Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
IndianapolisRacer

Default 1941 Ford pickup rear spring

My 1941 Ford P/u has a 9 leaf rear spring and sits too high in rear end . Perhaps its a heavy overload rear spring if they made such a thing but I don't carry any heavy loads in the pickup , don't want to scratch the paint ! Anyway from the top of rear tire to the rolled lip on the fender is about 5 inches and I want to lower it 3 to 4 inches . Can I remove 3 or 4 rear spring leaves or do I need a new rear spring from some company like Posies ?
IndianapolisRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1941 Ford pickup rear spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianapolisRacer View Post
My 1941 Ford P/u has a 9 leaf rear spring and sits too high in rear end . Perhaps its a heavy overload rear spring if they made such a thing but I don't carry any heavy loads in the pickup , don't want to scratch the paint ! Anyway from the top of rear tire to the rolled lip on the fender is about 5 inches and I want to lower it 3 to 4 inches . Can I remove 3 or 4 rear spring leaves or do I need a new rear spring from some company like Posies ?

Indy Racer.....Just so that you can see that your truck is a "normal" factory issue, I've included two picture of Kube's recent 1940 (same as '41) pick-up restoration, and if you know anything about Kube's '40 restorations, they are excruciatingly-authentic, and Mike always uses factory NOS springs in his restos. As you can see, this truck exhibits tire clearances of what appear to be about 5-6" or so. And yes, it has been common practice for just shy of a century now to remove leafs from a spring to lower a vehicle. Some experimentation as to which leaves to remove may be necessary. DD

…….

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
IndianapolisRacer

Thanks for that , yes my 41 sits exactly like the 40 in the photos , I am leaning towards removing some rear leaves to get it down in back ,don't think it will effect the handling if I do remove some .
Old 05-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #4
IndianapolisRacer

By the way that 40 pickup is beautiful
Old 05-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
By the way that 40 pickup is beautiful

If you'd like to follow Mike's restoration of this truck from start to finish, click on the link below! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...be+1940+pickup

…………...

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #6
IndianapolisRacer

Thankyou does he build for customers or for his own collection , what would a restoration like this go for ? Thanks Mike B
Old 05-17-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Thankyou does he build for customers or for his own collection , what would a restoration like this go for ? Thanks Mike B

I've heard Kube mention "clients" in the past. The old adage "If ya have to ask...." comes to mind with your question about COST. Why don't you PM "Kube" and discuss it with him. It seems that he is about as friendly as they come! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
Tinker

Okay, I'll throw this out. On the rear and you want to lower it "some". Removing springs might not be as good as some drop shackle bars. My 38 had 12 leafs and another 6 under neath. so a couple will not hurt either but won't lower it much. Also removing springs will make it spongy. The stock rides higher in the back because they were expected to carry loads. Some do still. It'll settle as they wear.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-17-2020 at 11:08 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

In spite of what some think, I would NOT install "dropped shackle bars" which will induce swaying of the rear of the truck! Why don't you PM the owner of this pictured truck which is for sale and ask him for details on his rear spring. Click the link below for HIS details and contact info! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249160

…………...

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
Tinker

Your going to see little trouble from some bars in the rear. It's not a Indy car. Wouldn't for the front end ever.

I have a reverse eye posie super side and 2" drops. No issue. Two things that are not stock on my 38, mitchel od and a posie rear spring/shackes (oh 3 things, I hopped a yr and added juice brakes. still have everything to go back). Both a bolt back. If you are looking for stock only then the reverse eye posie won't do it. If you want to level it out, well. Removing leaves isn't the way to go.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-17-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #11
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
In spite of what some think, I would NOT install "dropped shackle bars" which will induce swaying of the rear of the truck! Why don't you PM the owner of this pictured truck which is for sale and ask him for details on his rear spring. Click the link below for HIS details and contact info! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249160

…………...

Very nice truck!
Old 05-17-2020, 11:05 PM   #12
TomT/Williamsburg

That black 40 is my friend Chuck here on the Fordbarn. As far as leaf removal is concerned, I have always retained the top most leaf as a rule, and removed all the subsequent leaves leaving 4-5. To soften things further, I have used Teflon liner between the remaining leaves for ease of movement between the remaining leaves. Chuck’s truck is running 15” rims and tires which you also need to factor in for that look. I doubt you will he carrying anything like the loads these trucks were originally dedicated fined for .....

My cars are not restorations but more hot rods so also figure that into how I do things .... one thing I do know - whatever leaves remain must be sequential, meaning in the order they came out n their stock configuration) so as not to compromise how they function. Early on I found this out the hard way! Lol!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:13 PM   #13
Tinker

My vehicles are stockers with a little bit more. I run my 36 basically stock outside some rear drop bars and hydro brakes. How i got it (sometimes they give me more trouble then I want over mechanical brakes)

I'll just be the odd man out. Drop rear shackles will not effect your performance on a basic hopped up flathead motor. Pretty much old school stuff. 2" Vern drops have been available since the 50s.

Question is how low do you want to go... look at reworking or a different spring set.

Look at the same yr or earlier car spring. Trucks were made to haul. They used the same rear end.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-18-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #14
flatheadmurre

Here goes my 2c...
Removing leafs can be done with the load you will carry in mind...OP says he΄s not going to use the bed of the truck so we can assume it will be just hauling passengers.
So in this case i would remove every other leaf keep the main remove every other preferably keep the last.
You will need to adress the mounting to the frame...keeping original you may need to add a spacer.
Keeping friction down between the leafs is what really makes the ride smooth...so while at it paint the leafs with lubriplate or some other friction reducing stuff.
Drop shackles might be a fast way but in not a big fan of them.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:44 PM   #15
Tinker

I don't do anything fast or change things and leave them alone if they don't work. I'll change it. If you are trying to drop a stock truck, you will have to remove a lot of leaves. Why I went with a super slide. Could probably take it to a shop and have it re-ached too. Either way it's to many leaves for most of us.

I respect you Murre. I personally don't have an issue with drop shackles in the rear only. Early fords traverse springs want/need tension. It should be 45 degrees on standard shackles. 2" drops is like 30 degrees. Same amount of effort to change them. Agree It's not a one size fits all either.

Guys run sbc in fords with 5" shackles and cut bump stocks. Somehow they got there. Not my thing.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-18-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:19 AM   #16
V8COOPMAN

I'm off to take a couple of aspirin! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-18-2020, 12:32 AM   #17
Tinker

Neat. Hope you feel better.

Been down this road a couple times. 38-41 still the same thing...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140197

Last edited by Tinker; 05-18-2020 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #18
IndianapolisRacer

Thanks to all for great advice , makes Ford Barn a worthwhile site for sure ! Mike Bauman
Old 05-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #19
IndianapolisRacer

Thanks for the pics and advice , glad you replied ! Mike B
Old 05-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #20
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Very nice truck!
This one has 2 or 3 leaves removed. I had to make spacer leaves so the U bolts would clamp the spring to the crossmember. The spacers are under the spring. Otherwise the truck would hold the lean after making a turn. One of those things the previous owner didn’t address.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote