You take your best estimate for the time and cost involved, then double it. You always need to double your storage estimates also.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #29
RCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Retired for almost 4 months and have not had a day off yet!
That's what its all about, having time for your own after a lifetime of work.
Keep it up a thanks for those measures.
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #30
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The larger the shop the more space gets tied up with junk... A smaller shop seems to stay more tidy.... Does that make sense? not sure
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote