Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
fourbangerbob

Default Title--What does your state do??

I live in Minnesota I have a 1930 Model A frame that I bought in Missouri with a bill of sale, it never had a title.

How did or does your state verify the serial number on the frame?
Make 2 trips,, body off-- to see the number and next trip, body on to inspect the entire car?
Have a policeman verify the number with the body off?

I cannot get a answer from the Minnesota motor vehicle dept!!!
fourbangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
JohnB15632

Default Re: Title--What does your state do??

Here in Pennsylvania my vehicle had not title.

I had to get an impression, a picture, a notary. I had to send a registered letter to all who might have had previous ownership of the vehicle. In my case it was only my sister-in-law. I had this response, a title declaration, and my driver's licence and I then had to appear before a judge. The judge issued a decree that the vehicle was free and clear.

I took all of these documents to the AAA. There, they knew where and who to send the documents to PennDot.

In one week, I had a title with the vin number that came off the frame.

It was incredible easy because I was lucky to have county employees willing to help.

I HAVE A TITLE!!!!

Thanks,
JohnB15632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
Ted Duke

this may not be right, but sounds logical:

http://www.dmv.org/mn-minnesota/title-transfers.phpNo Proof of Ownership

If there is no available title for a vehicle, and the Division of Driver and Vehicle Services had no record of ownership, submit the following to the DVS to complete a car title transfer:
  • A completed Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (Form PS2000)—Seller and Buyer. In place of the seller filling out the appropriate portions of the application, a Bill of Sale can be submitted.
  • A complete Statement of Facts (Form PS2002)—Seller must provide as much information as possible about the vehicle's history, including:
    • How and when the car was acquired.
    • Why there is no proof of ownership.
    • Vehicle identification number (VIN).
    • Make, model, and year of the car.
  • A Statement of Protection—Buyer. You must make the following statement and sign:
    • “I agree to defend and protect the State of Minnesota against any and all future claims of ownership which may arise after I am issued a Minnesota title and registration card."
  • Photos—Buyer must submit pictures that show all sides of the vehicle.
  • Bonds—Buyer. You MAY be required to obtain a surety bond to protect the state from any claims of ownership. The DVS will notify you if you need to meet this requirement.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
Rex_A_Lott

Every well meaning soul that gives a reply is nearly useless...unless they live in YOUR state. Those are the nitwits you have to satisfy.
Try your local AAA, they may be able to help you jump through the hoops. Good Luck!!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Rowdy
BANNED

If your state has the provision. It is time to apply for a bonded title. Everything should clearly layed out. Here the local sherriffs office does the inspections for a small fee. Rod
Old 03-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Some titles were reported very easy ...... some difficult ...... some almost impossible.

In my opinion, it is similar to going fishing for the first time:

A. In an unknown lake, with an unknown rod, unknown reel and unknown bait; and,

B. Ttrying to land an unknown fish.

Please stay calm, smile often, and do not give up.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I took picture of my car and a pencil etching of the motor number, plus the notarized bill of sale to the DOT. After a bunch of red tape and running around I got a title that will be bonded for three years. That was about 10 years ago in MN.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #8
1937pickup

Are you building a car from parts or do you have a complete car? If you have a complete car you will have to indemnify the state and provide a surety bond, this is what Tom said. I had to do this with a car I bought from Georgia. They will issue a bonded title. If you are building a car from parts, keep all your receipts for the parts and you will have to go to St. Paul where they will inspect you car and paper work. They then will issue a vin number and put a tag on the driver's side door frame. If you are a member of MSRA they can be a resource. You can also look up the regulations on line. Hope this helps.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
1931flathead

take 4 pic of it have a bill of sale and they will give you a peace of paper to have him sine and you can make a vin number up you will have to bond it most of the time it is getting easer in minn the state will tell you what the car is worth so do it as fast as you can and not all fixed up
1931flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:26 AM   #10
darrylkmc

Default Alaska Title

Alaska:

Link to Statutes:

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/.../Chapter10.htm

This is Alaska, as Tom W. mentioned, a Bonded Title here will get you a clean Title in 3 Years.

Darryl in way to warm Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #11
Pete / MA

Titleing of an antique in Massachusetts was very difficult and confusing, even to the DMV employees.

This past fall I moved to NH and it took me 15 minutes at the local town offices and no title was required. I'll keep my MA title with my other vehicle documents.

Funny how 2 states can be so different.
Pete / MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #12
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

It was easy for me in Illinois, Sarah had a Indiana title back from the 70s, transferred without difficulties. Confusion came later when I wanted to put Y of M original plates on her, seems I was the first to do that and reading the DMV law was confusing for them but it did got straightened out.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #13
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
It was easy for me in Illinois, Sarah had a Indiana title back from the 70s, transferred without difficulties. Confusion came later when I wanted to put Y of M original plates on her, seems I was the first to do that and reading the DMV law was confusing for them but it did got straightened out.
I found the Illinois Year of Manufacture plate policy very simple-- one need only to have a valid Illinois Antique Auto License plate to use a Y of M plate on an antique car. DMV not needed. All you need to do is have the current/valid Illinois Antique Auto License plate with you in the car while you are displaying Year of Manufacture plates. It doesn't get easier than that.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #14
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete / MA View Post
Titleing of an antique in Massachusetts was very difficult and confusing, even to the DMV employees.

This past fall I moved to NH and it took me 15 minutes at the local town offices and no title was required. I'll keep my MA title with my other vehicle documents.

Funny how 2 states can be so different.
Yup
I have helped a lot of MA friends get titles. MA will honor a NH Notarized bill of sale as proof of ownership since NH does not title. I have bought and sold a lot cars and a few boats that I never brought home....

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #15
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I found the Illinois Year of Manufacture plate policy very simple-- one need only to have a valid Illinois Antique Auto License plate to use a Y of M plate on an antique car. DMV not needed. All you need to do is have the current/valid Illinois Antique Auto License plate with you in the car while you are displaying Year of Manufacture plates. It doesn't get easier than that.
The confusion was, Antique plates vs Antique "Extended" plates...for Y of M plates to be displayed, the rules say, it must be registered with Antique Plates. It doesn't say 'Extended Antique' plates and that's were the confusion laid. I have Ext Antique plates because I don't want time limits and place limits when and where I can drive Sarah that Antique plates have. It came down to, however one reads the law is how a citation will be issued or not...............

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #16
mshmodela

I purchased my car from Pennsylvania --with a PA title.. I live in Ohio:

http://bmv.ohio.gov/titles-out-state.aspx

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
1931 flamingo

I believe the info he needs is in POST # 3.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
Midnightcaper

Did they put a number on them in 1930 or did they go my the number on the motor?
Midnightcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #19
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
Every well meaning soul that gives a reply is nearly useless...unless they live in YOUR state. Those are the nitwits you have to satisfy.
Try your local AAA, they may be able to help you jump through the hoops. Good Luck!!
This is what you need to pay attention to. All the stories are interesting-ONLY the ones from MN are worth paying attention to. One thing is for sure. DO NOT invest a dime until you have a clear title. Then, you can tell your story to others.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #20
darrylkmc

The Thread is titled: Title--What does your state do??
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote