Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
calvin amerson

Default front brake problem

hi guys! I do not often post tho I have watching for a while, today I have a problem with brakes on my 31 tudor, I have new drums by mel gross new woven shoes(snyders) brake floters by flathead ted, the other day was in a local parade, on the way home kept noticing left front kept pulling when applied upon inspection it was found that the adjustment had tightened on its own ( new adjusting wedge ) now this is the second time this has happened, my addled brain cannot picture how this could happen given the components involved, any advice welcome.
calvin amerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Vic in E-TN

Default Re: front brake problem

Randy Gross recommends bonded brake shoes for his new drums. Using woven linings may or may not be the reason you have problems.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
Al 29Tudor

You say the adjusting wedge at the top of the shoes is turning? Do you get a very positive click when adjusting the wedge? The adjusting shafts should be engaging the adjusting wedge and held by the long spring across the top of the shoes.
If you get that positive click then something is not allowing the operating wedge to retract. If at the bottom the operating wedge is binding and not retracting it could be the operating shaft or operating pin or any of the wheels, pins, springs or the stud assembly. Is the stud tight or loose? Can you disconnect the brake rod and operate the brake by hand to watch the mechanism move.
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
bettlesr

Doesn't the floaters from Flathead Ted use locknuts to keep the adjusters in place. They don't use the regular adjusting wedges. Maybe the lock nuts came loose or are not there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrakeLockNut-s.jpg (78.7 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by bettlesr; 07-21-2014 at 10:19 AM.
bettlesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic in E-TN View Post
Randy Gross recommends bonded brake shoes for his new drums. Using woven linings may or may not be the reason you have problems.

Vic
Lining material is either woven or moulded, the attachment method
is riveted or bonded (glued).

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

I can't see how the type of lining that is used will cause the problem that you are having. I'm not saying that they aren't good, its just that Teds setup is completely different than original. People that are use to the original setup usually can't help. You may need to ask Ted.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
calvin amerson

thanks to all here are answers to some of the questions 1. there is no lock nut.2.yes the adjustment is tightening question is how. 3. yes there is a distinct click during tightening or loosening 4. yes they are bonded from snyders
I could consider any suggestion however all four are new drums all four are new shoes both front have the identical parts only the left is giving the problem.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I haven't seen Ted's floater kits WITHOUT the lock nuts. Someone must not have changed that part, and kept using the original adjustment cone. Ted's has a floating cone that is pushed outward with something like a flat head on an elevator bolt. Since this bolt would turn smoothly in and out, it would need a locking nut to keep it from turning.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
calvin amerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I haven't seen Ted's floater kits WITHOUT the lock nuts. Someone must not have changed that part, and kept using the original adjustment cone. Ted's has a floating cone that is pushed outward with something like a flat head on an elevator bolt. Since this bolt would turn smoothly in and out, it would need a locking nut to keep it from turning.
I understand what you are saying Tom and it makes good cents , no i did not get this with kit perhaps therein lies the problem will probably go back to orginals thank for the imput
Old 07-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
insomniacshotrods

Mine have locking nuts and do not click when adjusting.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #11
pat in Santa Cruz

As Tom said, Teds floaters must have the lock nut or they will re adjust themselves. It could be the one lock nut was not tightened and vibrated off. If so the lock nuts should be apparent on the other 3 brakes. If the other brakes also do not have locknuts, the question now is, how are they staying adjusted without tightening or loosening?. Somethings fishy here. I would pull all the drums and thoroughly inspect all brakes, especially the adjusting wedges.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
Allanw

There absolutely ARE locknuts on Teds floaters... I have them. There is NO click in the adjustment. Did you fit them yourself? Maybe only the bottom floater part has been fitted?

At a show recently, Dad was talking to Ted, who was questioning if we'd brought HIS GENUINE floaters, because there had been reports of copies being sold under his name.

I brought ours direct from Ted himself, so was pretty sure they were genuine
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote