Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
Paul Bennett

Default 50 Merc Steering Box - removing the box w/shaft

I wish to R&R my steering box. My steering is sloppy and the turn signal wiring needs replacing, tasks which involve either end of the shaft. I've made arrangements to professionally have the box rebuilt.

I've read and reread the shop manual many times and have read the many posts here and HAMB. And I have envisioned the task in my mind many times. SM states - Removing wiring, removing firewall cover plates, loosening the column clamp, removing shift rods. Final step simply states "Remove 3 bolts holding the box to the frame and remove the assembly from the vehicle".

I keep coming back to getting the steering shaft out of the column without raising the car on a lift to gain enough clearance. In my mind, I can't get the steering box down clearing the axel stuff using the clearance provided by opening up the firewall cover pieces.

Starting to wonder if one slides the column off the shart INTO the interior of the car and then removes the box INTO the interior. ??

IF you have removed a '50 Merc box, give me a hint please. IF you don't know more than I do, hows to read the results I'm looking for. Respectiful thanks.

Last edited by Paul Bennett; 06-05-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:01 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 50 Merc Steering Box - removing the box w/shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bennett View Post
I wish to R&R my steering box. My steering is sloppy and the turn signal wiring needs replacing, tasks which involve either end of the shaft. I've made arrangements to professionally have the box rebuilt.

I've read and reread the shop manual many times and have read the many posts here and HAMB. And I have envisioned the task in my mind many times. SM states - Removing wiring, removing firewall cover plates, loosening the column clamp, removing shift rods. Final step simply states "Remove 3 bolts holding the box to the frame and remove the assembly from the vehicle".

I keep coming back to getting the steering shaft out of the column without raising the car on a lift to gain enough clearance. In my mind, I can't get the steering box down clearing the axel stuff using the clearance provided by opening up the firewall cover pieces.

Starting to wonder if one slides the column off the shart INTO the interior of the car and then removes the box INTO the interior. ??

IF you have removed a '50 Merc box, give me a hint please. IF you don't know more than I do, hows to read the results I'm looking for. Respectiful thanks.
Yes, I removed the whole ( '51 column and shaft assy.) from the inside. (w/o steering wheel)
If you'r lucky the worm gear won't look like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (289.5 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 06-06-2018 at 05:31 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
19Fordy

Paul,
As I recall, if you remove the front seat you will have lots more room and be able to very carefully pull the steering box and shaft up through the fire wall. Wrap the top end shaft in cloth so as not to poke a hole in your headliner. The directions in the Merc Manual are lacking in substance. Or, you could remove front sheet metal. (Just kidding.) Take photos and don't lose those steering box mounting bolts. Hope it works out for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car#2bb.jpg (103.0 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-06-2018 at 08:23 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
51 MERC-CT

My Merc. manual shows it being removed from the inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remove steering.jpg (263.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
rotorwrench

You can remove the seat but it will still come out if you don't. The hole in the toe board is large enough to tilt the column & box assembly toward the passenger side and pull it up into the cab. Obviously, this requires the column clamp to be removed. Just keep track of all the pieces as you go.

The column tube can be removed before or after. I've had to change shift tubes a time or two so I know it can be done but it complicates things a bit more. It's easier to pull the whole thing less the steering wheel.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #6
Paul Bennett

Ok thanks to all. Got those plates in the firewall removed and awaiting help as I can't handle the front seat by myself. I'm skipping a step by assuming the box needs to be reworked, have made arrangements with Lares Co for rebuild. My first car had a bad box and this car is loose - when underneath I found steering links were all tight plus it can't hurt to get the steering box done.

Last edited by Paul Bennett; 06-14-2018 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
tubman

May not be quite the same, but I sold a couple of '48 Ford axles, and I went to the local office supply store (who also reps for Fedex and UPS) and they had some boxes that were just the right size. I cut pieces of plywood to fit into the ends of the box and stuffed the rest with newspaper. It worked out fine. What you have to watch out for is the end of a shaft punching through the end of the box. That's what the plywood is for.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
19Fordy

Be sure to drain the fluid and remove pitman arm. You can make a box by cutting up and fabbing another big cardboard box to size using contact cement as glue. Done it many times.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #9
Kahuna

You may also find that using PVC tubing will work to protect the steering shaft for shipment. Either in a box or not, with at least something to protect the gear box itself
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
19Fordy

The cardboard rollers that home carpet is stored on in Lowes and Home Depot would be excellent. Or any carpet store.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
Paul Bennett

Column came out into the car. First removed clamp at bottom near steering box, disconnecting turn signal wires, snap rings holding the transmission controls. The seat was never a problem (removal). I removed the steering wheel as I plan new turn signal wires but I think the steering wheel could stay in place.

Steering box with shaft came out into the engine compartment. Solo job. First removed 3 box to frame bolts. Couldn't get the pitman off dispite a hd puller and acetylene heat. Had machine shop remove it for $10.

Next, boxing the steering box/column for the UPS triip to Lares Co in Minnesota. AND ordering new turn signal wires for column

Last edited by Paul Bennett; 06-14-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #12
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Column came out into the car. First removed clamp at bottom near steering box, disconnecting turn signal wires, snap rings holding the transmission controls. The seat was never a problem (removal). I removed the steering wheel as I plan new turn signal wires but I think the steering wheel could stay in place.

Steering box with shaft came out into the engine compartment. Solo job. First removed 3 box to frame bolts. Couldn't get the pitman off dispite a hd puller and acetylene heat. Had machine shop remove it for $10.

Next, boxing the steering box/column for the UPS triip to Lares Co in WI. AND ordering new turn signal wires for column
Seem to recall that when I replaced my turn signal wires they had to be soldered to the switch.
And then there's fishing them thru the raceway
Old 06-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #13
1949mercury

Where did you get your turn signal wires ? Macs or Carpenter?
1949mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:20 AM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949mercury View Post
Where did you get your turn signal wires ? Macs or Carpenter?
Here-------------------

http://www.riwire.com/
Old 06-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #15
19Fordy

Paul, Be very careful to not damage the fragile turn signal switch mechanism as they are delicate and hard to replace. Take photos.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #16
rotorwrench

Some of the new replacement wire of the original type woven covering is a bit larger than the original wire made by Ford or its subcontractors. The modern stuff has the cloth woven over somewhat thick plastic insulation and it makes the cross section larger in diameter due to that. Real estate in hard to come by in that rather confined passage way inside the column. I have one all soldered up to install in one of my cars but ended up using an NOS replacement switch on the other. The FoMoCo replacement part has wire with plastic insulation since it was likely made in the later 50s when that was the norm. It fit easily into the column passage. I haven't compared the Rhode Island wire to the stuff made up in Oregon (available from Mac's and others) so I don't know if there is a difference in cross sectional diameter but I do know it is a tight fit with cloth covering on the wires inside there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #17
Paul Bennett

Rhode Island wire is $63 and Macs $24 plus Macs has the needed column firewall bushing (shipping duplication always a factor).

I'm considering pulling my own wire especially with RotoWrench's wire diameter information. I don't need all those tracer colors to connect wires with a limited color selection. And I don't think a cloth braided loom is essential with the availability of shrink tube. I don't think fishing through the column will be difficult especially if I go with 2 groups of wire ... which also makes the color coding easier.

I also need a new steering column rubber bushing, the one at the firewall which I wish I could zap it into place ... I will probably end up cutting it rather than taking apart the column upper head. ROTOR I read where you gained expertise in replacing the transmission tubes inside the column (speed shifting is culprit here - btdt) Do you have any thoughts about an easy way to slip that firewall rubber bushing? Or is my thought of cutting the bushing to get it on just a chicken way out?

And to those cautioning me about working at the turn signal switch solder operation - point taken ... I will solicit help as my solo vision makes that soldering operation scary. Granted those switches are not being reproduced.

Just spent the last two days building a 20# shipping container for the steering box. 50"x15"x5.5". UPS tomorrow. edit: Built a shipping container for $10. Shipped UPS Oregon to Minnesota $90.

Last edited by Paul Bennett; 06-14-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #18
51 MERC-CT

Quote:

I'm considering pulling my own wire especially with RotoWrench's wire diameter information. I don't need all those tracer colors to connect wires with a limited color selection. And I don't think a cloth braided loom is essential with the availability of shrink tube. I don't think fishing through the column will be difficult especially if I go with 2 groups of wire ... which also makes the color coding easier.

And to those cautioning me about working at the turn signal switch solder operation - point taken ... I will solicit help as my solo vision makes that soldering operation scary. Granted those switches are not being reproduced.
If I were ever to do another one I probably would make my own as those wires are out of sight.
The cloth braiding is more for identification not protection. later wires do not use it.