Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #21
Hoop

Default Re: New 36 Ford Owner!

Hey Rock,

Have you heard what they're doing to the Boy Scouts?

( ... bet he'll really be pissed.)
Old 05-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #22
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Hey Rock,

Have you heard what they're doing to the Boy Scouts?

( ... bet he'll really be pissed.)
Sorry Hoop, I have already dismounted my "High Horse"!!! "Ce Cera Cera"!! I needed a good laugh today, thanks hoop!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #23
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
A couple of you guys don't have a clue what the H.A.M.B. is about. It is NOT about " bellybutton" Chevy small blocks, nor is it about cheesy, cheap-ass, fake mag wheels. Electric fans need not apply, either. DD
Funny.. that is exactly how I see the hamb.. how to build anything goes, non-stock cars..

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #24
ford nut

I think jonnyford is gone. he doesn't want any part of this witch hunt. he just bought a car someone else started. then he showed me his middle finger. kidding.
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #25
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Copper 47 View Post
Funny.. that is exactly how I see the hamb.. how to build anything goes, non-stock cars..
===============================================

That is Exactly what the HAMB is...NOT

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #26
Terranova

And then you guys wonder why younger people don't get involved.

You grumpy, inflexable, curmudgeons run them all off.

I get that it's the "Ford barn" and you all have "OEM" tattooed on your chest over your hearts, but good god, you didn't even let the guy unpack his project and get past three, THREE POSTS, before you unzipped and pissed ALL OVER HIS CHERRIOS.

Why is the activity suffering a lack of young blood? Look in the mirror and make sure it's not you.
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #27
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova View Post

I get that it's the "Ford barn" and you all have "OEM" tattooed on your chest over your hearts, but good god, you didn't even let the guy unpack his project and get past three, THREE POSTS, before you unzipped and pissed ALL OVER HIS CHERRIOS.

Why is the activity suffering a lack of young blood? Look in the mirror and make sure it's not you.
==============================================

What he said,,,X2

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #28
Tinker

Seriously though... it is "supposed" to be a restoration site. Most times it's not. I have tattoos but none that say OEM. Next one for sure. Nice 36, enjoy it as people have said. You done well. I'm sure when you have paint questions you will have help.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #29
Hoop

???

Last edited by Hoop; 05-15-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #30
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova View Post

AND Lanny
I'm 53 years old (Probably younger than most on here) and I can tell you from my experience and friendships of same age and younger, the hobby is dying because of car (and guys) like started this whole post and because guys like who started this post and you that think it "Cool" and think it's "Bitchin" to butcher and ruin a perfectly good old Ford and younger kids go to car shows (Like I did) that accepted Hot Rods at shows (For the $$$$) and the "go along to get along mentality" and kids see that this is "Acceptable" and or "The way things are"! I would bet that the original poster here has NEVER ridden or driven an original 36 with a flathead? Starting in 1966 I grew up in the back seat of our 37 Station Wagon, I learned a love for the sound, the smell, the creaks of the wood body, the smiles on the faces of people that would see the car at shows and appreciate the way things used to be. At first (Late 60"s) there were none, then (early 70's) (and fortunately I had a dad who taught my brother and me that Hot Rods are "Crap" (My feelings may not be quite as descriptive)) there were only a few Hot Rodder's that showed up at all the great Old shows, they had their own separate shows and rarely did they cross. But as time moved on (Mid 80's) more and more hot rods showed and less and less stocker's came because of it and the hod rod crowd took over (Like the Great AACA Ormond Beach Car show-Now it's "Turkey Rod Run"). Then its guys like you that (in an opposite manner) are just as "critical" of guys like me (and ultimately sites like this) for our adherence to keeping things as "original" as possible. I think this site does a great job and is quite flexible when it comes to originality/modified and still stays "true" to the flathead Ford and keeping them running and showing!!!!! AS stated clearly, the poster's enthusiasm is commendable and hope his project goes and is all he hopes it to be.....BUT the end product is NOT what this site is about....Yes he will find help and advice on here, "Especially IF" he intends on moving more to "the stock" side of the hobby.....BUT just as a hod rod site would not be for a guy wanting to or keeping his car original (and would most likely get directions to this site) this site is for a more "original" canvas!!!! Again, Not criticizing his car but letting him know that this site is "really" for more of the "Original" side of the hobby and I don't see where I or anyone else had "pissed on his Cheerio's!!!!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 AM   #31
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Not sure everyone would agree with your definition and use of the term Hot Rod. To me and I'm sure at least a few others, the term Hot Rod is something completely different from a Street Rod.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #32
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Not sure everyone would agree with your definition and use of the term Hot Rod. To me and I'm sure at least a few others, the term Hot Rod is something completely different from a Street Rod.
JSeery
I'm not sure I could tell you the difference.....with that said (and possibly my own ignorance) I would lump them both together as MY Definition of "Hot Rod" (as referred to growing up) is boxed frame, mustang II front end, 350 Chevy, Turbo 400 trans, Ford 9" out back, tilt steering column, electric windows purple metal flake paint job etc etc etc!!!! That's my definition. Right or wrong I'm not sure!!!! And sorry IF i confused the two!!!
Old 05-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #33
outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
JSeery
I'm not sure I could tell you the difference.....with that said (and possibly my own ignorance) I would lump them both together as MY Definition of "Hot Rod" (as referred to growing up) is boxed frame, mustang II front end, 350 Chevy, Turbo 400 trans, Ford 9" out back, tilt steering column, electric windows purple metal flake paint job etc etc etc!!!! That's my definition. Right or wrong I'm not sure!!!! And sorry IF i confused the two!!!
FYI, You just described a classic "street rod" NOT the typical hot rod. Just sayn.
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #34
dwick01

Yep, what outlaw said.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #35
ford nut

how much would i have to lengthen my 34 coupe body to fit a 98 Silverado chassis? I want it to be a ford now.
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #36
Ford Freak

Mustang II front suspension = " street rod " .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #37
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yep, you seem to have street rod down. 3x2 on a flathead can be called a Hot Rod, droped axle, big/little tires, etc. It can go much futher, but to me 40s and 50s type mods. Rock, you must be a young guy if those type of mods were going on when you were growing up!

Last edited by JSeery; 05-09-2018 at 01:42 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #38
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
"And then you guys wonder why younger people don't get involved.

You grumpy, inflexable, curmudgeons run them all off."

Yep. That's what I've always said about the Boy Scouts. You wonder why more girls never got involved in camping/scouting.

I know they have the Girl Scouts, but girls should be camping with the boys.

I felt that way for a long time when I was a kid.

It was a huge mistake to make the Boy Scouts exclusively for boys. All those hot, dusty hikes then sleeping in leaky old pup tents. Building campfires and eating warmed up baked beans. Having farting contests. You call that fun?

That'll change. Delivery pizza to backyard camp outs. Merit badges for best makeup. Mothers hovering over their darlings.

"But good God," who would ever want to preserve old-fashioned scouting ... unless they were a grumpy, inflexible, curmudgeon?
Ok hoop, my high horse has been put to pasture!!! Promise!!! Besides I now have girls to go camping with so who needs the Ford Barn!!! Or high horses for that matter!!!
Old 05-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #39
Hoop

???

Last edited by Hoop; 05-15-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #40
Mart

I bought a 36 Ford coupe like that - someone else's abandoned street rod project. It was my first "expensive" early Ford. I made it roadworthy, ran it for a while but never really fell in love with it. I looked at a 40 coupe that needed work but was only mildly rodded with all early ford running gear, just a dropped axle and some de-chroming. I realised it was all that stock stuff that I really wanted so struck a deal. I sold the 36 and was able to buy the 40. That was another project but again set me up so that when my 33 became available I was able to buy that.

So sometimes, buying a street rod in good condition, may be a good thing, even if you are primarily attracted to the more stock or mildly modified stuff.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote