Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Pete W.

Default 30 cabrolet on Ebay

There is a 30 cabriolet on Ebay selling in 4 hours. Top notch professional restoration with no bolts un turned. Past numerous national show winner.
For this reserve I'm sure he has much more in it!

#181643064124 must see!
Pete W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
larrys40

Default Re: 30 cabrolet on Ebay

I can tell you it is Arlen Bieber's cabriolet
It is top notch, and a national winning point car with cridentials

I would think it can't be duplicated for what he is asking
I can't believe it isn't gone yet . If you want a super nice authentically restored cabriolet this is it

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Pete W.

I would say this is the best, highest point cabriolet out there!
Pete W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

My guess is that the $30,000 dollar start bid was a major mistake on his part. Even 30 K does not meet reserve. I personally will be surprised if it sells. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 01-24-2015 at 05:37 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Afordman31

Fifteen minutes left, Afordman31

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181643064124...124%26_rdc%3D1
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Real nice.................did he have the floor carpet special made, anyone know?

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Slotblog

I would agree that the starting bid probably was a bad idea. Better to start lower and put the reserve at the higher level.

The eBay listing ended without single bid.

This car might have had a better chance at one of the well-promoted auctions, though with what the value of Model As has been doing in recent years, not sure it would have made the number the seller desired.
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I think a seller he is not because it was not a good sales strategy !

And 31 I don't know about his carpet but I have the same car and I bought mine at LeBaron Bonney. Wayne
Old 01-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #9
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
I think a seller he is not because it was not a good sales strategy !

And 31 I don't know about his carpet but I have the same car and I bought mine at LeBaron Bonney. Wayne
Don't be so sure. It depends on what the goal was. Some times the goal is actually exposure. That means getting serious folks to come to you. This is a car that deserves and requires a unique interest and awareness that will not reach enough of the right folks in a short time such as Ebay. But look, now there have been over 350 folks look at this thread. Maybe nobody that would be interested in a higher caliber car but maybe someone that would make a phone call or two.

As far as LB goes, yes they offer something for almost everyone. However some folks feel the need to take it up a notch toward authenticity. I can't say for sure what Arlyn did in all areas but do know what he did for the cowl cardboards as I advised him and saw the result which was exceptional. The pic below is from a 1929 Town Sedan I did in 1990. They look identical to the originals and Arlyn pulled it off beautifully on his as well. Does this look anything like the LB version in your car?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Don't be so sure. It depends on what the goal was. Some times the goal is actually exposure. That means getting serious folks to come to you. This is a car that deserves and requires a unique interest and awareness that will not reach enough of the right folks in a short time such as Ebay. But look, now there have been over 350 folks look at this thread. Maybe nobody that would be interested in a higher caliber car but maybe someone that would make a phone call or two.

As far as LB goes, yes they offer something for almost everyone. However some folks feel the need to take it up a notch toward authenticity. I can't say for sure what Arlyn did in all areas but do know what he did for the cowl cardboards as I advised him and saw the result which was exceptional. The pic below is from a 1929 Town Sedan I did in 1990. They look identical to the originals and Arlyn pulled it off beautifully on his as well. Does this look anything like the LB version in your car?

No it does not and from the Ebay pictures I can not see that design in his also. I also do not see the advantage of attracting 350 people unwilling to bid. I would guess that most were gawkers trying to see the price but no interest in buying. I usually agree with you but as far as sakes techniques go we vastly differ on this one.Wayne
Old 01-25-2015, 12:11 AM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
No it does not and from the Ebay pictures I can not see that design in his also. I also do not see the advantage of attracting 350 people unwilling to bid. I would guess that most were gawkers trying to see the price but no interest in buying. I usually agree with you but as far as sakes techniques go we vastly differ on this one.Wayne
Ok, I can live with that. I can say however that I've considered my strategy IF I ever have a need to sell the Roadster. I do have a reasonable strength in presentation so I would certainly differ a bit from what Arlyn did. However I would absolutely use Ebay for exposure ONE TIME if a few well placed phone calls didn't do the trick first. I would NEVER expect anyone following Ebay to have the knowledge and interest to step up unless it was a total fluke/lucky timing.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 AM   #12
SteveB31

I have sold several cars and numerous parts by listing them on ebay, and 50% did not sell on Ebay, but sold later because it was on Ebay, which is great because you then do not have to pay the Ebay fees.

Ebay has its pitfalls, but it does reach people, and Many times more people then the very small number reached on Fordbarn.

I had one part on Ebay last fall with 22000 views on Ebay. That is good exposure
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:24 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Ok, I can live with that. I can say however that I've considered my strategy IF I ever have a need to sell the Roadster. I do have a reasonable strength in presentation so I would certainly differ a bit from what Arlyn did. However I would absolutely use Ebay for exposure ONE TIME if a few well placed phone calls didn't do the trick first. I would NEVER expect anyone following Ebay to have the knowledge and interest to step up unless it was a total fluke/lucky timing.

What you have said here I totally agree with as I do believe the exposure factor is outstanding on Ebay. I took exception to how Ebay was used and not the fact that it was used. Have a great day my friend. Wayne
Old 01-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:

I'll give them a look...Thanks

I was told by an auto eBay seller, he uses eBay to advertise, not to sell. The sale comes later off eBay.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

A guy in our club was banned from ebay for making a car sale outside of ebay.
How does that work, and how did ebay find out?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote