Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #41
Ron Pilger

Default Re: New 36 Ford Owner!

johnnyford, come on back....we need to hear from YOU! In YOUR post you asked Fordbarners what they thought of your new purchase. In retrospect that may have been a question you would rather not asked. The varied answers, not all entirely friendly, are testament to that. Were you simply planting a loaded question, then prepared to sit back and watch the cock-fight from the stands? Were you hoping for encouragement, advice based on the voices of experience, and positive vibes? After all, a highly desirable year and body style has clearly fallen into your life? Or, were you hoping to pick the brains of individuals with one to nine decades of car experience on how to best plan and implement your style of build. For what it's worth, I don't hot rod, street rod, or run down anyone's choice in tastes. I just like Henry's vision and what he was able to create. Many years ago i decided it was right for me (and easier for me) to restore rather than customize or fabricate. I have, however, been known to study and praise "the other side" at shows and events. Now remind us, please, of what your personal vision is for this grand old ride and if it's changed as a result of what you've learned thus far.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #42
Tinker

I think this thread is best buried in the hole it's been digging. SBC, MII, and bags. Have little place here. Best of luck!

This is a restoration site by nature. Agree or disagree, it is a fact.

Are there a lot of "hotrodders" here yep. Great, I don't mind personally in reason. Really without the hotrod and racing history/pedigree of the flathead very few would spend $5k rebuilding it.

I'm probably not as old as some or most folks here, but I slide into the preservation crowd. My last club was a prewar roadster/coupe club, sooo there is that. But I usually had a hub puller or a spring spreader handy.

Very few people I know anymore are interested in restoring a model T let alone a a later car. There are some but it's rare. You either get it and want to drive a 30's car/truck as built... or you don't. More important you would need to have enough passion to do that for more then a couple yr or more. .

So in conclusion . Restorers are a rare breed. Maybe only the wealthy collector will be the only ones doing it in the future. Hope not. My 2cents, and I probably shorted you a dime.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-09-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:07 AM   #43
johnnyford

Wow just read all your reply's since i posted this.
I never Owned anything older than a 1955 chevy before modtky 70 stuff 442's,camaro's corvettes etc.. So googled 36 ford forum. Found this site and the hotrodders forum is that HAMB? Anyway just thought i would find a ford forum to share. I didn't think id get that kind of welcome. some good some let's say different.
I belong to an "A body Forum" , "b body forum" mopar stuff.
an oldsmobile forum a corvette forum, and a few others. whether i was into stock or not people welcome me. I have always met great people on those sites.
that being Said the welcome here not so much by some. Geez does it really matter if somebody does something different to a car other than restore to factory spec.
My god they are 80 years old and need some updates. by the way i didnt relize if this place is just for stock stuff. I never heard that before on a forum.
So enough of that.
Plans for the 36 get it together and sell it as fast as i can if i have to take abuse like this "LOL just kidding"
Needed somthing as a filler until i find a 1970 GTX or Roadrunner
found this beauty on CL locally in town a 15 years project for this guy named Mark.
Mark did alot of work. bought the car as a stripped roller 36 then started his vision.
15 years later had i hard time getting the doors to shut and said the fenders didnt fit.
Well first night i got a fender on and the doors shut it was a combo of wind lace and new weather stripping issues. The fenders i found not that easy to do but i did it.
He had the P/S lines crossed also another issue because he didnt have the steering wheel on when i went to look at it, because i think he was hiding the fact the steering had a mind of its own until i switched the lines in the first 5 minutes i owed it. problem solved.
wired up tail lights head lights, park lights, mounted seat tracks bleed the brakes.
put temp exhaust on so i could run it quietly. now its a runner. bought thursday not even a week ago. Plans are to change wheels to steel wheels maybe white walls and possibly finish the yellow he started not looking to get upside down. just enjoy and move on to the gtx roadrunner but since i giot this buggy i kind of like it.
very popular body style. ok guys fire away. wait more pics!
Johnny out!!! oh im 54!

Last edited by johnnyford; 05-10-2018 at 01:23 AM.
johnnyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:24 AM   #44
ford nut

hey! welcome to the barn! can you take a punch? I know you shouldn't have to, how are you at ignoring people / things? anyway, welcome from so-cal.
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #45
johnnyford

thanks kurt!
Old 05-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #46
Mart

Ok, Johnny, you survived the baptism of fire and bounced back. Good for you. You've made great progress, keep us updated, moreso on the stuff that's generic for both stock or rodded, sheetmetal, door fitment, grille alignment, we've all had fun with that stuff. Good Luck.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #47
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Yep, you seem to have street rod down. 3x2 on a flathead can be called a Hot Rod, droped axle, big/little tires, etc. It can go much futher, but to me 40s and 50s type mods. Rock, you must be a young guy if those type of mods were going on when you were growing up!
As stated in post #30 JSeery......53!! Raised starting in 1966 in our 37 Woodie going to car club meetings and car shows. Been a STOCK Ford guy with my Dad from Model A's to just about every Ford product and several Lincoln's and Mercury's as well!!! Mustangs, Edsel's, T-Bird's, Galaxy's WWII Jeeps (Ford's only-well 90%). EFV8's are now tops with 1 Model A and a 55 T-Bird left. OH forgot 2ea 1941 Ford GP's

Last edited by rockfla; 05-10-2018 at 07:37 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #48
Henry Floored

Johnny truly a heartfelt welcome to this forum. I hope you get all the answers you’ll need along the way.

Since you’re a Mopar guy and looking for that GTX, imagine if you found one and joined a Mopar board and the completely democratic Mopar enthusiasts realized you were going to go with an LS motor just to get her on the road quicker.

I think those guys would howl louder than anyone in here. In fact there is a strong contingent of pro-GM engine guys in here FYI.

In the end it’s your car and I think it rocks even though I wouldn’t even use a sbc as a doorstop in my shop. That’s just me I’m a bitter old codger.

Enjoy that ‘36, it’s arguably the most beautiful of all the early “Ford V8” body styles.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #49
outlaw

Welcome to the barn. I like em all ways stock or modified! I would rather see someone build a classic car their way & keep it alive & on the road than rust away & be unsalvageable. I am more into the old school hot rod version & I subscribe both here & on the HAMB. Good luck with your car. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #50
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Welcome to the barn. I like em all ways stock or modified! I would rather see someone build a classic car their way & keep it alive & on the road than rust away & be unsalvageable. I am more into the old school hot rod version & I subscribe both here & on the HAMB. Good luck with your car. Bill
Perfect!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:18 AM   #51
johnnyford

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #52
johnnyford

Anyone know the best place to buy a quality rear bumper?
are they the same front and back?
Thanks cJohnny!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #53
RKS.PA

Johnny, I'd start with Bob Drake Ford reproductions. I've had good luck with the trim parts I've needed. In some cases, they make their own stuff here in the USA. Check out their website. Also, check Dennis Carpenter. I'm sure others will chime in here.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #54
RKS.PA

Okay, I checked and Drake sells both a steel chrome plated and a stainless steel bumper for the '36. As often happens with them the steel bumper is "out of stock"!! Not sure what your timing is, but this gets you started!!!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #55
johnnyford

Thanks i saw the same.
$510 for stainless is it that much better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Okay, I checked and Drake sells both a steel chrome plated and a stainless steel bumper for the '36. As often happens with them the steel bumper is "out of stock"!! Not sure what your timing is, but this gets you started!!!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #56
RKS.PA

Johnny, that really is up to you!!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #57
TJ

Go to a couple of swap meets and look for some stock bumpers. Originals are spring steel and you may find some already chromed for less than the Drake stainless steel ones.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #58
blucar

I have found that most of the aftermarket bumpers are not as good of quality as the originals..
I have a couple of very good original bumpers, they need to be re-chromed. I'll sell one of them for $100. plus shipping.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #59
40cpe

My experience with repop chrome bumpers has not been good. I've had them start peeling in a couple of years and rust specs coming through. If you plan to keep the car more than a few years, stainless might pay off. But I haven't had any experience with stainless so they might have their faults, too.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #60
ford nut

chrome can/will rust, stainless won't. stainless can have a yellowish hue to it when held next to chrome. originals are the toughest and will hold their shape better. re-chroming cost lots of $$$ and is not as durable as chrome from the past.
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote