Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
1930.68B

Default Rainmaker ron

The estate auction for RAINMAKER RON CLOAT is scheduled for April 7 in Peoria, IL. The link below is to Tim Placher Auctions web site for a listing of the sale items.
http://timplacherauctions.com/
1930.68B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
Great Lakes Greg

Default Re: Rainmaker ron

It is always sad to me when somebody's life long efforts are scattered to the wind in a matter of hours.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
Jeff/Illinois

Do you know if they are selling the '35 (or was it a '36) Ford pickup Ron had? Or did the family keep it?
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Bulligen

I feel the same way, Maybe we should try to anticipate somewhat if we can and start selling our prizes so we can see who they are going to ! Unless of course there are family and friends that inherit our stuff and will continue to have fun with it. I am sure it is the same with all hobbies!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg View Post
It is always sad to me when somebody's life long efforts are scattered to the wind in a matter of hours.
Worse is when what is left is brought to the dump.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
I feel the same way, Maybe we should try to anticipate somewhat if we can and start selling our prizes so we can see who they are going to ! Unless of course there are family and friends that inherit our stuff and will continue to have fun with it. I am sure it is the same with all hobbies!
Or even organize lots as if you were setting up an auction, as most auctioneers would not know one part from another and you would have a better chance of your family getting more from the auction and fewer parts in the trash. What looks like trash to the auctioneer may be an easy restoration.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
old car guy

Never got the meet the man . But did get to know him thru the posts he made. Sad but it’s what ii coming to all of us. I have a great friend and he has collected for over fifty years and he has decided to start liquidation of his collections. I have talked to him about it for quite awhile and he’s decided now is the time to start letting go.
It’s hard to let you stuff go but it’s better than leaving it for the family or the scrapper. Either way it’s got to be gone thru . After you think about it for awhile you have to wonder why we all put ourselves thru the motions of collecting sorting etc in the end we rarely have a say where it going.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
jimalabam

I do have a plan. Since no one in my family has an inkling or a desire to keep anything I have collected, I do have three close old car friends who are instructed to come over at my demise, take anything they wish, then help my family sell or give away the remainder. WE are talking about many years research of Ford Assembly Plant data/Ford literature/Ford misc/Pontiac history/Pontiac History unpublished manuscript which I authored, much Model this and a barn full of this and that. Yes, I will not be aware, but I have the present knowledge that this will happen, a good feeling...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Just be aware that when a family member dies, the gloves come off and greed takes over. I've seen it happen many times, and the lawyers are the winners.

Make a trust and leave it to museums or anyone you like, but don't count on a will, as a will most times is disputed in court.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
vulture

Sad to hear about Ron and hope all his treasures find great homes. At auction time the treasures that will be bought and find new homes. Some will be used on new projects and other will find dust and darkness in another collection. What's great is some of the parts will find there way to future generations and so on.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #11
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Do you know if they are selling the '35 (or was it a '36) Ford pickup Ron had? Or did the family keep it?
I believe it was a 36 - green. He sold that at least 5 maybe 8 years ago.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #12
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
I believe it was a 36 - green. He sold that at least 5 maybe 8 years ago.
Hi SeaSlugs you are right, just got a PM from someone who told me it was sold.

It is hard to find a GOOD '35 or ''36 Ford pickup most are junk or cobbled up beyond street rodder's belief.

Most antique car gurus will tell you that, about ANY Pre-War pickup that is in ORIGINAL condition not chopped all to heck, are really taking off in value. People like them. Good solid original Ford-Chevy-Dodge pickups from the '30's are getting pretty hard to find.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Just be aware that when a family member dies, the gloves come off and greed takes over. I've seen it happen many times, and the lawyers are the winners.
Heed Master Tom's warning here, he speaketh the truth and nothing but the truth so help us God