Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2020, 12:19 AM   #1
Brian

Default brake problem

I've been converting my 35 to Bendix style brakes. I cannot get a pedal....
I am convinced the RH front wheel cylinder is bad.
Long story, but I'll try to give all relevant details to enable you to make a diagnosis.
Master cylinder and all wheel cylinders were purchased from Summit. When they arrived, the m/c was made in Taiwan, all wheel cyl's were chink.
Master cylinder 1 1/16 bore. Front wheel cylinders 1 1/8 bore. Rear w/c's 7/8 bore.
I am running a remote reservoir up on the firewall with a line into top of m/c.

Fitted everything up to discover the rear wheel cyl's were tapped 3/8 24 UNF. Does not suit the 7/16 tube nuts required for Ford 1/4" lines.

Ordered more rear cylinders from James @ Gotham City...
Fitted them and plumbed up.
Attempted to bleed all brakes. No pedal.
By a process of elimination; plug the tee at back of master cylinder that runs to front brakes, I could get a good hard, high pedal which indicates to me that the rear brakes are 'sweet'. Plumb in the front brakes, pedal goes to floor. No leaks apparent anywhere. Reading on here that some chinkee cylinders don't have the bleed nipple at top of bore, I've unbolted front cylinders from backing plates, leaving the hoses attached, removed the links and boots, and used Gclamps and plastic endcaps to prevent the pistons from being blown outta the bores, I again bled the cylinders, being able to position them in various positions to preclude the possibility of any air remaining. Good hard, high pedal.
Left overnite. Next morning, pedal was still the same, so removed Gclamps etc, fitted links and boots, bolted wheel cylinders back onto backing plates, refitted shoes, springs drums. Still a good hard pedal. Left overnite....
This morning still the same, so refitted wheels, took car for a spin; pedal goes to floor. Only the rear brakes would lock up on my gravel driveway.
Back home, attempt to bled brakes; no air is coming out, only fluid.
If I clamp visegrips on the rh hose, pedal is high and hard. This indicates to me that the rh cylinder, I dunno, seems to be sucking air in somewhere. Again, no sign of leakage anywhere.
This rather long narrative is really a very condensed account of what I've been attempting for the past two months.
I am sure that James at Gotham City could supply 'decent' cylinders, but it is impossible to get anything from the US of late [no planes].
Or....have I diagnosed this incorrectly?
Bear in mind, my car is RHD; the brake line Tee's off off the RH side to the RH wheel before continuing around to the LHS