Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
rivcokid

Default Slamming into first gear

Since i bought my roadster almost 2 years ago, I've had some intermittent problems going from neutral to first at a stop. Usually, i just move the car a bit and no problem. I had a local chop do a lube job and change the fluids a couple of weeks ago, and the put in some pretty thin oil into the transmission. It seemed like the gears would not stop spinning and it was difficult to shift from neutral to first without grinding/slamming. So, I got some Lubriplate SPO-288 as recommended on the MAFCA site and replaced the oil - it's nice and thick. However, it only made the slamming/gear spinning seem to lessen a bit, but it is by no means gone away. So, is there some adjustment that can be done to the transmission? I really hate to drive it in this condition because I don't want to kill the transmission. Thanks as always in advance!!
rivcokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: Slamming into first gear

Where does your clutch engage off the floor?
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
Bruce_MO

As a kid, I was told to put a half pint of STP in the transmission, and I've always done it. I think there are folks who use a LOT of STP.

So I always use what Bratton's sells as 600W plus a half bottle of STP and I have minimal issues getting into 1st. Good luck
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
rivcokid

Well, not too far but I'm not experienced to know if it's good or bad where it engages. I don't have problems with it or getting it to go.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Try double clutching..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
rivcokid

I've done nothing but double clutch the entire time I've owned the car! Now, when I stop, it grinds and slams into gear - that's the issue here.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
ryanheacox

I ask because my first thought was maybe the clutch isn’t disengaging all the way.

How is the idle speed?
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
Mike Peters

Your clutch may not be fully releasing when you hold it to the floor.
1. Is your clutch release arm starting to fail.? Inspect for cracks. Common problem.
2. Clutch arm yoke/trunion nut out of adjustment? May need to be adjusted shorter. Connects clutch pedal to clutch arm at the side of bell housing. You only need about 1" of pedal free play.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #9
Patrick L.

If I remember correctly that oil is a 250 weight. It should be fine.

The question of where the clutch engages is a good one, and, my question too. How far from the floor does the clutch engage/disengage ? It should at about 3-5", or half way between floor and the end of the pedal free-play. The pedal free-play should be about 1.5"

If sitting running with the clutch pedal up and transmission in neutral. When pushing the pedal it takes a couple seconds to ba able to shift into first gear. It also helps to shift into 2nd or 3rd and then right into first.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #10
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivcokid View Post
I've done nothing but double clutch the entire time I've owned the car! Now, when I stop, it grinds and slams into gear - that's the issue here.
Easy there,just trying to help.how much free play does your clutch have?
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #11
Benson

PM sent to 20500

Last edited by Benson; 07-31-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #12
Mulletwagon

Might pull the clutch inspection cover and observe if the disk stops spinning when the pedai is depressed. In addition to what has already been said, could be a bad pilot bearing which is dragging the input shaft. When not moving suggest downshifting from second to neutral, wait momentarily with pedal still depressed and then ease into first. If still grinding the problem is the flywheel, pressure plate, or pilot bearing is causing the disk to rotate. Another possibility is the disk is hanging up on the input shat spline and leaving the disk in contact with the flywheel. Be sure and tell us the fix.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #13
Big hammer

No problems shifting into second or third ? You always double clutch, does your engine have a nice slow idle ? If my idle is just 100 rpms higher it will grind gears!
Old 07-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #14
Synchro909

Don't use STP. It foams.
Never take your Model A to a dealer for anything. They know nothing about them. A couple of years ago, I bought a 1930 CCPU out of Arizona. The seller had taken it to the local Ford dealer for service and other works. What a disaster!. They had relined the brakes and they were so far out of adjustment that they were dangerous. They had replaced the ring gear (on the flywheel) but the put it on backwards. Clueless. They greased some of the fittings but not all and they put the mileage for the next oil change 3,000 mile sdon the road. How stupid can you get - the car has no oil filter!
I could go on and on about their incompetence.
Back to the OP.
If the gearbox has been filled with a low viscosity oil, replace it with the proper oil and I think you'll find all will be well but after you press the clutch pedal down, pause for a moment before engaging 1st gear.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #15
Chuck Sea/Tac

You never stated your idle speed. There’s a difference between advanced and retarded idle speed also.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #16
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
You never stated your idle speed. There’s a difference between advanced and retarded idle speed also.
I agree with Chuck. It’s easy to forget to retard the idle after the engine warms up.

I also like to gently push the gearshift down so you can feel when it’s ready to go into first gear rather than trying to slam it into first. Had the same problem with an early 356 pre-A Porsche that had square cut gears.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #17
Chris in WNC

Synchro99- I bought a Model A in 1990 from a middle-aged lady whose husband had no interest in cars. So she had it serviced by the Exxon dealer down the street. It only had brake rods on three wheels......

Taking the advice of the late Roger Kauffman, who was MARC technical advisor for years, I always run straight STP in transmission, differential and steering box. No problems.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #18
rivcokid

Ok - looks like I have a few things to check/play with. First, the place I took it to is a garage here in town that only works on vintage autos - anything American from 1900 - 1970. They've been in business since the 1930s! That said, the oil was still pretty thin.

I'll check the other things this morning and get back. I've not paid that much attention to the clutch pedal, so today I will! Thanks everyone!!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #19
jimvette59

I think you should have flush the transmission to get the thinner oil out. You can't get all of the thinner oil out by just draining it. Take the shifter off and flush with Kerosene. JMHO
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #20
37 Coupe

I just recently went through this but my shifting problems was grinding into second and third gears. I posted about this a couple months ago and someon suggested a heavier lubricant to slow the gears down to make gear mesh easier.Meropa heavy transmission oil was suggested instead of the "600" thin foamy crap that I had put in bought from usual vendors. I had left tower off for a week and it was still foam. The Meropa I finally got just last week and it works,that and teaaaching myself to shift into second t about 5-8mph, tough to do.