Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #1

Default Cross Shaft Bearings.

I note with interest that the cross shaft brass bearings have no external means of lubrication. When I dismantled the brake system one of the cross shafts had a step in the end which I repaired by mig welding and slowly turning the shaft back to size, and the other, hand/emergency was repaired with a repair kit from Macs. My question to all you guru's is how to maintain some sort of lubrication to again stop excessive wear.
While on the subject lubrication, the distributor I rebuilt has a hole on the edge of the groove on the lower section which fits into the head. There is a corresponding hole in the drive shaft but not all the way through. In the rebuild I drilled the new shaft in the same place and depth. I am assuming this is to assist with the oiling of the lower distributor bearing, although the oiler on the side feeds the chamber between the upper and lower bearings. Any one have a similar unit.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
28ACoupe

Default Re: Cross Shaft Bearings.

I saw a thread on here not too long ago that talked about drilling a hole and setting up a zerk fitting so it could be greased. This seemed like a good idea to me.

Sadly, I don't remember the specifics, but I bet a bit of thought could find a solution.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Fill the oil cup on the side of the distributor every 500 to 1000 miles and you distributor bushings should do fine.

For the brakes cross shaft I would squirt oil on the bushings each time the car gets an oil change and grease job. The same with the brake and clutch pedals that don't come with grease fittings.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

For 30-31 cars the original brake cross shaft bushings never needed lubrication. They have a graphite impregnated material. They also can be a little loose.

The addition of a grease fitting will not allow the ball shape to do its job. It prevents the shaft from binding as the frame flexes. You are best to use original bushings that are snug or the repros built like original.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote