Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Rust inside trunk lid

I am getting ready to paint my special coupe and I have a question about the trunk lid. I started final wet sanding the various parts and when I got to the inside of the trunk lid I wet sanded it outside and inside. What happened was the water got inside the big holes (see picture) and caused surface rust on the inside of the outside panel. I didn't use an air hose to dry it out before it could start rusting. Next time (if there is a next time) I will use an air hose to dry the water before it forms surface rust. Anyway, it started me thinking that maybe I should try to put some liquid in the big holes and tilt the lid around to coat the inside of the outer panel of the lid - like POR or something like it. It is very hard to try to spray inside the big holes as it would probably cause big time runs and sags and still probably wouldn't cover most of the inside surface. Has anyone had this same problem and figured out a good way to keep at least the inside of the outside panel from rusting. I know the inside of the inside panel probably can't be coated easily, but at least I could maybe take care of the part that is visable. Any help would be appreciated.

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Ray64

Default Re: Rust inside trunk lid

Probably could get it done at a rustproofer at a reasonable cost.I would think maybe around 20 dollars
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
d.j. moordigian

Default Re: Rust inside trunk lid

Sir...What is a " rustproofer ", how does it work?

Thanks
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote